Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Carpenter

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
London Irish said:
Yawn, another thread putting the boot into a senior player, next week we'll be back to Mayo and Butters, shame they played well at the weekend, yeah?

The Millwall sending off has clearly disrupted Chippy's season badly, as he has come back a little rusty but before that he was playing very well, at Forest when he was directing our play excellently and it was the same story in our early wins against Rotherham and the Gills.

We will need him again as we will all our senior players, as the cult of youth on its own will not see us to safety in this division.

Yawn, another post by London Irish sticking up for a senior player...

Mayo and Butters did play well, and I don't think thats a shame at all. In fact if you read my post I mentioned we look better at the back now with the experience Butters, and obviously Mayo provides.

Of course we need experience along side our youth.. but not if they are simply not good enough.. then you're better of playing kids in the first place.

Last edited:

Dougal said:
respect London Irish but everytime I've seen Chippy this season he's been bad , against Blackpool was quite possibly as bad as a player can be

Yes, he played poorly against Blackpool, I agree with you there, but I don't think it's credible to say that he put in the same level of performances in the early games of this season. He will come good again for us this season, it's going to be a long one and he will get plenty of opportunities, that's the lesson of Butters and Mayo playing so well at the weekend.

Biscuit said:
another post by London Irish sticking up for a senior player...
And proud to do so - what you get out of sticking the boot unfairly into loyal servants of the club, I'll never know, but it seems a fad these days.

It's perfectly fair to say he is not on form at the moment following his enforced spell on the sidelines, but not fair to ignore some decent performances from him at the beginning of this season.

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
London Irish said:
And proud to do so - what you get out of sticking the boot unfairly into loyal servants of the club, I'll never know, but it seems a fad these days.

That is simply untrue.

I believe Mayo and Butters have a lot to offer. I believe Chippy has not.

I'd be very happy to see Chippy playing well again - I just don't think he will... and hasnt for 2 years.

Uncle Buck said:
Whilst they have been loyal players, people are allowed to question whether the club was overly loyal in rewarding some of them with new contracts.

Yes, in a case by case basis, certainly that's fair. But you also have to ask the awkward and demanding question, where would be now with such a callow squad of players if we had jettisoned all our experienced pros? There is simply no guarantee with our financial problems that we would have got better, experienced heads in.

I think Mayo was probably the most vulnerable and hence the luckiest of the seniors to get his contract renewed given his game-time last season, but I'm certainly glad now we did so.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Yes, in a case by case basis, certainly that's fair. But you also have to ask the awkward and demanding question, where would be now with such a callow squad of players if we had jettisoned all our experienced pros? There is simply no guarantee with our financial problems that we would have got better, experienced heads in.

I think Mayo was probably the most vulnerable and hence the luckiest of the seniors to get his contract renewed given his game time last season, but I'm certainly glad now we did so.

But then when it comes to Carpenter, last season he struggled and part of this can be put down to the fact he was rushed back in due to Oatway getting injured, but it does seem that the legs are not responding anymore, so we could end up with a situation where he is sitting in the reserves on a decent wage, especially if Oatway comes back.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
London Irish said:
Yes, in a case by case basis, certainly that's fair. But you also have to ask the awkward and demanding question, where would be now with such a callow squad of players if we had jettisoned all our experienced pros?

Oh FFS read the thread. We ARE talking about players on an individual basis.. no one has posted "GET RID OF ANYONE OVER 29 AND ONLY PLAY THE YOUTH TEAMERS" have they?

This is a thread about Carpenter.. not Mayo or Butters...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Carpenter has not been the same since he was rushed back from injury on boxing day against QPR.

I really think that this year he should be first reserve rather than a first name on the teamsheet.

It will also give him more time to collect his antique walking canes.

Last edited:

Biscuit said:
Oh FFS read the thread. We ARE talking about players on an individual basis.. no one has posted "GET RID OF ANYONE OVER 29 AND ONLY PLAY THE YOUTH TEAMERS" have they?

This is a thread about Carpenter.. not Mayo or Butters...

I'm afraid it is you Mr Excitable that really needs to read the thread properly, my point was in response the the general question of the senior players raised by UB, not in response to the specific one you were making.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
:thud:

still Mr Excitable... I like that.

UB: Whilst they have been loyal players, people are allowed to question whether the club was overly loyal in rewarding some of them with new contracts.

Where exactly does UB criticise experienced senior players?

Last edited:

Uncle Buck said:
But then when it comes to Carpenter, last season he struggled and part of this can be put down to the fact he was rushed back in due to Oatway getting injured, but it does seem that the legs are not responding anymore, so we could end up with a situation where he is sitting in the reserves on a decent wage, especially if Oatway comes back.

Possibly, but that hasn't happened yet, so let's worry about when we have the actual evidence. Carpenter did contribute well at the beginning of the season - through his own fault of indiscipline he lost his place and ony came back when the rest of the team was in a slump. He is now injured again and Hammond and Fraser have the chance to stake their claim. Whether they will for the entire season given the ups and downs we will surely face in the coming months, I'm not 100% sure. This will be a long season and I'm confident we will need Carpenter's experience again, as we will Oatway's after Christmas.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Possibly, but that hasn't happened yet, so let's worry about when we have the actual evidence. Carpenter did contribute well at the beginning of the season - through his own fault of indiscipline he lost his place and ony came back when the rest of the team was in a slump. He is now injured again and Hammond and Fraser have the chance to stake their claim. Whether they will for the entire season given the ups and downs we will surely face in the coming months, I'm not 100% sure. This will be a long season and I'm confident we will need Carpenter's experience again, as we will Oatway's after Christmas.

However if Oatway does come back from injury, I do not believe you can play the 2 of them together, especially if Mayo and Butters are in the defence as the lack of pace in the side could prove very problematic.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
At the moment I would take a fully fit oatway over a fully fit chippy.

Uncle Buck said:
However if Oatway does come back from injury, I do not believe you can play the 2 of them together, especially if Mayo and Butters are in the defence as the lack of pace in the side could prove very problematic.

We are celebrating our famous win over the Palace a year ago are we not? Wasn't a problem playing Butters, Chippy and Oatway together that day against a team chasing a Premiership promotion, so I think we should at least take a look at whether it will work against League 1 teams, it may do, it may not, but let's see.

It would be fair to say that most people worried at the weekend pairing Mayo and Butters on the left hand side of our defence against one of the quickest strikers in the league in Billy Sharp. But the old heads outwitted the young legs, which can happen a lot if your system is organised in the right way.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I was pleased he was offered a new contract and think he is an important player on his day, but I think Chippy will be a useful squad player more than anything else now. It is fairly clear that Chippy and Hammond can't play together and I would opt for Dean.

He can do a job when called upon, but I don't think he warrants a first team starting place. Although I would be pleased to be proven wrong.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here