Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Casper...

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Yawn... People are entitled to their opinion. Personally, I see 2-0 against a tough team, extending our lead at the top and seeing one of the best Withdean goals is enough. As things stand, what little things that irritate me about the way we play will remain unvoiced. Why? Because they are irrelevant, pointless and detract from the fact that we are very, very top.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Thanks for the insult...we play fantastic football...we don't need to time waste.

We've played 4 games in 12 days, probably knackered and we were 2-0 up. What else do you want us to do? Some people amaze me with their stupidity...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If it is frustrating for supporters think how it is for the opponents strikers who have to continually chase after him knowing that he will pick the ball up when they get to him.

Telboy

Who Are You
Jul 6, 2003
WSU
Nothing wrong with Casper's antics he has had 16 clean sheets and only let in 26 in the league this season!! :clap2:

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Thanks for the insult...we play fantastic football...we don't need to time waste.

Where do you think each piece of fantastic football starts from? It's a lot easier to play a passing move against 9 outfield players, once the striker has been taken out of it by Casper. It's not time-wasting when the ball is in play.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Methinks Casper may have had some "falling over like I've been shot" lessons from Muzza, absolute top drawer comic quality :lolol:

As for the keep ball, it's how we have played for over a year now so if it is frustrating you either (1) don't get to many games or (2) can't see the benefit of us retaining the ball :shrug:

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
I agree with the majority here. Yes, it's not pretty to watch him sitting on the ball, but it does affect the game. It might not be the difference between winning and losing, but it's all a carefully crafted formula. It's about slowing down the pace of the game and frustrating the opposition attack as well as usually taking one striker out of the equation as they chase him down only to see him tap it away when they get within a couple of feet of the ball!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think there are two arguments going on with Casper and his 'timewasting'.

One, keeping the feet at his ball and drawing in the striker. Two, taking an age to retrieve the ball, banging his boots on the post and sometimes going around the net, only to switch sides again to take a goal kick. He even told a ball boy to slow down the retrieval after one of them recycled it too quickly.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
there is a vast (but to some indiscernable) difference between wasting time and delaying play to create space for your team.

Casper does both very well

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The way we play and especially use Casper shows how comfortable we are in holding on to the ball. Making the opposition keep coming to him pisses them off, takes them out of the game, fatigues them and that is why we generally finish the game the better side.

Yesterday Gus used Noone the same way as he used Lua Lua bring him on when the defenders are becoming tired and suddenly expand the game. This has worked wonderfully so often. As he has stated there's hardly any team in our league that can live with our style for the whole game.

There's a woman and a man that sit two rows behind me that constantly moan about Casper's antics and also keep shouting at any of the defenders/Casper to "Get rid" when they are in total control of the ball, and moan even more if we pass it backwards from the midfield. They completely and totally irritate me and yesterday I told them loudly to shut up and then proceeded to take the piss out of them. Unfortunately they are so thick they do not understand sarcasm or irony. Glad I will not be sitting near them next season when again we will be playing tippy tappy football.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Oh dear oh dear..

:)

Football entertains me, timewasting does not. However, as I said I understand the logic behind it and I realise it's beneficial to us. As a whole the games are massively entertaining to watch because of our style, but this particular part of our style is not. I'm not talking about the general building from the back, that's terrific to watch and opens the opposition up. I'm talking about Casper, as someone else put it, 'One, keeping the feet at his ball and drawing in the striker. Two, taking an age to retrieve the ball, banging his boots on the post and sometimes going around the net, only to switch sides again to take a goal kick. He even told a ball boy to slow down the retrieval after one of them recycled it too quickly.'

Let's make an anology with Stoke; they play shit football that's God-awful to watch (yes I know what I'm talking about is quite different). However, their style benefits them massively and they win far more games than they would otherwise. Yet many of their fans are incredibly pissed off that they play this way, and would much rather they played a bit of football from time to time. Are their fans justified in holding this view, even though they would win less games? I think so.

But let me make this clear; if what Casper is doing is the difference between us staying in League One or gaining promotion, then I'm all for it.

Oh I forgot, you're not allowed to have an opinion that goes agains the grain on NSC.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think there are two arguments going on with Casper and his 'timewasting'.

One, keeping the feet at his ball and drawing in the striker. Two, taking an age to retrieve the ball, banging his boots on the post and sometimes going around the net, only to switch sides again to take a goal kick. He even told a ball boy to slow down the retrieval after one of them recycled it too quickly.

This. I actually love when he dribbles right to the corner of his box and waits for an attacker to pressure him before picking it up and running back to the centre of the area. But I find his time wasting at goal kicks to be quite annoying, and usually pointless, as the ref just adds the time on at the end anyway. I'm also starting to get annoyed with the way he will needlessly fall to the ground after catching a cross with ease. Though, that does still amuse occasionally.

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
People are bloody idiots if they still moan about this supposed time wasting!!!!

For starters the ball is in play and its the opponents failure to chase the ball down that is more to blame.

Second of all, he does take alot of time over goal kicks etc, but people need to realise we play at a fairly high tempo in the attacking half so it benefits us to build a little slowly in order for them to have a breather, and we just played 4 games in less than 2 weeks, all of which were tough games that took a lot out of the team.

Oh yeah, and we are romping the league as we speak so im fairly sure as has been the case all season that the coaching staff know best, not a few knobheads on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here