Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Carpenter

Perry Milkins said:
The Gerbil guy isn't around so its one against one.

:D Yes, and shock horror, a decent discussion, hope that is not too dull for everyone :)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
London Irish said:
We are celebrating our famous win over the Palace a year ago are we not? Wasn't a problem playing Butters, Chippy and Oatway together that day

Didnt Chippy go off injured and was replaced by Fruity?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
London Irish said:
:D Yes, and shock horror, a decent discussion, hope that is not too dull for everyone :)

Well I'm bored. Cant we go back to childish insults?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
So they didnt really play the whole game together then did they?

Must say tho that was by far and away one of Oatways best games in an Albion shirt. He was OUTSTANDING that day :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Uncle Buck said:
Yes he did, after about 10 minutes.

No, after 25 minutes and that early period was our best of the game, when we unsettled Palace and established the pattern of play that would eventualy give us the victory.

The entire problem for me last season was that Oatway and Carpenter barely played any games as a pairing, not that they played too many.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Uncle Buck said:
That just sets the tone.

Will's Spunk Sucker.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Uncle Buck said:
Which is what you will be purchasing in Donny....

Still recovering from the Will's spunk sucker insult. I cant think of anything more revolting.

And purchasing?...

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Sorry to interrupt the exemplary abuse that's being exchanged with a footy related point here, lads. I'd be interested to see how many times we've won so far this season with Chippy in the side, as against without, particularly in the light of our inconsistency.

I never slag off Brighton players during a game and I'm not going to start now - I'm reluctant even on this board to have a pop at a long standing servant, but it seems to me that this season when Chippy plays we lose, and when he doesn't, we win. Can anybody be arsed to look this up? This may be a product of my imagination, being biased as it is against his selection at the moment.

I'm not sure the problem is just down to him. With him and Hammond in the side, the midfield is about as mobile as Stonehenge. They can't both play together if we're to have an effective midfield, IMHO.

Last edited:

Herne Hill Seagull said:
Sorry to interrupt the exemplary abuse that's being exchanged with a footy related point here, lads. I'd be interested to see how many times we've won so far this season with Chippy in the side, as against without, particularly in the light of our inconsistency.

Yes, with him, 4 times (although make that 3 if you don't want to count Millwall, which I guess is fair).

Without him, twice (or 3 if you include Millwall).

For me, our two best performances of the season were both with him in the team, our 10-man win against a decent Rotherham team (20 pts now) and the best pure football we played, against Forest, he was among our best players.

Last edited:

LDH

Sep 22, 2004
He was one of my favorite players over the past few years but his performances last season and even more so this year are bordering on embarrasing.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The problem is we needed Chippy whether he was fit or not. From what I have seen and from what people have said he had been looking better this year than last year. We had no one emerging to enforce themselves in midfield. Hammond isn't that sort of player, Fraser had practically no first team experience and there was/is a question mark over Reid in that position. His experience is vital, although I don't think he is vocal in the way Oatway is. It all kind of depends how much he is on as to whether he is valuable to the team. On his day he is pretty much the complete midfielder at this level, but injuries and age meant it was debatable whether we wanted to offer him a contract or we had to.

If I was in the side I would be shite, but does that mean people shouldn't question it because I'm a fan who gives my all? Its kind of the same priniciples so I think that line of argument pulls away from the real issue of is Carpenter valuable enough to the squad.

Last edited:

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
London Irish said:
Yes, with him, 4 times (although make that 3 if you don't want to count Millwall, which I guess is fair).

Without him, twice (or 3 if you include Millwall).

For me, our two best performances of the season were both with him in the team, our 10-man win against a decent Rotherham team (20 pts now) and the best pure football we played, against Forest, he was among our best players.

Pretty even then. It's amazing how bias will cloud the facts. I stand by the point though, that with him and Hammond both in the team, the midfield is not mobile enough to support the front men and offer a bit of cover for a back four that's struggling for consistency of both selection and form.

The lack of serious alternatives is a geniune problem though. Lofts is game but limited, and Fraser's still way too inexperienced to be relied on for the sort of consistency and authority needed in that role.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The trouble is Carpenter is 34, his game is based on winning tackles, taking a touch and moving it on with a decent range of passing. But at that age the brain may still be there but the body isn't moving quick enough to make that interception or tackle and then take a touch and move it on, so therefore he is struggling to make that second touch, getting caught on the ball or not recovering from the tackle quick enough to even have that second touch. Someone like Oatway will probably findit easier at that age as his game is literally just to stick in front of the back 4, tackle and lay it off.

Carpenter would be better just settling into that role, he can't dictate play but he can get it started.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here