Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cars for the snow. What's surprisingly good?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Okay chaps, and chapesses, we've had a fair bit of time on the snowy roads this winter, what cars are working and what's not?

Personally, I've been slipping and sliding around in a Mercedes C-class, and if I come to a stop, it's serious heart in mouth about whether I will have the traction to move away again. This morning I finally listened to the wife and tried her car, and blimey, the little Rover 200 skipped through the snow like it was made for the job. I was like Richard Hammond skipping across the Makgadikgadi in his little Opal Kadet. The wife's car is now officially to be known as Oliver.

So it's a :

Merc C-class - :wrong:
Rover 200 - :thumbsup:

What say the rest of you?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A front wheel drive car is much much better in the snow than rear wheel drive, hence BMW's and Mercedes drivers look like the dicks, quite a few of them are, when trying to drive in the snow and ice :lolol:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
My Mum was moaning about her merc A-class sliding yesterday. I've had no problems with my 206 (except the doors freezing shut). My other half has been fine with her yaris too, which has been surprisingly good, but slightly sluggish on main (non-icy) roads.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
My Vauxhall Cavalier 1.8LS Automatic went like a dream, a combination of the automatic gearbox and proven reliability makes this car a winner in the snow:thumbsup:

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I saw a 20 year old Range Rover at the end of last week, with mahoosive chunky tyres on it.

As I thought to myself "THATS the car to have in this weather", it went round the bend, and one of the back doors flew open, and continued to bang as it drove down the road.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Okay chaps, and chapesses, we've had a fair bit of time on the snowy roads this winter, what cars are working and what's not?

Personally, I've been slipping and sliding around in a Mercedes C-class, and if I come to a stop, it's serious heart in mouth about whether I will have the traction to move away again. This morning I finally listened to the wife and tried her car, and blimey, the little Rover 200 skipped through the snow like it was made for the job. I was like Richard Hammond skipping across the Makgadikgadi in his little Opal Kadet. The wife's car is now officially to be known as Oliver.

So it's a :

Merc C-class - :wrong:
Rover 200 - :thumbsup:

What say the rest of you?

Funny you should say that but my brother had a similar experience. He couldn't even get his Vauxhall Zafira off the drive but his battered old Rover 200 (with a walnut dash for executive status) eats up icy roads for breakfast.

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
My Vauxhall Cavalier 1.8LS Automatic went like a dream, a combination of the automatic gearbox and proven reliability makes this car a winner in the snow:thumbsup:

Not sure it's down to the automatic gearbox or the reliability, as my Merc has both of those, but getting it moving from a standstill is a lottery .... oh, and turning corners, it won't do that in the snow either. That's proved to be a slight drawback.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
My Lexus GS300 great fun for power slides but useless if I have to stop and move off again on anything slighltly more than flat.

Wife's Toyota Auris no problems at all.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think this demostrates how front wheel drive cars flatter the drivers abilities.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
A front wheel drive car is much much better in the snow than rear wheel drive, hence BMW's and Mercedes drivers look like the dicks, quite a few of them are, when trying to drive in the snow and ice :lolol:

I haven't even been able to get my 3 series or my wife's mini off the drive, let alone on the road. Luckily we've got a spare freelander at work which is great in the snow & ice. Next car will be a 4x4.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Got a Mazda 6 estate, which is the rare(ish) sport4 and has permanent 4 wheel drive. So far it's been no issue as long as I don't get too carried away. I have to say, I did laugh whilst passing a C class Merc trying to get up snakey hill the other day. These rear wheel drivecars, eh?

What amazes me more than anything else is the dicks who still use their mobile phones whilst trying to navigate the snow drive around with no lights in the dark. Time for a rethink on the driving test renewal conversation!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Audi A4 Quattro Convertible - Excellent
Wife's VW Touran - shit. Got stuck and had to be pushed out with the latter. Bloody rear wheel drives, what's the point of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here