Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Celtic in league 2 ?

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
If the English leagues allowed a Scottish club into their ranks it would go against everything the Scottish/N.Irish and Welsh FA's fight against, which would be the ultimate birth of a British league, which would mean no identity or a country to support internationally, as we would become Team GB. This is why those three FA's are against a British side in the Olympics as they regard this as a green light for FIFA to change their stance on the UK. We won't see a Scottish side in our English leagues, won't happen now or in my lifetime, the smaller countries quite simply have too much to lose and is detrimental towards their own identity. The UK would also lose its four permanent positions on FIFA.

Is the correct answer.

Only chance you will ever see Celtic in same league as Man Utd or Arsenal is as part of a Euro League, not as part of the English football pyramid.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Hate to see it myself but just a thought. The simple way to accomodate them in the EPL would be to increase the league size to 21 for just one season. That way no club would suffer.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Hate to see it myself but just a thought. The simple way to accomodate them in the EPL would be to increase the league size to 21 for just one season. That way no club would suffer.

Why would they be deserving of EPL? SPL isn't the equivalent in quality. They wouldn't be playing the equivalent of Shrewsbury and AFC Wimbledon, with due respect to them, every week.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
If the English leagues allowed a Scottish club into their ranks it would go against everything the Scottish/N.Irish and Welsh FA's fight against, which would be the ultimate birth of a British league, which would mean no identity or a country to support internationally, as we would become Team GB. This is why those three FA's are against a British side in the Olympics as they regard this as a green light for FIFA to change their stance on the UK. We won't see a Scottish side in our English leagues, won't happen now or in my lifetime, the smaller countries quite simply have too much to lose and is detrimental towards their own identity. The UK would also lose its four permanent positions on FIFA.

So should we kick Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham out of the FL?

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
A lot of talk on sky's Sunday supplement about Celtic joining the football league .I know it's been talked about before but sounds like this time they could make a strong bid to join, a massive club 60,000 every week with no opposition even less now with the plight of Rangers . I suppose with Cardiff & Swansea from Wales in the English game why not a Scottish team , if it ever did happen they should be made to start in league 2 and work their way up to the premier league IMO .

Which team in league 2 would lose there place to accomodate the dirty sweaty socks

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Celtic can stay being a big fish in a very small SPL pond. Both them & Rangers are Championship quality at very best. Their 'quality' is soon sussed when they play in Europe. Every year they get found out pretty early.

As mentioned plenty of times, it'll never happen. Football Politics will see to that, thankfully. They can continue handing out 5-0 thrashings each week to the likes of Kilmarn.....Oh?

As for the bigoted faction of their support? No thanks.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If they allowed in the English system, could a club like say Bournmouth or Crawly decide to enter the Scots league and go up to UEFA cup (whatever it now called) qualifying standard plus?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
was there any talk about it Celtic thought this was a good idea? when ever the subject comes along, it always seems to be about whether its a good idea or not, how it could work, how fair/unfair it would be to other league clubs. what if Celtic and Rangers dont want to be in the English league?

OK, so maybe the owners toy with the idea from time to time, but i can assure you the Celtic fans would be none to pleased about it (Rangers less opposed, but still ultimatly Scottish). losing near automatic Champions League entry would be a negative for both clubs outweighing the increases in revenue, assuming they go in to the Premier League, and if they had to join any lower im not sure it would be worth their while financially. like wise, would the English clubs want them, while there might be a financial and marketing interest, 80 odd clubs would be displaced by them and the top half dozen would have a couple of big clubs to fight for those important CL spots.

it seems the only people interested in this idea is football journos who need to fill space every so often. Sky might like the idea in some sort of UK superleague, thinking the current top 8, the two Scots, maybe Cardiff for balance and a couple of others like Villa to make up numbers. veering into franchise territory, with clubs invited to join based on geography and rivallry to make things more sensationalist. ie a crap idea.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I do not want these scots down here. I hope Alex Salmond gets his independence and then we can start the repatriation. How many scots are down here taking our jobs. I am sick to death of hearing that accent on our media outlets. Set the border posts up, the sooner the better.
How many Scots in the English Parliament.......? How many English in the Scottish Parliament....?

shaun the brummie

Jun 4, 2011
I do not want these scots down here. I hope Alex Salmond gets his independence and then we can start the repatriation. How many scots are down here taking our jobs. I am sick to death of hearing that accent on our media outlets. Set the border posts up, the sooner the better.

MACROBLUE......totally agree with you.celtic and rangers are the 2 most deluded and arrogant teams ever.celtic are anti english to a man,love the provo's,glory in their outrages,collect money for them....and expect us english to ignore these facts.rangers are little better...but both would be better off forming a league with teams predisposed to supporting terrorist groups...like ETA..FARC..UVF..RED BRIGADE..ALQUEDA..HAMAS..etc......all in all they can do one.or failing that,give up football and take up the scottish national sport........tossing.......LMAO

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
MACROBLUE......totally agree with you.celtic and rangers are the 2 most deluded and arrogant teams ever.celtic are anti english to a man,love the provo's,glory in their outrages,collect money for them....and expect us english to ignore these facts.rangers are little better...but both would be better off forming a league with teams predisposed to supporting terrorist groups...like ETA..FARC..UVF..RED BRIGADE..ALQUEDA..HAMAS..etc......all in all they can do one.or failing that,give up football and take up the scottish national sport........tossing.......LMAO

Steady on.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Because the standard is so poor in Scotland why should we help them out by allowing them in our league. I hope it doest happen during my lifetime and if them why not Calais as they are nearer to most FL clubs

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Their revenue would be outrageous and therefore the quality of players they could attract would be much higher than many others.

Would that be roughly the same amount of revenue that Rangers have had over the years?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
UEFA wouldn't allow it, as it would lead to a load of other teams joining the the English League hoping to get to the Premier League. If it happens it's the end of the champions league and any european competition controlled by UEFA. Barcelona would join, Real would join, Bayern would join, Juventus would join, AC, Inter, the list goes on. There is a European Super League waiting to happen. Celtic will have to wait for the second divsion of that league.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Hadrians wall was built for good reason. Celtic is one.

The only one actually. Notice how for the last two seasons they have not featured in any pre season games South of the border. The Arsenal experience a few seasons back is typical of what they will do to an area; like locusts.

Here's to the Finnish Champions doing them next week.

TNBA

TTF

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Yes, they are so proud of their welsh heritage, let 'em play in their own league.

This!

Would rather have Luton & York back in the football league.

When Wrexham got relegated they should have joined the Welsh league, they would then get to play in Europe every season.

Alternatively Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham to join the Scottish clubs and form the 'Celtic' league

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would hate, hate, hate to have them in our leagues. If they joined, Rangers would join too (soon enough). Can you imagine the biggest derby in English football being in Scotland?

I don't want them anywhere near our game, and I'd want to help in any way I could to stop it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here