Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Changes For The Better ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Interesting hOw people see the game.

I thought Navarro had his best game for us for a long time. He looked assured on the ball and plays gus's, not our way ( I mean the supporters) of playing. That is the crux of this here. Gus likes midfielders who can pass it around and kill opposition ambition. You essentially have two holding midfielders in bridcutt and Navarro in front of the back four and Barnes and sparrow as the creative side. That has now served us tremendously for the last two seasons and gus will not change this.

Now he has Vicente getting back in the fold and Reyes also a skilful ball player. Mattock looked class and I can see a defence of mattock, Reyes, dunk and Greer being the first choice. Harsh on el abd and Calderon.

I think the interesting one is vokes as he does not fit gus's type of player at all.

I can't remember a stronger squad that the one we have now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But until we have a 'proper' midfielder along with LB, Calde/Buckley is currently our only effective attacking option.

We aren't set up to play down the left, Sparrow/Barnes aren't quite the 'proper' centre midfielder.

It's obvious the right play how Gus would like the left to play, but without that other effective (lets say Nolan, for the hell of it) middle man we get over run, box to box.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I get why people would prefer Mattock to start, and it wouldn't suprise me if he does become our regular left back very soon.However, I have two comments to make on it. 1, Mattock needs to learn how we play, and a spell on the bench yesterday was good for him to watch and take it on baord. 2, A better option going forward is fine, but only if he is good enough at defending. I'm not suggestion he isn't, but you know what you get with Adam, and when Leicester went down to 10 it was no suprise to see Mattock come on as we need more quality to get balls into the box.

Jara-Reyes will be right back whether you like it or not. Calderon has been a weak link defending and his crossing generally poor. Reyes will be better in every respect.

Thats exactly why he's been signed. He will get that spot, no question. Plus, i think he's quality.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thats exactly why he's been signed. He will get that spot, no question. Plus, i think he's quality.
He's going to need someone in front of him.
El-Abd has had nobody.
Barnes is even less a left winger than El-Abd a left back.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
But until we have a 'proper' midfielder along with LB, Calde/Buckley is currently our only effective attacking option.

We aren't set up to play down the left, Sparrow/Barnes aren't quite the 'proper' centre midfielder.

It's obvious the right play how Gus would like the left to play, but without that other effective (lets say Nolan, for the hell of it) middle man we get over run, box to box.

I get what you are saying, but we are also waiting for lua lua and noone which gives us a right left wing situation with Buckley.

I think this squad is set up to challenge for the playoffs. Rationally we can say that week in week out they are not up to the premiership, where we can win cup games as one offs, just watching Newcastle and their side is not that different to when we beat them, but the people gus has brought in, a classy premiership full back and a current international Chilean utility type player, the ambition is there

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
amazed at op thinking barnes has been poor was my MOM at palace and a good shift yesterday. Mattock will be great at LB looked absolute class yesterday. Calde was great again against palace and played well yesterday. I think him and reyes can be in the same time with reyes in mf. Bridcutt had his worst game for me for a long time. Vicente did ok but looked slow and knackered after 20 mins but great to see him on the pitch never thought it would happen to be honest. Not sure if we will ever play 442 - so the CMS vokes question is interesting. I have said on another thread today worrying that in the last two games we have looked much better without CMS on the pitch!!

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Agree with most of the above, and whilst Calderon is great going forward and Buckers thrives on his supply, some of his defending can be scary.
Couple of times yesterday he was chasing back and seemed to be running through concrete, still love him to death though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I get what you are saying, but we are also waiting for lua lua and noone which gives us a right left wing situation with Buckley.

I think this squad is set up to challenge for the playoffs. Rationally we can say that week in week out they are not up to the premiership, where we can win cup games as one offs, just watching Newcastle and their side is not that different to when we beat them, but the people gus has brought in, a classy premiership full back and a current international Chilean utility type player, the ambition is there
Noone/KLL/Buckley and Vokes, (you can't play 2 wingers and 1 front man) means Nav and Barnes/Sparrow on the bench.
LB plus 1 just can't hold the mid field.
The reason why we've been doing so well recently is a solid defence and at least 2 bodies in front breaking attacks up.

Have we ever debated the Albion squad from such strength.
Gus has built such a good team I perversely think he's made it hard for himself, for every mistake the side make there's an obvious answer elsewhere on the bench, or GET THIS didn't even make it into the squad!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Noone/KLL/Buckley and Vokes, (you can't play 2 wingers and 1 front man) means Nav and Barnes/Sparrow on the bench.
LB plus 1 just can't hold the mid field.
The reason why we've been doing so well recently is a solid defence and at least 2 bodies in front breaking attacks up.

Have we ever debated the Albion squad from such strength.
Gus has built such a good team I perversely think he's made it hard for himself, for every mistake the side make there's an obvious answer elsewhere on the bench, or GET THIS didn't even make it into the squad!

Totally agree. 1982/3 was a great squad but for the division we are in there is cover for every position...we even have an international goalkeeper who can't get into the match 16

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Agree that Calderon has been skinned by too many wingers lately, even if he does add the attacking dimension. If you were an opposing manager you'd instantly bring in a winger & tell him to just attack the full back.

