Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Champions League...what a load of shit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What a load of bollocks the final group games are in this competition. If a team has (a) already qualified, or (b) is already out, then they might ajust as well not bother turning up. Last night we had:

Deportivo 0 Monaco 5 (Deportivo already out)
Roma 0 Real Madrid 3 (Roma already out)
Fenerbahce 3 Man U 0 (Man U already qualified)
Lyon 5 Sparta Prague 0 (both already out/qualified)
Maccabi Tel-Aviv 1 Juventus 1 (both already out/qualified)

The night before you had:

Arsenal 5 Rosenborg 1 (Rosenborg already out)
Celtic 0 AC Milan 0 (AC Milan already qualified)
Shakhtar Donetsk 2 Barcelona 0 (Barcelona already qualified)

What a load of shit. The "big" teams just cannot be arsed once their fate is decided, like Man U fielding all their reserves or just going through the motions. A complete waste of time and money for the fans and everyone concerned.

I really wish the whole competition would just revert to straight knockout all the way through, how it used to be, where EVERY match had a real edge. Money talks though, so I suppose these shit meaningless fixtures between a bunch of couldn't-give'a-toss also-rans who arn't even champions in their own countries will just carry on. Dull dull dull.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
I think a lot of people are realising this, TV audiences are half what they were 4 years ago, and some national broadcasters (who were originally told that Satallite broadcasters could only show hightlights) are pulling out completely.

Thing is I reckon we will have to put up with this present format until the Sky deal runs out in about 10 years time !!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Easy 10 said:
What a load of bollocks the final group games are in this competition. If a team has (a) already qualified, or (b) is already out, then they might ajust as well not bother turning up. Last night we had:

Deportivo 0 Monaco 5 (Deportivo already out)
Roma 0 Real Madrid 3 (Roma already out)
Fenerbahce 3 Man U 0 (Man U already qualified)
Lyon 5 Sparta Prague 0 (both already out/qualified)
Maccabi Tel-Aviv 1 Juventus 1 (both already out/qualified)

The night before you had:

Arsenal 5 Rosenborg 1 (Rosenborg already out)
Celtic 0 AC Milan 0 (AC Milan already qualified)
Shakhtar Donetsk 2 Barcelona 0 (Barcelona already qualified)

What a load of shit. The "big" teams just cannot be arsed once their fate is decided, like Man U fielding all their reserves or just going through the motions. A complete waste of time and money for the fans and everyone concerned.

I really wish the whole competition would just revert to straight knockout all the way through, how it used to be, where EVERY match had a real edge. Money talks though, so I suppose these shit meaningless fixtures between a bunch of couldn't-give'a-toss also-rans who arn't even champions in their own countries will just carry on. Dull dull dull.

I watched the Liverpool game, it was fantastic :)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Couldnt agree more. The sooner the straight knock out format is brought back in the better.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
While I generally agree with you, it is worth noting that several teams you listed (Shakhtar, Celtic, Maccabi) were competing for third in their group which would have put them in the UEFA Cup I believe. So they were probably trying a bit.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anyone who tuned in and saw how pathetic Rosenborg were the other night can't fail to see there is something fundamentally wrong with overstacking this competition with makeweights. The Norwegians barely broke sweat, trotting around Highbury like it was a training game.

And what the hell were Deportivo doing last night ? 0-5 at home to a decent (but hardly brilliant) Monaco. AC Milan and Barcelona clearly couldn't be bothered with the trip either. Man U field a League Cup team. The whole thing is a farce.

The Champions League basically starts in January. Everything before the knockout phase is a waste of f***ing time.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Juan Albion said:
While I generally agree with you, it is worth noting that several teams you listed (Shakhtar, Celtic, Maccabi) were competing for third in their group which would have put them in the UEFA Cup I believe. So they were probably trying a bit.
Whats the point of having a match when only one team on the pitch is actually trying though ?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I never watch any of it. A load of mega rich clubs playing in an elitist competition has absolutely no appeal. The only reason I know which English clubs are still in it is because I watch the news.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Errrrrrrr, they have to get themselves into the position to be able to rest playeys, Easy. It's not as if they had a very easy ride.

I agree taht there should be less teams but to say it's a crock of shit is a bit of an over statement on your part. The Liverpool game was very good last night.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
At least it's got better since they abolished the 2nd group stage - that really was painful. At least it actually matters from now on.

Chopper West

Dec 9, 2004
The Liverpool game was good, but that was the exception rather than the rule.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Easy 10 said:
Anyone who tuned in and saw how pathetic Rosenborg were the other night can't fail to see there is something fundamentally wrong with overstacking this competition with makeweights. The Norwegians barely broke sweat, trotting around Highbury like it was a training game.

And what the hell were Deportivo doing last night ? 0-5 at home to a decent (but hardly brilliant) Monaco. AC Milan and Barcelona clearly couldn't be bothered with the trip either. Man U field a League Cup team. The whole thing is a farce.

The Champions League basically starts in January. Everything before the knockout phase is a waste of f***ing time.

Totally agree with that.

The champions league should be for CHAMPIONS not runner ups too!

For me there should be ONE place available. CHAMPION of the league.

Also once you are knocked out THAT IS IT! I really cannot stand this going into the Uefa cup crap!

The Uefa cup should have TWO entries. The FA cup winner and the league cup winner. If a team does the double then tough shit. We only get one team in Europe.

They moan about their players playing too many games well here is your answer! It would also stop teams like Man Utd, Arsenal, Ranger and Celtic getting virtually guarenteed places in the cup every year.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Errrrrrrr, they have to get themselves into the position to be able to rest playeys, Easy. It's not as if they had a very easy ride.

I agree taht there should be less teams but to say it's a crock of shit is a bit of an over statement on your part. The Liverpool game was very good last night.
Granted. But how hard is it to play the 3rd best team in Turkey a couple of times, chuck in some crap team from Israel, and try to make out its a competition for "Champions".

The Liverpool match was a thriller, but I still wouldn't deride much pride or joy in scraping past a greek team and reaching the latter stages having lost twice and drawn once out of 6 games. Arsenal only managed TWO wins out of 6 and have gone through.

Its CRAP.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lammy said:
T! It would also stop teams like Man Utd, Arsenal, Ranger and Celtic getting virtually guarenteed places in the cup every year.

And then getting the finance from the European Competitions to build better and more expensive squads ensuring that no other teams can creep into the European places and compete with the big 4 or 5 who are there every year.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
I agree with it going back to a knockout competition with only champions qualifying BUT in its defence it does throw up some cracking games. That manure Juve one in 1999 made me hate the scum a little bit less. Textbook soccer action.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Granted. But how hard is it to play the 3rd best team in Turkey a couple of times, chuck in some crap team from Israel, and try to make out its a competition for "Champions".

The Liverpool match was a thriller, but I still wouldn't deride much pride or joy in scraping past a greek team and reaching the latter stages having lost twice and drawn once out of 6 games. Arsenal only managed TWO wins out of 6 and have gone through.

Its CRAP.

Your opinion. At least the proper crap teams have been filtered out eh?

The next stages will be decent.

FACT.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Lord Bracknell said:
And reinstate a rule that applied in the old Inter-City Fairs Cup.

Only one team per city. Chelsea OR Arsenal OR Millwall to represent London.

Now you're talking!

Personally I'd rather watch Rosemary & Thyme than most Champions League matches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here