Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Celtic

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That'll be excluding Pat Lafferty (1886), Tom Dunbar (1891-1892), J Tutty
(1899-1900), Archie Kyle (1904-1908), Willie Kivlichan (1906-1907), Colin Mainds (1906-1907), Tom Murray (1907-1908), William Brown (1912), Joe Donnachie (circa.1914-1918), John Jackson (1917), Laurie Blyth (1951-1952), Don Kitchenbrand (1955-1956) Hugh O'Neill (1976) and John Spencer (1988-1992), all of whom were signed before Mo Jo.
Mo Johnson signed in 1989, so that's four Catholics signed in the previous 72 years. Yes, FOUR.

Are you seriously trying to argue the point with embarassingly shit stats like that? f***ing hell.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I think the fact you can name them shows just how rare it was. As for John Spencer, it only came out he was a catholic after the event and many of the others were tenuous to say the least. But at least your post gave us the opportunity to marvel at the name that is Don Kitchenbrand.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Yes but Rangers have form for this sort of shit. Everyone knows that Celtic legend Danny McGrain only played for them because Rangers wouldn't sign him - falsely assuming he was a Catholic based on the fact that his name was Danny. f***ing numpy tosspots.

I'm putting this politely I dont think your'e informed enough on this one Simster (and before the binfest), there a many catholic's who support Rangers and Protestants who support sheltic. As a Rangers fan I have never subscribed to the signing of protestants only, my mums family are catholic, my dads protestant. In fact Jock Stein, whom I would even concede was one of the best British managers ever was once quoted as saying if there were two players up for grabs and he was up against Rangers to sign them, he would check their background. If one was protestant and one catholic he would always sign the protestant first, the other players signature was always nailed on then. Oh and by the way the term is "Numpty"

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
That'll be excluding Pat Lafferty (1886), Tom Dunbar (1891-1892), J Tutty
(1899-1900), Archie Kyle (1904-1908), Willie Kivlichan (1906-1907), Colin Mainds (1906-1907), Tom Murray (1907-1908), William Brown (1912), Joe Donnachie (circa.1914-1918), John Jackson (1917), Laurie Blyth (1951-1952), Don Kitchenbrand (1955-1956) Hugh O'Neill (1976) and John Spencer (1988-1992), all of whom were signed before Mo Jo.

Good homework there pal, don't forget Alfie Conn by the way !

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I'm putting this politely I dont think your'e informed enough on this one Simster (and before the binfest), there a many catholic's who support Rangers and Protestants who support sheltic. As a Rangers fan I have never subscribed to the signing of protestants only, my mums family are catholic, my dads protestant. In fact Jock Stein, whom I would even concede was one of the best British managers ever was once quoted as saying if there were two players up for grabs and he was up against Rangers to sign them, he would check their background. If one was protestant and one catholic he would always sign the protestant first, the other players signature was always nailed on then. Oh and by the way the term is "Numpty"

I think you'll find the actual quote was "I'd sign the Protestant one every time - because I know Rangers would never sign the Catholic!"

I have no idea why you are bringing it up.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
As far as I was aware, celtic never had a restriction on who they could sign. catholic, protestant, Jew, muslims were all welcome. But it,s only in relatively recent times that Rangers allowed the signing of a catholic.

So if we're discussing institutional bigotry, which one is more likely to fit the bill?

The same inclusive team whose supporters were throwing banana's at Mark Walters.....Celtic fans, its your call we as so called racist bigots introduced the first black player to Scotland and your so called best fans in the world reacted like this. I've been told that sheltic were a club that were all welcoming despite colour, creed and religion, then their true face rose
If You Know Their History: Mark Walters talks about debut at Celtic Park

And heres your video evidence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWYpmF1j288

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
The same inclusive team whose supporters were throwing banana's at Mark Walters.....Celtic fans, its your call we as so called racist bigots introduced the first black player to Scotland and your so called best fans in the world reacted like this. I've been told that sheltic were a club that were all welcoming despite colour, creed and religion, then their true face rose

I was there too. The most shameful display I have ever seen. Far far worse than when we signed that black lad in the early 70s (forgotten his name). Those in the Chicken Run who shouted racist abuse were actually rounded on by many fans, which was unusual in those days. Mark Walters having hundreds of bananas thrown at him by the so called greatest fans in the world, puts that accolade well and truly in the 'not really' category!

TNBA

TTF

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
To be honest boys, you have long since dropped the pretence of being Albion fans reacting to current footballing events in Scotland. I am sure there are boards specifically designed for you to have a discussion with your fellow Rangers fans about how much you hate Celtic.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes

Jimbo - if you're being honest then both clubs/fans have nothing to be proud about when it comes to this kind of thing (racism/bigotry). The thing is we need to move on from this but from the outside, it doesn't appear that either Celtic Or Rangers can? Perhaps it'll take another couple of generations (or never) but the majority of the rest of us do not give a flying f*** about the issues that Celtic and Rangers fight about. I'm a half-Irish catholic, but couldn't give a shit about the pope. I'm half-English/British but couldn't give a shit about the Queen. I guess, those two statements would cause great offence to some Celtic and Rangers fans.

