Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cars for the snow. What's surprisingly good?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Citroen 2CV is perfect in this weather, skinny tyres cut through the ice. Sadly I no longer have one, the 235 wide tyres on my Audi are just about able to make it on the flat, but forget about going up hills.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Not sure it's down to the automatic gearbox or the reliability, as my Merc has both of those, but getting it moving from a standstill is a lottery .... oh, and turning corners, it won't do that in the snow either. That's proved to be a slight drawback.

As modern cars progress all they get is heavier, whereas your older second hand with its 'inferior' technology not only can stop more quickly but handles better in the snow. Plus I'm doing my bit to save the planet by keeping my old car going and not being fooled into buying a Prius, ABS my arse....!!!:wink:

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
BMW=Toilet
Renault Megane=Excellent.

I agree. I have a renualt megane and it is brill in the snow and ice. I was stuck behind some guy in a flash Bmw and he couldnt get up the hill at Rottingdean and i just sailed past him with my front wheel drive.

The look on his face was priceless

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Grand Vitara pisses on the snow. Slip it into 4 wheel drive for most of the snow covered roads but where it gets really nasty, you can't beat the low ratio 4 wheel drive option.

Only problem is that during the rest of the year it drinks fuel like theres no tomorrow.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
My MG ZR is immense in the snow wide wheel base and fat tyres. However i dont enjoy driving in these conditions because there are so many shit drivers on the road that one of them will probably crash into me so im walking as much as humanly possible.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
We only recently purchased our VW Tiguan (6 weeks ago) and it couldn't have been better timing for our first 4 wheel drive car!

The VW 4-motion system has worked brilliantly as where we live is up a hill and whereas other cars were sliding everywhere and giving up ours just ploughed through and up the hill.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Grand Vitara pisses on the snow. Slip it into 4 wheel drive for most of the snow covered roads but where it gets really nasty, you can't beat the low ratio 4 wheel drive option.

Only problem is that during the rest of the year it drinks fuel like theres no tomorrow.

I had a GV XL Seven about 8 years back - Lovely car but When I sold it a year later (forced too by my ex!)I lost about £6k on it but then petrol prices went through the roof and I now probably was lucky as I shudder to think how much it would cost to fill up now!

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Mazda 3 - poor Love the car but in snow its absolutely pants.
Honda CRV - excellent the 4wd kicks in automatcially whenever you hit anything 2wd cant handle.

Although I like BMWs and Mercedes in general I do have a laugh at the idiots spinning the wheels like a looney to move.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
subaru impreza wrx sti 03. very good . even better power slides!

Dad's Subaru Forester = the business. Got into East Grinstead twice no problem (I'm not working at the moment, so haven't had to go to the station). My Legacy would probably have been okay too, but I haven't tried it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Mazda 3 - poor Love the car but in snow its absolutely pants.

I had no problems in mine on Sat or Sun in the snow, struggled in the slush last night though, more to do with front tyres getting a bit low on thread.

In answer to the questions though, it doesn't matter what car it is it the driver who makes it drivable or not.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
North Lane in West Hoathly needs a 4x4. Neighbours gave me a lift to the station this morning. As we waited to pull out some poor car attempted to come up the small incline from the main road and got about 20 yards before wheelspinning to a stop! They were obviously used to it as hopped out with a spade, dug out a few chuncks of ice from the road and were soon on there way!

My fiesta is still parked in Hove at my Mums since Tuesday but going to get it tonight. I will however wait for the thaw before risking driving it home to West Hoathly! Metrobuses have not run through West Hoathly since last Tuesdays snow, no plans for it to run tomorrow either!

Hats off to our local postman, he managed to get his van into the village on Thursday last week, but not seen him since!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
My Rover does a job and to be honest it's so old I don't care too much if it gets hit anyway.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I know KNOB ALL about cars but I was confused by this t'other day. I was climbing a hill in my 207 no problems while the 2 cars in front were sliding about all over the show and couldn't get a grip. I assumed it was cause they were female drivers but maybe not then.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
My Fiat Punto's been sliding all over the place. Quite fun really.

Own up, who else has been doing handbrake turns in these conditions?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here