Points 41
% points per game = 1.21

McGhee Pl 88
Won 20
Drawn 26
Lost 42
Points 86
% 0.98

Makes you realise what a fantastic job Coppell did. I gave him stick for th manner of his leaving but it is becoming very clear we lost one of the top 5 managers working in football and a possiblt future England manager imho.

McGhee is good and I want him next season but Coppell is much better, facts are facts.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
But he didn't keep us up. Therfore his record means absolutly nothing. I agree that he is certainly one of the best english managers but we still got relegated.

EDIT: I did vote for coppel BTW

Last edited:

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
I would say Coppell, i have tremendous respect for the fella.

He did a great job whilst here, installed confidence in players after Hinschelwood's tenure (mayo, oatway, carpenter). He braught in people with quality who helped us in the short term:

Ingimarsson, Sidwell, Rodger, Blackwell, Roberts. As well as brining in people who helped the promotion cause like Leon Knight.

I wish him all the best next season, and if he wants to loan us Dave Kitson for a few months then i'm all for it.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Wouldn't disagree that Coppell's Albion side were better than McGhee's but I think this stat is misleading.

The Withdean factor was much greater in our first season in the Championship than it has been in subsequent seasons. Put simply most teams know what to expect now.

I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of away results by manager though.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Coppell, although I think he might have had more budget than McGhee.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:
But he didn't keep us up. Therfore his record means absolutly nothing. I agree that he is certainly one of the best english managers but we still got relegated.

EDIT: I did vote for coppel BTW

But Coppell was basically doing the 100m after giving the rest of the field a 20 metre start. The relegation was not his fault, no-one could of done a better job at trying to keep us up.

If we'd of had him in charge from the start of that season I firmly believe he would of kept us up and in mid table too.

The stats are not comparable because Coppell wasn't here long enough to have had the problems of rebuilding Adams' team within the very difficult environment of the Championship, the problem that has dogged McGhee this season - most of Coppell's signings were short-term fixes that in the end didn't work.

All that matters is acheivement. McGhee kept us up in the Championship, Coppell got us relegated. That is all that matters at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Hinshelwood got us relegated.

In the last 23 games, the second half of Coppell's only season we got 31 points and were 9th. Coppell changed us from a side with 4 points out of 36 to a side good enough to be play off challengers.

To say Coppell got us relegated is like saying London Irish admires and respects George W Bush,

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Uncle Spielberg said:

To say Coppell got us relegated is like saying London Irish admires and respects George W Bush,

And early season results dont matter.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
London Irish said:
The stats are not comparable because Coppell wasn't here long enough to have had the problems of rebuilding Adams' team within the very difficult environment of the Championship, the problem that has dogged McGhee this season - most of Coppell's signings were short-term fixes that in the end didn't work.
But Coppell inherited a team devoid of confidence, with glaring holes in the side, and miles adrift at the bottom of the table.
It wasn't time for blooding youngsters, or "ones for the future", it had to be "quick fixes" to get us out of the horrible mess we were in.

London Irish said:
All that matters is acheivement. McGhee kept us up in the Championship, Coppell got us relegated. That is all that matters at the end of the day.
But if Coppell hadn't had a 12 game handicap he would've kept us up, we'd have been mid table.
McGhee kept us up once by the skin of our teeth, and has now taken us down.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
McGhee brought youth players into the team like Virgo. This wouldn't have happened under Coppell who relied on short term fixes like Blackwell.

Uncle Spielberg said:
Hinshelwood got us relegated.

In the last 23 games, the second half of Coppell's only season we got 31 points and were 9th. Coppell changed us from a side with 4 points out of 36 to a side good enough to be play off challengers.

No one disputes that Coppell did an excellent job making up ground very quickly up to February.

But we were then out of the bottom 3!

Is that where we finished?

Contrast that with last season when we fell into the bottom 3 in April. McGhee then regalvanised the team and ensured we stayed up.

It's all about acheivement at the business end of the season Gareth. That's all that counts. McGhee acheived, Coppell for all his fine work didn't.

Silent Bob said:
But if Coppell hadn't had a 12 game handicap he would've kept us up, we'd have been mid table.
McGhee kept us up once by the skin of our teeth, and has now taken us down.

Buts, ifs, should haves, might haves.........all bollix.

We went down - end of story. That's all that counts. Coppell's one season with us, one failure.

Contrast that with McGhee, 3 seasons, two seasons of success, one of failure.

McGhee has achieved far more for this club.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
London Irish said:

We went down - end of story. That's all that counts. Coppell's one season with us, one failure.

It was half a season in the Championship. Not a whole one. And whilst its an if but or maybe if Coppell was here at the start im sure we would have stayed up comfortably

As for magoo its two and a half seasons. One and a half seasons of success and one of failure.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
London Irish said:

Not if, but, or might have. WOULD have.

What has McGhee achieved exactly? At the end of the season we will be back in the same division we were when he took over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here