Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Central Brighton to Falmer?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Blimey, you must know how to shift then.

Taking 'Central Brighton' to mean the Royal Pavilion (the landmark used to denote distances to Brighton on main road signposts), it's 4.6 miles to Falmer. Which, at walking pace of 3.5mph is about 78 minutes.

To support Freddie Goodwin, a few months ago, I walked from my house in Coldean to Brighton station and it took 54 minutes.

I'd imagine that a walk from the station to Falmer would be about an hour and a quarter.

It is amazing how few pubs there are on the Lewes Rd considering it's one of the main arteries out of Brighton. I wonder if any other cities in the UK had just five pubs on four miles on its main road (actually, London Rd is little better, I believe there are just seven between St Peter's an Patcham).

D

Deleted User X18H

(actually, London Rd is little better, I believe there are just seven between St Peter's an Patcham).
Yes but you wouldn't go in most of them unless you were very very tooled up.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes but you wouldn't go in most of them unless you were very very tooled up.

A bit harsh that: the Brewery Tap and the C&A are decent boozers, the Black Lion is a terrible pub but perfectly safe and the Hare and Hounds is a bit studenty but would scarcely be in any peril there.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Willl the free travel zone be extended past Lewes and Seaford to Eastbourne etc

I hope so. Eastbourne is the largest town east of Brighton. Harbouring more exiles than Seaford. I have to normally buy a ticket from Eastbourne to Lewes (£5.50+) and then use my travel voucher from Lewes onwards. Seems like f*** all, but then you have the return journey. So all in all it costs me an additional £10-12 on top of a £24.50 match ticket. £36.00. A significant proportion of the cost of the ticket is put away for the bus and train operators. Im paying full price and not getting the full privelage. I wonder how difficult it would be to extend the zone to Eastbourne? (next station from Seaford.)

bah :shrug:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I hope so. Eastbourne is the largest town east of Brighton. Harbouring more exiles than Seaford. I have to normally buy a ticket from Eastbourne to Lewes (£5.50+) and then use my travel voucher from Lewes onwards. Seems like f*** all, but then you have the return journey. So all in all it costs me an additional £10-12 on top of a £24.50 match ticket. £36.00. A significant proportion of the cost of the ticket is put away for the bus and train operators. Im paying full price and not getting the full privelage. I wonder how difficult it would be to extend the zone to Eastbourne? (next station from Seaford.)

why dont you get a bus to seaford

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

What?

Off peak day return Eastbourne to Lewes is £6.10. Why does it cost you "£10-12"? ???

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
To support Freddie Goodwin, a few months ago, I walked from my house in Coldean to Brighton station and it took 54 minutes.

I'd imagine that a walk from the station to Falmer would be about an hour and a quarter.

Agreed. I said 78 minutes, which apart from a 60s pop song is pretty much the same.

It is amazing how few pubs there are on the Lewes Rd considering it's one of the main arteries out of Brighton. I wonder if any other cities in the UK had just five pubs on four miles on its main road (actually, London Rd is little better, I believe there are just seven between St Peter's an Patcham).

I count eight. The difference between London Road and Lewes Road appears to be the nature of town planning. The nature of 20th Century urban and suburban expansions, such as those along Lewes Road, and all built by the Brighton Corporation, didn't include public houses.

The number of pubs along London Road incorporates Brighton's expansion which engulfed the villages of Preston and Patcham, and hence swallowed up the public houses already there.

The point is, pubs serve a community, and arterial routes into a major conurbations are not generally designed to be community-led.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I count eight. The difference between London Road and Lewes Road appears to be the nature of town planning. The nature of 20th Century urban and suburban expansions, such as those along Lewes Road, and all built by the Brighton Corporation, didn't include public houses.

The number of pubs along London Road incorporates Brighton's expansion which engulfed the villages of Preston and Patcham, and hence swallowed up the public houses already there.

The point is, pubs serve a community, and arterial routes into a major conurbations are not generally designed to be community-led.

I wasn't sure whether the strangely named Circus, Circus was a pub or not. I remember going there in its previous existence (the Stanford Arms?).

You make some interesting points about urban expansion - and it's true that London Rd does include the two previous villages. It's worth noting though that, in my lifetime alone, three pubs have closed down on the Lewes Rd (Racehill, Alexandra and the Volunteer) and that's not including the Allen Arms which has been replaced by The Hub.

What's also interesting is that the urban areas of Moulsecoomb, Bevendean, Coldean, the Bates Estate, Hollingdean and Meadowview are served by just two pubs - compare that to the number of pubs in Hanover or North Laine.

As you say, this is mainly as a result of corporation-led expansion not including public houses to encourage people to go drinking in the town centre - I wonder if our forefathers looking at West St on a Saturday night would think that that was such a good idea.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I am just too young to remember the Sunday lunch strippers at The Ship .I do remember my old Dad would go to Bevendean with my Uncles to visit my Grandmother every other Sunday and always have a drink in the Admiral apparently although once (before mobile phones) when my mum needed to get hold of him and rang the Admiral he wasn't there nor had been. When he eventually got home his suggestion he'd been for a couple in the Admiral turned into a lively Sunday afternoon discussion!!! He'd been down the Ship ain't he bless him.

Good story that.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
A bit harsh that: the Brewery Tap and the C&A are decent boozers, the Black Lion is a terrible pub but perfectly safe.

Psstt! You're going the wrong way. :lolol:

D

Deleted User X18H

I wasn't sure whether the strangely named Circus, Circus was a pub or not. I remember going there in its previous existence (the Stanford Arms?).

You make some interesting points about urban expansion - and it's true that London Rd does include the two previous villages. It's worth noting though that, in my lifetime alone, three pubs have closed down on the Lewes Rd (Racehill, Alexandra and the Volunteer) and that's not including the Allen Arms which has been replaced by The Hub.

What's also interesting is that the urban areas of Moulsecoomb, Bevendean, Coldean, the Bates Estate, Hollingdean and Meadowview are served by just two pubs - compare that to the number of pubs in Hanover or North Laine.

As you say, this is mainly as a result of corporation-led expansion not including public houses to encourage people to go drinking in the town centre - I wonder if our forefathers looking at West St on a Saturday night would think that that was such a good idea.
We found ourselves in Queens Park this morning and then took a stroll down Islingwood Road after haven't been that way for a while all the pubs The Constant The Horse and Groom and the Unity still look like proper Brighton boozers there was a Harvey's delivery at The Constant as we walked by proper pub smell.

Bit then you get further down the hill and see the Race Hill at the bottom all boarded up what a shame my old man told me the in the 50's and 60's that place would be rammed on racedays with cabs queued outside ready to take punters up Elm Grove

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I reckon between 75 and 90 minutes depending on how fast or slow you walk. Its a lot longer than you think when your not pissed.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008

I could be wrong but I remember hearing many many years ago that Hollingdean could not have any pubs on it due to the previous owners of the land stipulating that the council could build on it but no public houses could be built. Hence there being nothing except the Stanmer and Hollingbury on the very outskirts

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I'm going to attempt this journey next Saturday to see the stadium before the game. Can anyone reccomend a half way beer stop?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Got to be the Hikers at the bottom of Coldean lane. They even have an Albion themed bar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here