Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CB40 semi final Surrey v Sussex 04-09-11 ss4

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Sussex Sharks = Sussex Shambles this afternoon!
What an embarrasment! Sussex really were'nt up for it, from the ball that was bowled. A place in the final was at stake for fcuks sake!!
Started off with Ben Brown dropping a skied slog off one of Slurry's openers. That was a sign of thingd to come...!!
Every bowler throw down a wide! 14 Extras is shocking!!
The fielding was very slopping, a couple of over-throws, Monty at his best - letting the ball through his legs for a four!
The batting was negative, taking singles don't win you one-day games! Except from Joyce and Nash they were the only ones who were making the bowlers think and pressure the fielders.
I hate to say, but Michael Yardy needs to be dropped, the players seem so low on confidence, you need a captain to inspire and motivate his players. I hate to see it, but Hamilton Brown led by a true captain, he was everywhere and always talking/motivating his players.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
To be fair to Monty, One was seated right behind the ball and One must say he'd have done well to stop that ball let alone catch it, such was the swerve on the ball.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
The Sussex team had the body language of losers, well everyone but Matt Prior who was energetic, running round the field between balls playing the captains roll with his arm round bowlers etc

Everyone else were just moping and ambling about, which was about right for the shambolic performance they put in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I'm not sure whether to be cross about the apparent lack of effort today, or sad about what feels like the turning of the tide. After years of dominating Surrey, and being the most successful team in English cricket, Sussex are back to being also-rans. I hope it turns out that I'm being melodramatic here, but thats' how it felt.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I dont think its the turning of the tide just yet.

Only about 4 weeks ago we were still in with a chance of winning all competitions. The spectacular demise since then is reminiscent of what Arsenal do every season, and go out of every cup and league contention in the space of 2 weeks.

We have a lot of dead wood to clear out, everyone seems to be out of form at the same time which is very worrying.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
The Sussex team had the body language of losers, well everyone but Matt Prior who was energetic, running round the field between balls playing the captains roll with his arm round bowlers etc

Everyone else were just moping and ambling about, which was about right for the shambolic performance they put in

I know but i would have staked a fortune Prior would get haul out and get caught in the deep early on.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I know but i would have staked a fortune Prior would get haul out and get caught in the deep early on.

Prior seems to want to slog as soon as he is not playing proper cricket.

They need a batting coach, we actually have some talent in our batting line up, but none of our coaches were batsmen (or certainly batsmen of any note). If you look when things go wrong, Robinson tends to blame the bowlers, not the batters, yet we have not taken maximum batting points in the championship this year.

I suspect they need to go back to a smaller squad than the previous couple of years and stop bringing in loop hole players.

They need to get the overseas player right. Rana was good for most of his stint this season, but seemingly he is rather injury prone, however Parnell has been awful this year and Yasser was poor last season. The overseas player needs to be a match winner and too often the Sussex one is not.

Also, I suspect questions need to be asked of Robinson, yes he has won a lot, but this year he has not been able to stem the issues.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not sure whether to be cross about the apparent lack of effort today, or sad about what feels like the turning of the tide. After years of dominating Surrey, and being the most successful team in English cricket, Sussex are back to being also-rans. I hope it turns out that I'm being melodramatic here, but thats' how it felt.

There have been some very 'un-Sussex like' displays of late in all forms. The T20 quarter-final was never really a contest either, and some of the four-day capitulations have been abject. We're going in to must-win games, and getting hammered. I can definitely see relegation unless something changes.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Can't believe how things have declined so fast. Players seem to have lost their edge. Yesterdays' performance was a complete reverse of what our early season form suggested. At that time Surrey couldn't buy a win and we were on a roll.

I hope this result makes them have a serious rethink and show a bit of character in the last couple of games otherwise it will be a long winter.

IMHO our batting has been far too dependent on Goodwin and to some extent Nash and Joyce. If they click we do ok....but have really struggled to post decent totals above 300 in the Championship. We are just not piling up the runs like we have in recent years. If the top order misfired invariably someone like Wright or RMJ would get us to a respectable and maybe winning score.

I acknowledged we have not been helped by Yardy's situation, Wright being injured and Prior being on a central contract. On paper we still have a strong looking side. But if they fail all of this places a lot of pressure on new boys like Wells etc.

The lack of firepower and guile in the current bowling attack highlights just how dependent we were on Mushy, Kirtley, Lewry, Rana etc. Even our fielding has gone downhill, everyone seemed to be cursed yesterday.

Questions have to be asked about the coach and to strengthening the squad starting with a replacement for Goodwin. Plus we can't assume that Joyce, Yardy, Prior and Wright will be around much so need to find some more talent. The captaincy is also a concern if Yardy and Goodwin aren't available.

