Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Celery

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
My Lad who is 11 wants to know all the words to the celery song, the wife say no!!!! Some song words will lead to many questions!!!! what does anyone think?

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
When we used to sit in the old south stand at the Goldstone in the early eighties (I think), we used to love the celery explosion in the north stand.
Sometimes you never quite knew when it was coming, but as soon as the celery song started and all this celery got chucked up in the air, it was so bloody funny.

I think the police eventually stopped it because of elf and safety! I mean who's ever been killed with a stick of celery falling from the sky!!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Being asked to hand over my celery was perhaps one the the more surreal moments of my life.

Its my half time snack. Its healthier than the burgers....

hand it over.....

was worth it just to see the bemused looks of the police and fans at away matches...

My good friend and I Cowfold seagull got stopped by the stewards at Sunderland and asked why we were carrying a bag of the stuff so I told them we were Vegos and they seemed bemused but let us in. I think we got told off for throwing it at half time. On a trip to Shrewsbury I got stopped going into the ground by a Police woman who asked what was in my shopping bag. She could not believe it when i produced a joint of pork, a pound of potatoes, carrots and sprouts. Remember when going to games up north always buy your Sunday lunch as it tends to be cheeper.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Anyone remember the conker throwing session at Oxford United's ground?
We got off the coach under a load of conker trees and were stuffing them in our pockets before we got into the ground but the police were searching all of us and confiscating them.
So we stuffed loads of them in the pockets of our kids (not nice, I know) because the police weren't checking them and when the Albion came out, hundreds of conkers got thrown in the air.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
I think Celery should make a comeback at the championship winning parties which will be held at Colchester and Notts :)

King of California

Apr 21, 2011
Norfolk
25th Anniversary of The Cavemen Crew and Celery Throwing

The Cavemen Crew started the celery throwing tradition back in the 80's. We took bundles of the stuff to various matches and liberated it. The Argus football writer John Vinnicombe used to cover our exploits in his column. That was about 25 years ago. Absolute legend. Where are you Cavemen - we should get a plaque with a celery crest of arms erected at the Amex.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
This looks AMAZING
bananas.jpg

Indeed it does. I'm tempted to get a job lot of them and hand them around at Notts County. Though you buggers can blow them up yourselves...

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
there is some debate over chelsea starting this, and believe it or not swindon were there before chelsea. sorry :)

Not a chance. This started one day in the North Stand, about '85 I think. The first time it happened, I recall it being all rather bemusing, but it caught on. Soon, we were all trying to out smart the police, 'smuggling' the celery into the ground.

As for the chap whose 11 year old was about the words, put it this way, if my child was 11, i wouldn't tell them!!

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Not a chance. This started one day in the North Stand, about '85 I think. The first time it happened, I recall it being all rather bemusing, but it caught on. Soon, we were all trying to out smart the police, 'smuggling' the celery into the ground.

As for the chap whose 11 year old was about the words, put it this way, if my child was 11, i wouldn't tell them!!

We only started it after Chelsea did it to us. They were all in both the north stand and the west, and started throwing celery at us, and we then took up the tradition ourselves. Can't quite remember the year.

King of California

Apr 21, 2011
Norfolk
Let's hear it for all the fans who've livened up sometimes dull matches. My favourite was a Boxing Day match against Pompey when we were told by the police to stop blowing on party tooters. The next toot would result in being thrown out of the ground. Collectively we tooted Good Old Sussex By the Sea.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Chef Chef Chef Chef Chef Chef Chef

To the tune of GOSBTS at pre season v Crawley some years back. Possibly the same game where their goalie had a Brighton home shirt on under his goalies top

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here