Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Champions League Final : Barcelona v Arsenal

Yoda

English & European
Arthritic Toe said:
1. If the letter of the law were applied and the advantage had been played, surely the goal should have stood AND Lehmann should have gone.

But the same thing happened with Chelsea Vs Liverpool, either this season or last season (can't remember which), and the advantage was played, goal scored and the 'keeper only booked.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Norwegian ref f***ed up, and he's now admitted it. Would it have made any difference to the outcome if he had done the right thing? Of course not, Barca were and are the better team, and so it was proved.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann says he is sure he will cross paths with Barcelona's players again and will remember their gestures to encourage his sending-off in the Champions League final (Guardian).

Because you never dive around and claim you have been hit to get players booked and sent off do you Jens?

Cock - sums everything up about the hypocrites at Arsenal

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Arthritic Toe said:
1. If the letter of the law were applied and the advantage had been played, surely the goal should have stood AND Lehmann should have gone.

I don't see how - what would he have been dismissed for?

It wouldn't have been denying a clear goalscoring oppurtunity, as the goal would have been scored, and I wouldn't have thought you could construe it as serious foul play.

For me, it's either free-kick & red or goal & yellow. Arsenal got the better end of the deal anyway, so have little cause to complain - not that that's ever stopped them before.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Repugnant Toad said:
I don't see how - what would he have been dismissed for?

It wouldn't have been denying a clear goalscoring oppurtunity, as the goal would have been scored, and I wouldn't have thought you could construe it as serious foul play.

For me, it's either free-kick & red or goal & yellow. Arsenal got the better end of the deal anyway, so have little cause to complain - not that that's ever stopped them before.

Well, you're right - thats the reality of it. But why should it change the original offence? Whether or not the ball goes in the net or not at the end of the move has nothing to do with the intent of the fowler on the fowlee (legal term :) ).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here