Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Casper...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Its down to the opposition to stop him doing it shirley? Carlisle restricted him to doing it once all game (and gave him a whack for his troubles). Hardly our fault if most teams are daft enough to let him dictate the play :shrug:

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
Its down to the opposition to stop him doing it shirley? Carlisle restricted him to doing it once all game (and gave him a whack for his troubles). Hardly our fault if most teams are daft enough to let him dictate the play :shrug:

Agreed, for example. Claude Makelele was often described as the best holding midfielder in the worl and he never passed the ball foward or hoofed it but knocked it to the right back, then get it back and move to the left back.

But if a keeper does it they are described as timewasting!!! makes no sense to me as if the ball was in play id rather us keep it 90% of the time than hit it long and win a smaller percentage of the ball.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
If its whats needed to get the results I am ALL for it.

It does worry me a little bit though when he dribbles across his six yard box.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Cant be bothered to read the whole thread But ffs let the bloke do his job

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
There are situations when it is useful, such as on Tuesday night when we were closing down the game vs. Brentford. I find it a real shame (and have said so on hereplenty of times) that we seem to feel the need to waste time in a game where we have a two goal cushion and appear to be cruising in against a side that were unlikely to come back.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't recall us spending much time in the corners. Typically when a team likes to run out the clock leading with a few minutes they take the ball in the corner and run time down that way. I don't really remember us doing that.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
we seem to feel the need to waste time in a game where we have a two goal cushion and appear to be cruising in against a side that were unlikely to come back.

How right you are

the difference between champions and also rans may well be the difference between allowing sides even the slightest possibility of coming back and allowing them none whatsoever

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I don't recall us spending much time in the corners. Typically when a team likes to run out the clock leading with a few minutes they take the ball in the corner and run time down that way. I don't really remember us doing that.

I was going to say virtually the same thing

The diffrence between the keeper delaying passing the ball up the field and an outplayer taking the ball into a corner is that the keeper option is far more effective at killing time in a game, especially as refs tend to award freekicks nowadays for obstruction when the ball is held up in the corner, however Casper isn't breaking any rules by doing what he does and as there are no opposition players close by, there is no chance of a free kick being awarded against us which could potentailly catch us out and let the opposition back into the game.

SEAGULLS TILL I DIE

Jan 6, 2008
It seemed like he was making space for the centre backs and at the same time having some banter with his ex team mate Enoch Showonmi who was the one always chasing him! Not worth commenting on really!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
stop pissing around wasting time with your stupid bloody antics...it's just getting embarrassing now! We were 2 nil up today at home!! FFS!

I think this is a question of which is better, entertaining football or efficent and affective football

The usual reason of why this style (as used by sucessful European teams with results to match) isn't used much in the English game is because fans won't necessarily accept it because they want to be entertained for the whole game, they want to see teams play at full throttle for 90 minutes even though it would mean players become more fatigued, injury prone more likely to be booked / suspended and results become more inconsistant as a result.

As the aim of a football club is to be as successful as it can be on the resources available to it, if this style has improved our chances of success on the pitch then it has to be worth continuing with. the counter argument is, if we were in mid table year in year out playing this style of football, would the crowds drop off, possibly reducing future income or would the fans accept this style given time and it becomes more widespread across the leagues as other clubs adopt this template for success? (and possibly benefitting England internationally as potential England players learn to play a style that is better suited to international tournaments like with Spain, Germany etc..)

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
stop pissing around wasting time with your stupid bloody antics...it's just getting embarrassing now! We were 2 nil up today at home!! FFS!

I think you have a point here, even if you are just yet another immature simpleton trying to????? wind people up...

When we had 40+ year old Dave beasant in goal the man was an artist in wasting time, always moving never doing anything. Casper is going to wind up a ref one day who may give a free kick against more favoured opponents, because hes broken 4 second rule because of his tactics and we have to defend a free kick in our box.

Also likes of Saints thought he wasted time just by passing ball to centre backs.....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's the 6 second rule not 4 seconds and it applies to the time a keeper has the ball in his hands. If that rule is infringed then it is an indirect free kick.

A goalkeeper is not permitted to keep control of the ball in his hands
for more than six seconds. A goalkeeper is considered to be in control
of the ball:
• while the ball is between his hands or between his hand and any
surface (e.g. ground, own body)
• while holding the ball in his outstretched open hand
• while in the act of bouncing it on the ground or tossing it into the air

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I like it as it means we are ahead and running down the clock - marvellous scenes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Refs have virtually outlawed this move and invariably give a free kick if a player takes the ball into the corner and stands with his back to the pitch.

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
This is gospel truth,in my younger/fitter days,i used to play amatuer football,in the West Susses/Worthing leagues, in 1 game,we were 2 nil up,in cup Q final,and my keeper.when he got the ball,walked around the box until a player came and closed him down,after the 4th,5th time, whilst walking the ball aound the box,the ref,booked him for un-gentlmanly conduct,the yellow card was made void after an appeal i should add.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I think you have a point here, even if you are just yet another immature simpleton trying to????? wind people up...

When we had 40+ year old Dave beasant in goal the man was an artist in wasting time, always moving never doing anything. Casper is going to wind up a ref one day who may give a free kick against more favoured opponents, because hes broken 4 second rule because of his tactics and we have to defend a free kick in our box.

Also likes of Saints thought he wasted time just by passing ball to centre backs.....

Casper could stand there for the whole game with the ball at his feet if he wished and was allowed to by the opposition players, the ref couldn't do anything about it. When at his feet, the ball is in play so all he is doing is running down the clock by keeping possession rather than delaying the restart of play which would be covered by the 6 second rule (although i think its no longer 6 seconds but been changed to allow the ref to decide when someone is taking too long)

We could have a defender standing in the position that Casper is and being a part of that triangle with 2 other defenders and they could just pass it between them all game, its just that we use Casper because it allows us to have an extra player up the pitch and by drawing the opposition forward, gives us extra space in which to attack (rather than them having everyone around their box as Tranmere had almost everytime they were defending)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Refs have virtually outlawed this move and invariably give a free kick if a player takes the ball into the corner and stands with his back to the pitch.

It still occurs in other games. Stoke were doing it today (which made me realise we don't) without the ref taking action against them.

thealbionfan

Oct 6, 2003

A bit harsh calling me an immature simpleton...but thank you for saying I may have a point.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It still occurs in other games. Stoke were doing it today (which made me realise we don't) without the ref taking action against them.

That is unusual as there is a trend that sees most refs immediately take action and give a free kick rightly or wrongly against the team who do it.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Would it be legal for Casper to chip the ball to Greer or El-Abd, them head it back to his feet and then run down the clock until a player closes him down then keep doing it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here