Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Champions League 2024/25

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Over half of last night’s games were victories by 4, or more, goal margins. Pointless.
I'm not sure that's the fault of the new format. The opening group games have always been dull, lop sided affairs.

Although it's always nice seeing the old firm absolutely spanked. Who'd have thought Celtic would struggle against clubs that aren't basically pub teams?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Over half of last night’s games were victories by 4, or more, goal margins. Pointless.
Not pointless at all. Far from it. In fact, under the new format, a victory by margins of 4 or more means a team enters an additional extended league phase where teams are ranked in 7 sections of 3 and a half clubs each across a 9 game mini season, at the end of which one out of 19 teams will be put into a round robin playoff against itself to ensure it can’t be eliminated until the next four phases have been completed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not pointless at all. Far from it. In fact, under the new format, a victory by margins of 4 or more means a team enters an additional extended league phase where teams are ranked in 7 sections of 3 and a half clubs each across a 9 game mini season, at the end of which one out of 19 teams will be put into a round robin playoff against itself to ensure it can’t be eliminated until the next four phases have been completed.
Rumor has it, UEFA felt their format wasn’t complicated enough to they hired the guy responsible for train ticketing in the UK. Seems to have worked

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is completely brilliant, isn't it.

My interest levels in the preliminary triangular-robin single-headers has gone from 'couldn't give a f***', to 'what the actual f***ing f***?'

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I asked him about a return to the old format.

He said it'll have to be two singles.
I can get an ordinary single and a super off peak return with a senior rail card for the early matches (before 10.00 AM).

Straight through to the next round! Bosh.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I'm not sure that's the fault of the new format. The opening group games have always been dull, lop sided affairs.

Although it's always nice seeing the old firm absolutely spanked. Who'd have thought Celtic would struggle against clubs that aren't basically pub teams?

New nickname for my Mrs is “Celtic” as she is always kicking off every 15 minutes 🤣

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ali Mac scores …Liverpool one up

The attack at the other end just before that was clearly offside in real time, as obvious as they come. Yet the commentator missed it and did the scream “and they’ve scored”.

Seems like commentators have given up calling offsides in the VAR era.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Half time Sturm Graz - Club Brugge 0-1.

Yalcouye probably the best footballer on the pitch. Overdoing some stuff, but he's class.

Scherpen also done quite well so far, could do nothing on the goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here