Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Changes For The Better ?

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
amazed at op thinking barnes has been poor was my MOM at palace and a good shift yesterday. Mattock will be great at LB looked absolute class yesterday. Calde was great again against palace and played well yesterday. I think him and reyes can be in the same time with reyes in mf. Bridcutt had his worst game for me for a long time. Vicente did ok but looked slow and knackered after 20 mins but great to see him on the pitch never thought it would happen to be honest. Not sure if we will ever play 442 - so the CMS vokes question is interesting. I have said on another thread today worrying that in the last two games we have looked much better without CMS on the pitch!!

are you being serious about Vicente, glides over the pitch and did Danns for pace.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
are you being serious about Vicente, glides over the pitch and did Danns for pace.

He glides but had to cut across danns due to pace issues . Looked f***ed after the run but has the class to still set up buckley . Let's hope can have a full week training

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
He glides but had to cut across danns due to pace issues . Looked f***ed after the run but has the class to still set up buckley . Let's hope can have a full week training
I can't believe the negativity of some, after the crap of Gillingham,most of the 90's etc, we have a squad which is performing well, developing under a manager who likes to play football, oh i forgot Rome was built in a day.

Just lay off Vicente he has nothing to prove to any of us.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I can't believe the negativity of some, after the crap of Gillingham,most of the 90's etc, we have a squad which is performing well, developing under a manager who likes to play football, oh i forgot Rome was built in a day.

Just lay off Vicente he has nothing to prove to any of us.

my post wasnt negative mate. Re-read most my posts , I'm rarely negative.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
With the loan players bought in (thought Gus didn't like loans?) we have a pretty strong squad.

Having players such as Vicente (who is clearly not going to start any games soon) and Lua Lua to bring on with half an hour to go is a real boon.

Would having a central midfield of Bridcutt AND reyes allow us to start with two wingers? (say Noone and Buckley)

eastterracemike

Jan 31, 2008
Some good suggestions hereand mostly agree with thread stater but Reyes is a right back and Mattock is a left back.
Much as I hate to drop Adam and Calde we need to play people in positon.
Also where is JFC - he needs a starting place esp as Sparrow is out for 3 games. I love the way Sparrow got after the opposition recently.
So for Leeds it has to be :
Brez
Reyes Greer Dunk Mattock

Buckley Bridcutt JFC Lua-Lua/Noone

Vokes CMS Bench : El-Abd Barnes Ankers Vincelot Vicente

The fact that we are struggling to fit all our best players in is a sign that we are ready to push on and try for a top 6 finish.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
But what an embarassment of riches we have at the moment.

Not starting on saturday we had Vokes, Vicente, Mattock, Lua Lua, Noone, Reyes - players who would walk into most teams on this division. Add to this Elphick, Forster caskey, Vincelot, Painter and even Casper and you have to ask if this is the strongest Albion squad ever.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Great post by the OP and agree with a good deal of it. Thoughts on Navarro are spot on - he breaks up play well and his short range passing is good, but when he receives the ball at pace half way into the opponent's half, he will put his foot on the ball when sometimes that isn't what is demanded of that passage of play. I wish that occasion he'd let the ball run and look to our front two for a run, rather than stopping the ball and spreading it wide to one of the full backs.

I think Barnes simply had one of those games where it wasn't happening for him, same with CMS. Neither of them did anything other than what was expected of them, but sometimes things just don't click. Saturday was one of those games, and Gus was right to make the changes he did.

Agree with the El Abd thoughts too, he played well but doesn't look a natural full back. I remember a situation in the first half where he was covered by Greer, but failed to move wide to create an opportunity for the centre back to pass it back to him for an easy clearance and we conceded a dangerous throw. It's that sort of thing that doesn't come naturally to him.

My team for Leeds is similar to that of [MENTION=3647]Munchkin[/MENTION]

-------------------- Brezovan --------------------
Calderon ------- Dunk ------ Greer ------ Mattock
--- Buckley ------- Reyes ------ Bridcutt ---
----------------- Barnes ---------------
------------ Vokes ------ CMS --------

I still like Calderon at full back, he has been skinned BUT he is very dangerous as an attacking option, able to cross AND score goals from distance. Reyes and Vokes in for Navarro and (obviously) Spadge, with Barnes playing where I feel he is most dangerous, just behind CMS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here