Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Champions League...what a load of shit.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Re: Re: Champions League...what a load of shit.

REDLAND said:
I watched the Liverpool game, it was fantastic :)

That game just proved the point about knock-out being excellent, group games being shite. Essentially that game was a knock-out. At 1-1 Liverpool were out and Olym were winning the group. 2-1 Liverpool were still out, then it all switches in the moment Gerrard hits the shot, and suddenly Olym are OUT!

THAT is what's exciting, but it's so rare in group stages.

Knock-outs = excellent
Groups = zzzzzzzz

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Granted some of the games were turgid. I flicked onto Roma V Real Madrid for the last 5 minutes on the 1st half and it was like watching a friendly, not helped by the fact that one man and his dog were watching it. The 2nd half of the Liverpool game though was like a proper cup tie and Gerrard's goal got me out of my seat. Liverpool's 2nd half performance was as exciting as anything I have seen this season.

Taking that point further, If you asked me to name some of the best games in the past few seasons (excluding the Albion) I would say Man U V Bayern in the 1999 cup final (everyone hates Man U? Bollox the pub I was in went mad when they won), Man U v Inter in the same season, Arsenal V Chelsea 2nd leg last season, Leeds beating Deportivo in the quarter finals 3 odd years ago and my next favourite game would be Arsenal V Man U in the FA cup when Giggs scored that wonder goal. I personally believe that the Champions league has produced some great games, certainly more memorable than most on Premiership / FA cup games on Sky. There are also rivalries starting to surface which could make for better games in the future Real Madrid / Man U and Bayern all hate each other - I'd love to see either of those play against the other.

Can I just ask one Question. Do people really want just the champions of each country playing? Are Shelbourne really worth their place more than Chelsea or Real Madrid? If you ask me they have got it right, surely that is better than Dynamo red Lion V Shakta Royal oak for a place in the last 8?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Hannibal smith said:
Man U V Bayern in the 1999 cup final (everyone hates Man U? Bollox the pub I was in went mad when they won)

I have to say I was rooting for Man U in that game. But only because it was against the Germans. Any other team, forget it.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
One team per country - then Shelbourne would actually get to play in the real competition and not just the pre-stages.

Why the hell should one country get 4/5 later stage places and another get 2 entries into the lowest of the low qualifying rounds?

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
MYOB said:
One team per country - then Shelbourne would actually get to play in the real competition and not just the pre-stages.

Why the hell should one country get 4/5 later stage places and another get 2 entries into the lowest of the low qualifying rounds?

I personally want to see the best teams - The top 4 in Italy, England and Spain with 3 from Germany provides that. One from each country would just give us a micky mouse competition with mis match's from beginning to end, making some of last nights games look competitive.

In any case, If Shelbourne were any good they would make it through the qualifying rounds.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Be care on Norwegian makeweights - Everton and Bolton might be in it next season :ohmy:

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Hannibal smith said:
I personally want to see the best teams - The top 4 in Italy, England and Spain with 3 from Germany provides that. One from each country would just give us a micky mouse competition with mis match's from beginning to end, making some of last nights games look competitive.

In any case, If Shelbourne were any good they would make it through the qualifying rounds.

Well said, the new system is excellent because you're not knocked out if you have one dicky game.
All our top clubs are represented,it would be a crime if Ars or Chel weren't present and on this occasion the correct 4 clubs from this country are alive and strong.

Long live the new format.:clap:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Hannibal smith said:
Can I just ask one Question. Do people really want just the champions of each country playing? Are Shelbourne really worth their place more than Chelsea or Real Madrid?

Yes I do and yes they are.

The Champions League should involve the champions of each represented country only. Obviously. UEFA should also bring back the Cup Winners Cup. The UEFA Cup format is now a complete joke.

In my opinion, the champions, runners-up and cup winners of each country, along with the previous season's winners of each European competition, should qualify for places in the Champions League, the Cup Winners Cup and the UEFA Cup. The Champions League could include a group stage, but the other competitions should be knock-outs over two legs.

All of the may be going back to the old days, but European cup football used to be exciting in the 70's and 80's. It's absolute garbage now and I can't be arsed to watch it at all. I used to love the big European nights on TV, but I haven't watched a single game in Europe this season, and I only watched one or two last season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Brixtaan said:
Well said, the new system is excellent because you're not knocked out if you have one dicky game.
But that is the very ESSENCE of cup competition. The fact that you have to be on top of your game to avoid being the victim of a shock result. Thats what gave the old European Cup such an edge - you spend a whole year slogging away to win your own domestic League, which gives you a precious golden ticket for ONE SHOT at becoming the Champions of Europe. And you can blow the whole thing in one night. THAT is pure box office.

Nowadays you can canter to 4th place in your own league, not even bother really trying to win it, stumble through some poxy group with a couple of defeats on the way, and STILL end up being crowned "Champions of Europe"...sorry, but thats bollocks. The whole competition has completely devalued the prestige of being European Champions now.

All our top clubs are represented,it would be a crime if Ars or Chel weren't present and on this occasion the correct 4 clubs from this country are alive and strong.
A crime ?? Hardly. Chelsea have gone through comfortably, but Arsenal and Liverpool made very, very hard work of it. Neither of them would be worthy champions. And they won't be.

Last edited:

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
So they made heavy work of it.After the football they've been playing for the last year you can't tell me they don't belong in the last 16 of Europe's top teams.You cannot have nearly 2 years of hard work spoilt by a shit ref,foul or silly mistake in a game played in the early rounds.

I love the theatre,drama,danger and all the rest but i also want to see justice done to teams that can play and so i'm happy to wait till the spring when things really hot up.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I think the Champions League should be re-named "International Lottery - Euro millions"

And I agree that it is just shite

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Under the current format, a club could become the champions of Europe without ever having won its own country's championship! What a joke that is!

Middlesbrough are going well this season. They could conceivably qualify for the Champions League by finishing fourth in the Premiership, then next season they could win the Champions League while finishing fifth or sixth in the Premiership. That's ridiculous!

Money rules UEFA, and the TV companies provide much of that money, which is why we are currently force-fed the bollocks that is the Champions League and the UEFA Cup.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
I think there is a certain irony in the fact that Leeds United are now facing bankruptcy after chasing the Champions League dream, when in reality they shouldn't have even been in the competition in the first place as they were never the champions (or even the runners-up) of the Premiership.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Cardiff should be there,i've heard they're bigger than Barcelona.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
A knock out format would be better for everybody.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Brixtaan said:
Cardiff should be there,i've heard they're bigger than Barcelona.

As it happens, we are one of a tiny handful of clubs who currently have no avenue into European competition at all. We can't represent Wales and we can't represent England.

Bigger than Barcelona? No. But bigger than Brighton perhaps.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here