El Abd isn't a full back, we know that, but he's filling in at the moment.

Barnes had another good game yesterday, & has been one of our best players for several weeks now. Absolutely wrong to criticise him (after all- he even had the ball in the net yesterday, only a questionable offside flag stopped that goal). He's been considerably better than CMS lately & I wish people wouldn't be so quick to get on his back for things other players would be forgiven for.

I personally don't think Navarro is entirely up to it at this level. At the moment he- just about- holds it together, but if we're looking to progress next season I suspect he'll be the one to make way.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
What about AEA with Greer and Dunk, Reyes and Mattock as wing backs, would only need one holding midfielder then. Greer and Dunk ended up doing a hell of a lot of covering for Calde and Adam yesterday where they were beaten for pace.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm surprised how disappointed people were with el-abd yesterday. I thought he played fantastically well in a position he's not used to, he seems to have speeded up and his passing was excellent.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The trouble is El-Abd gives us the grit that we were lacking for a large part of the season before his return. Ok he's not a left back but not sure we can discard him to the bench. If you watch him he is always talking and orchestrating things as we build up from the back. Don't know what the answer is but then that's why Gus get's paid X amount to make these decisions.

The great run in January coincides with El Abd's return. You have to think "who would the opposing winger NOT want to play against". He is the grit in the oyster (that makes the pearl) because by and large as a team we are happy to stand off, keep our shape and let teams have the ball. El Abd is the one who breaks this up, basically "gets into them and f***s them up!". Every team needs one of these.

I don't believe Gus will change things, but part of me likes the 3 at the back formation, especially now that we have Calde/Reyes and Mattock as excellent wingbacks:

Brez
El Abd Greer Dunk
Calde Reyes Bridcutt Mattock
Vicente
CMS Buckley

PG

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
amazed at op thinking barnes has been poor was my MOM at palace and a good shift yesterday. Mattock will be great at LB looked absolute class yesterday. Calde was great again against palace and played well yesterday. I think him and reyes can be in the same time with reyes in mf. Bridcutt had his worst game for me for a long time. Vicente did ok but looked slow and knackered after 20 mins but great to see him on the pitch never thought it would happen to be honest. Not sure if we will ever play 442 - so the CMS vokes question is interesting. I have said on another thread today worrying that in the last two games we have looked much better without CMS on the pitch!!

Really, Vicente slow and knackered? Apart from busting a gut in the 90th to get down the right and provide the winner? And then outpacing Leicester to get Danns sent off in the 94th? Jeez had you left by then?

Vicente was the difference for me yesterday. We looked one dimensional with only Buckley as the option to unlock them before he came on.

PG

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You've picked a 4-4-2 that looks nice. We were playing that formation last year and looked good, but since CMS has arrived Gus has switched to a 4-3-3. That may change with the arrival of Mattock, the left hand side has a been a patch-up job for ages now and thats why Barnes has been playing there. Losing Dicker has also made Gus put more bods in the centre

I will always disagree about Calderon, I think he should be one of first names on the team sheet. Dodgier than some defensively, but our attacking play does not function without Calderon pushing forward.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Really, Vicente slow and knackered? Apart from busting a gut in the 90th to get down the right and provide the winner? And then outpacing Leicester to get Danns sent off in the 94th? Jeez had you left by then?

Vicente was the difference for me yesterday. We looked one dimensional with only Buckley as the option to unlock them before he came on.

PG

other than he had a 15 yard start on Danns and was easily caught - any other player would have been clear on goal and not caught... granted he chested the ball down and crossed it for buckley to score - but nothing more than i would expect from any footballer playing at this level. Btw he had only been on the pitch for 20 mins and looked f***ed in comparison to danns.

But he played 20 minutes and that was 20 more than i expected so i guess thats all good.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Reyes right back
Mattock left back

People under estimate how much Dicker is missed in the middle with Bridcutt

If we play 4-4-2 Noone and Buckley have to be the wide men as they both put a proper defensive shift in

And Vokes up front to finally give CMS some help

Away from home I would leave Vokes out and play Vicente off CMS to make a midfield 5

D

Deleted member 18477

since brezovan has gone in goal, dunk, greer & el abd (when CB) have looked seriously outstanding! they were good before but they look more solid than ever at present.

just goes to show how important the keeper position really is! well done gus for picking the best KEEPER and not the best player with their feet!

personally el abd is too good to leave out. for me this would be my ideal team:

brez

calde - el abd - greer - dunk - mattock

bridcutt - sparrow/reyes

buckley - CMS - vicente/lualua/noone

subs: whoever is going to make a difference in that particular game.

D

Deleted member 18477

PG

to be fair to danns... hes f***ing quick! and quicker than vicente! (not saying vicente is slow and passed it)

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I thought Calde had looked a bit of a liability in recent games but on Saturday I could fault him defensively or offensively. Should definitely stay in the side imo. Keep the same side but with Reyes/JFC slotting in for Sparrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here