As an aside, I used to drink with a Gers fan who had moved from Glasgow down south and he was a smashing lad (but used to rip the piss out of me no end!).

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Quite. And David Murray giving UVF hand gestures on a night out anyone?

Although they were both guilty of it really.

And a UVF hand gesture is what exactly, do your research and come back to me with your answer but more importantly some kind of pictorial or video proof. Balls in your court ! You made the allegation, give us proof.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
I think you'll find the actual quote was "I'd sign the Protestant one every time - because I know Rangers would never sign the Catholic!"

I have no idea why you are bringing it up.

ATFC, does everything have to be spelt out Verbatim in your eyes, you know exactly the point I was making and you seem to appear to know more than me on this one. I bow to your superior knowlege in this case. My only fear is if I have made a spelling mistake. Just for the record can you offer us your opinion on the happy, go lucky sheltic fans featured at the following URL spouting their vile. Quiet day at the dole office in the east end of glasgow that day I think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFx5PORkc6w.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
David Murray never ever did such a thing. A man of true integrity who would never do such a thing.

TNBA

TTF

Exactly Tony, he has probably waved to someone and in sheltics eyes its a Red Hand of Ulster salute. The man is one of high intellect, for the manky mob, to put it more clearly he is a man of honour....Again check this out, there's a prize for the first sheltic fan to dig their way out of this. Please explain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFx5PORkc6w

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
ATFC, does everything have to be spelt out Verbatim in your eyes, you know exactly the point I was making and you seem to appear to know more than me on this one. I bow to your superior knowlege in this case. My only fear is if I have made a spelling mistake. Just for the record can you offer us your opinion on the happy, go lucky sheltic fans featured at the following URL spouting their vile. Quiet day at the dole office in the east end of glasgow that day I think

And here's a contribution from TLB himself:

[YT]1EIpwn3DuuI[/YT]

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Exactly Tony, he has probably waved to someone and in sheltics eyes its a Red Hand of Ulster salute. The man is one of high intellect, for the manky mob, to put it more clearly he is a man of honour....Again check this out, there's a prize for the first sheltic fan to dig their way out of this. Please explain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFx5PORkc6w

And one to finish with Contingents (bigots) of Celtic fans were an absolute disgrace on this occasion. Look at the womens face, to me it looks like she had some personal hurt there. As I've mentioned before this is not aimed at all celtic supporters most of whom, are decent honest people who go for as we put it THE GAME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNJG-FWRu80&feature=related

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Mo Johnson signed in 1989, so that's four Catholics signed in the previous 72 years. Yes, FOUR.

Are you seriously trying to argue the point with embarassingly shit stats like that? f***ing hell.

I lived in Dunoon, Argyll (rangers territory)when Mo Johnston signed for Rangers. Couldn't believe how the locals were all going ballistic because Rangers had signed a catholic. In my honest opinion,both clubs were as bad as the other, but Souness made a brave decision to steal Johnston from the clutches of Celtic, after he had been paraded in a Celtic shirt. The recent good behaviour at the Ibrox disaster anniversary was a step in the right direction.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
To be honest boys, you have long since dropped the pretence of being Albion fans reacting to current footballing events in Scotland. I am sure there are boards specifically designed for you to have a discussion with your fellow Rangers fans about how much you hate Celtic.

ATFC - mean it in the nicest possible way but you come on with your legitimate view which you are entitled to as to how you feel. With the feedback not going your way then its why don't you move on to another board when the facts about sheltic are shown to you. I note still as I write no-one has responded about their fans disgusting chant towards our troops at The Emirates ??

Please watch this and explain

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
ATFC - mean it in the nicest possible way but you come on with your legitimate view which you are entitled to as to how you feel. With the feedback not going your way then its why don't you move on to another board when the facts about sheltic are shown to you. I note still as I write no-one has responded about their fans disgusting chant towards our troops at The Emirates ??

Please watch this and explain

Funnily enough I don't spend Friday night sat on NSC. Not every week anyway - hence me not replying.

What feedback are you even on about? I have barely contributed to this thread! The only point I made was that you wrongly quoted Jock Stein to support your argument. As for the "move to another board" bit, there are no facts that you can or can't show me about Celtic - but as I am an Albion fan and this is an Albion board, I think I'll stay here. Pretty much no-one is arguing with you, and yet about 3 you have managed to keep this thread going with your shit and bigotry - no-one gives a toss! Why don't you all post it on a Rangers board where its probably welcome?

You don't like Celtic - we get it!

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston

Queens Park were the first team in scotland to sign a black player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here