The overseas bowlers looked good enough on paper but haven't delivered. Parnell in particular. Need a rethink on our selection policy there. Time for the Cricket Committee to get a grip.

its not like its a crisis just yet, when was the last season we didnt win a trophy?

its only been bad for about a month, not the whole season. Admittedly bad is a compliment, it has been truely shocking seeing the decline happen so fast

A couple of months more like:

20 July:- Put Warks in at Hove when we have only x2 fast/medium bowlers, they knock up 520+ and win by an innings.
2 August:- Get 245 vs Somerset at Taunton and have them at 93/7. They end up with 286, we collapse in the 2nd innings (135ao) and lose by 9 wickets.
10 August:- Put Worcs in at Horsham and they get 285! Trail by 25-30 on 1st innings, never looked like we we concentrating throughout and get done by 30 runs or so. Absolute shambles, reminded me of watching the Albion at Carlisle under Micky Adams.
17 August:- Some relief, we get pts from a draw vs Yorks at Scarborough after they end up 30 runs short chasing 345 at 6/over.
31 August:- Durham at Hove, absolute car crash. Sx never in the game.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
A couple of months more like:

20 July:- Put Warks in at Hove when we have only x2 fast/medium bowlers, they knock up 520+ and win by an innings.
2 August:- Get 245 vs Somerset at Taunton and have them at 93/7. They end up with 286, we collapse in the 2nd innings (135ao) and lose by 9 wickets.
10 August:- Put Worcs in at Horsham and they get 285! Trail by 25-30 on 1st innings, never looked like we we concentrating throughout and get done by 30 runs or so. Absolute shambles, reminded me of watching the Albion at Carlisle under Micky Adams.
17 August:- Some relief, we get pts from a draw vs Yorks at Scarborough after they end up 30 runs short chasing 345 at 6/over.
31 August:- Durham at Hove, absolute car crash. Sx never in the game.

an that's only the 4 day format. In limited overs cricket we went from an accomplished side, with a plan, strong batting, varied bowling, who seemed to be able to win in both formats, to completely clueless. We fell over the line (in terms of qualification) in both 20/20 and 40 over formats, based upon our early season results.

an that's only the 4 day format. In limited overs cricket we went from an accomplished side, with a plan, strong batting, varied bowling, who seemed to be able to win in both formats, to completely clueless. We fell over the line (in terms of qualification) in both 20/20 and 40 over formats, based upon our early season results.

I found it depressing enough just looking at the 4 day results. :(

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
:lol:
What a waste of a Sunday. Embarrassing, so bad it was funny. Absolute LOLocaust

On the plus side, it was free to get in

how do you know? you walked out before the end!:D

Last edited:

Andrew

May 15, 2008
Sussex
Had a great day up at the Oval yesterday, we were singing and dancing right to the the end...

Shame about the result, something must be done or otherwise we may be entering a bad era for Sussex Cricket just like the 80s/90s

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Wayne Parnell is our overseas player. He is dreadful.

Profile Wayne Parnell is a naturally gifted allrounder who bats and bowls left-handed, and who seems to have been earmarked for success from a young age. Parnell began playing for Eastern Province's U-13 side when he was 12 and was captain the following year. He didn't make the U-15 side initially, but at the age of 15 began to play for Eastern Province and South Africa at the U-19 level. He made his first-class debut for Eastern Province in 2006-07 and was also part of South Africa's Under-19 squad for the 2006 World Cup in Sri Lanka. The experience he gained over the years brought him the captaincy for the Under-19 World Cup in Malaysia in 2008 and he led by example: taking 18 wickets, the most in the tournament, and scoring useful runs in the middle-order to steer South Africa into the final. His best performance came in the quarter-final against Bangladesh, when he took 6 for 8 after scoring 57. The South Africa selectors were already taking note and he went on the Emerging Players tour of Australia before a call-up to the senior one-day squad for the series in early 2009. After a modest debut against the Australians, he became the youngest player to be handed a national contract by Cricket South Africa (CSA). He soon repaid their faith in him with a terrifically impressive performance in just his second ODI in April 2009. Parnell demolished Australia in partnership with Dale Steyn, picking up 4 for 25 and a well-deserved Man-of-the-Match award. He put in a stand-out performance at the Twenty20 World Cup later that year, picking up 9 wickets at an economy rate of under 6 runs an over. After a successful stint with county Kent, Parnell's star continued to rise when he made his Test debut against England in the fourth Test at the Wanderers in January 2010. Later that month he also found himself with a new IPL contract, snapped up by Delhi Daredevils for $610,000 .

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Profile Wayne Parnell is a naturally gifted allrounder who bats and bowls left-handed, and who seems to have been earmarked for success from a young age. Parnell began playing for Eastern Province's U-13 side when he was 12 and was captain the following year. He didn't make the U-15 side initially, but at the age of 15 began to play for Eastern Province and South Africa at the U-19 level. He made his first-class debut for Eastern Province in 2006-07 and was also part of South Africa's Under-19 squad for the 2006 World Cup in Sri Lanka. The experience he gained over the years brought him the captaincy for the Under-19 World Cup in Malaysia in 2008 and he led by example: taking 18 wickets, the most in the tournament, and scoring useful runs in the middle-order to steer South Africa into the final. His best performance came in the quarter-final against Bangladesh, when he took 6 for 8 after scoring 57. The South Africa selectors were already taking note and he went on the Emerging Players tour of Australia before a call-up to the senior one-day squad for the series in early 2009. After a modest debut against the Australians, he became the youngest player to be handed a national contract by Cricket South Africa (CSA). He soon repaid their faith in him with a terrifically impressive performance in just his second ODI in April 2009. Parnell demolished Australia in partnership with Dale Steyn, picking up 4 for 25 and a well-deserved Man-of-the-Match award. He put in a stand-out performance at the Twenty20 World Cup later that year, picking up 9 wickets at an economy rate of under 6 runs an over. After a successful stint with county Kent, Parnell's star continued to rise when he made his Test debut against England in the fourth Test at the Wanderers in January 2010. Later that month he also found himself with a new IPL contract, snapped up by Delhi Daredevils for $610,000 .

Nice bit of copy and paste, Parnell is still crap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here