Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Celtic in league 2 ?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Would it work for them to field a reserve team that worked its way up the English football pyramid? Then, when (or if!) they get to League 2, they could resign from the Scottish Premier League and play their first team in the English league?

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
The Scots are paranoid about even allowing their players to represent GB in the Olympics in case it affects their separate national football identity.

Allowing Celtic to jump ship would be a far more extreme move that could compromise their position.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Given plight of Rangers, I would have thought they were more likely to join the English league than Celtic.

Liquidation could actually be (in the longer term) the best thing that could happen to them, IF they have the vision to and patience to accept 7-10 years of lower division stuff.

In fact they could create a Scottish AFC GRFC and host games on alternative Saturdays as they go through the lower Scottish league structure, once the English AFC GRFC had access to the Prem money they could subsidise the Scottish eqivalent...............they could then dominate the scottish league for years after.

Just a thought.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
A lot of talk on sky's Sunday supplement about Celtic joining the football league .I know it's been talked about before but sounds like this time they could make a strong bid to join, a massive club 60,000 every week with no opposition even less now with the plight of Rangers . I suppose with Cardiff & Swansea from Wales in the English game why not a Scottish team , if it ever did happen they should be made to start in league 2 and work their way up to the premier league IMO .

Not relevant if the Socks vote to break away from the Union. (hope they do- more tax money for the English!)

NUFC1892

Feb 13, 2011
Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
Had Celtic at SJP for a friendly a few back and they brought 8k down with them and there was trouble all over the city, I'd expect that pretty much everywhere Celtic went.

Was the same when Rangers came and had 15k with them.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Lot of crap about a nothing subject. Can't spend too long talking about the footie yesterday for obvious reasons so dredge up this old chestnut. I wonder how many people that seem in favour of this spout off about the MK Dons situation and franchise football. As for the situation in Scotland, this will just be a blip on the Rangers history. They will not go out of business as someone will come in and buy them and they will be competing with Celtic either next season or more likely the one after. Juve got relegated a few years back and they were soon back in the top flight and competing in Europe.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No, no, no, no, no, please god I beg of you, no.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not relevant if the Socks vote to break away from the Union. (hope they do- more tax money for the English!)
Obviously Alex Salmond will be trying to steal the oil though. Time to be tough and do what's right - split it per capita.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Maybe they should f*** off and play in the Irish league seeing as they love it so much.

It'd actually be more competitive than the SPL - LOI teams have recently generally strongly beaten any SPL teams they come up against in Europe or friendlies; other than the Old Firm.

However, we don't want them here either.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I would actually like to see it but it will never happen.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
I think it will happen one day but in my opinion they should have to start at the very bottom or maybe the conference north, why should thet just walk straight in to league 2, when theres teams like wrexham fighting for that chance.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Celtic would make a good Championship team as it is now. If they were in the PL they would have HUGE potential. I think it will happen 1 day

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Which team should we kick out of League Two to make room for them then?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
More realistic would be Rangers leaving after going in to liquidation and losing the Scottish Football League status. As I understand the set up the SFL would not let Celtic relinquish their membership but Rangers would automatically lose theirs if they went into liquidation. They could then apply to the English League and say they joined Div 2 it would be the end for Scottish Leagues. Celtic have been going on about how they don't need a strong Rangers, Peter Lawless their CEO , a bitter bigot to boot, has said so. Pretty obvious that the three (SFL, Rangers and Celtic) need each other.

TNBA

TTF

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If the English leagues allowed a Scottish club into their ranks it would go against everything the Scottish/N.Irish and Welsh FA's fight against, which would be the ultimate birth of a British league, which would mean no identity or a country to support internationally, as we would become Team GB. This is why those three FA's are against a British side in the Olympics as they regard this as a green light for FIFA to change their stance on the UK. We won't see a Scottish side in our English leagues, won't happen now or in my lifetime, the smaller countries quite simply have too much to lose and is detrimental towards their own identity. The UK would also lose its four permanent positions on FIFA.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Hell to the no. I don't want some puffed-up Scottish outfit joining the English (and Welsh) Football League. Although, it would be funny to see them make a return journey to the likes of Plymouth or Brighton each season (potentially).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here