Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Caroline Flack

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
When you have medical treatment, the staff are obliged to ask how you came by your injuries. He didn't want to press charges, but the police/CPS are ordered by the government to get as many domestic violence convictions as possible as it looks good on their figures, so will go ahead with cases with or without the victim's consent.

I didn't realise that was the case. I regret calling him a coward.

Anyone claiming domestic abuse is at play here needs to give their head a wobble. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but you can't treat law and order like a robot, just because she attacked him it doesn't automatically equate to someone who mentally and physically controls their partner.
She was obviously mentally ill/unstable and needed help not an assault charge.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
You may not know much about her but you have heard of her unless you do not read papers, internet, watch tv or read papers.
I just watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, and NowTV, with a very occasional bit of freeview ( eg Line of Duty ). I read papers, but not celebrity sections. NSC is the only reason I've heard of her.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I didn't realise that was the case. I regret calling him a coward.

Anyone claiming domestic abuse is at play here needs to give their head a wobble. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but you can't treat law and order like a robot, just because she attacked him it doesn't automatically equate to someone who mentally and physically controls their partner.

Not really sure you can any of that.

There’s far too much speculation and nothing was obvious.

One could say anyone involved in being the perpetrator in domestic abuse, is in need of help as they must be unstable mentally. That doesn’t mean they escape the law.

The social media and media are the ones that need to be held to account. The intensity that abuse and indeed praise is metered out is what skews many peoples views on others and society as a whole.

The media now openly quote the source for their articles as other media outlets thus removing themselves from any blame should it be factually ‘vague’. Say it often enough and it becomes fact.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
^

This guy right here. What a trashy, low class comment. Attempting to be funny I suppose but not really smart enough, and not much above 8yr old mentality. Not the first time either.

How is he not perm banned from NSC for this?

Swansman is banned for far far less.
Agreed, I've reported the post.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Complicated case for me - she didn’t seem fame through reality tv, she was an actress that became a tv presenter. I’m not sure how that makes it fair game to go after someone’s personal life at every opportunity, digging around for stories on her latest partner etc.

Years of this obviously effected her mental health and the incident with her boyfriend is no different to what has happened in many people’s relationships, but never does it make front page news. Being thrust in front of the courts with a full media gathering and being effectively suspended from your job for a period of time will be tough on anyone.

I actually don’t think social media or press is much to blame but sadly a bunch of events and her position in society meant she couldn’t cope and sadly this was her way of dealing with it.

FWIW, I didn’t think she had been in the news much since she was charged, and she was off all her social media was she not?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What sort of a man cant defend himself from a slightly built 40 year old woman, and humiliatingly needs to get the police involved?

Hard to defend yourself when someone tonks you with a lamp while you're asleep.

Asinine comment from someone who has clearly lead a very sheltered life. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Healthy and reassuring to see a thread with varied and sometimes contrasting opinions of a sad event.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Agreed, the bloke is just an attention seeking fool, thankfully back on Ignore.

He's been on my ignore for a long time, but I took a look at today's relevant post and have reported him.

Thick - tick
Smug - tick
Nasty - tick
Posts interesting Albion - rated comment, er....
Post Albion-unrelated interesting comments . . . .errrr.....

:tosser:

Actually, no longer even much of a gammon-magnet. :shrug:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
He's been on my ignore for a long time, but I took a look at today's relevant post and have reported him.

Thick - tick
Smug - tick
Nasty - tick
Posts interesting Albion - rated comment, er....
Post Albion-unrelated interesting comments . . . .errrr.....

:tosser:

Actually, no longer even much of a gammon-magnet. :shrug:
He's been banned for a month today.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun

Would you make the same comments if it had been the other way round, and the boyfriend had attacked Miss Flack?

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester
It is truly alarming that suicide seems to have become an increasingly go-to option, especially for young people.
The pain for those left behind is a life sentence.
Dark clouds do pass, even if it doesn’t feel like it at the time.
RIP Caroline Flack.
To all those feeling very low, please seek support

First NSC post to bring me to tears!

#SeekSupport

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Maybe a misunderstanding.......I’d taken and agreed with [MENTION=14168]Durlston[/MENTION]’s post to be re social media in general, not specific to NSC.....

To clear things up, I was having a go at social media rather than anyone on NSC. I didn't see any really bad comments on here last night but I don't understand why people have to say "never heard of her". What is the point in posting that? I don't see that it adds anything to the thread. Dazzer's one of the good guys on here so I wanted to clarify things. :thumbsup:

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
It's interesting that people seem to be laying the blame firmly at the door of social media and the media in general; could it not be more simple than that? She stood to lose everything had she been convicted at her trial; her career, and with it her fame, her money, her lifestyle. I note that her home was up for sale at the time of her death. That's a pretty difficult prospect to wrap your head around for anyone.

I'm going to share something that I haven't shared with another soul before, and even then something that I'm only comfortable in sharing behind the anonymity of a internet pseudonym, because I'm so ashamed of it. Ashamed because of what it would have done to my beautiful children who I love to bits, had I gone through with my darkest of thoughts and done what Caroline Flack did yesterday.

How close did I come? I'm not sure I even know the answer, but close enough to have begun sourcing the things I would need in order to meet my maker. As it happens, it was the thought, this vivid image in my mind, of my kids gleefully handing me a parcel (as they often would whenever I'd ordered something as innocent as a book) and becoming unknowingly complicit in their own father's death, that snapped me out of the place I was in.

I'd describe the experience as being like continually running from a problem and then reaching a cliff edge. There's nowhere else to run - you either stop where you are, accept the reality of your problem, and all of the pain which comes with it, or you put an end to the problem, the pain and everything else and take the cliff edge. I think people who've never been in that state of mind will find it hard to comprehend how anyone could ever take that 'option', but the reality is if you believe that you cannot withstand the pain, you don't have any options - there is only one thing you can do.

I never set an expiry date as such, but I just wanted to make sure that if things ever got too much, that I had everything ready to go. It felt, at the time, like that day was on the horizon, like the walls were closing in. It's an all consuming, suffocating experience.

The sick mind plays horrible tricks, too. It makes you feel as though not only will you be putting an end to your own pain, but also making everyone elses life better in the process. You become deaf to the nice things people say and do to you, whilst all of the hurtful things become amplified or misconstrued. I often see people refer to suicide as a selfish act, and I understand that, but having been at that cliff edge myself and managed to just about drag myself away I disagree. You see it as doing a positive thing for your family, your loved ones, even though from the vantage point of a better place that is so obviously and stunningly untrue.

The sad thing is this. Whenever someone dies by suicide, there is invariably a public outpouring of grief - touching tributes to the beautiful, wonderful person that they were. But those tributes are too late, if all those people had been open about saying those things whilst the person were living, it may have given them a reason to choose life. As a society, and I include myself in this, we're so bad at this. It's somehow slightly weird to say nice things to people, to compliment your mates or your colleagues, but so normal to criticise.

Like many on here, I didn't know much about Caroline Flack the person, other than through my wife's obsession with Love Island. I'm going to work on the assumption that she probably was a generally good person, perhaps a troubled one, who made a mistake. She probably didn't deserve to lose everything, and ultimately her life, over a moment's error, albeit a serious one. But life can be a brutal, unforgiving place and sometimes that can be too much for some.

RIP.

Last edited:

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
It's interesting that people seem to be laying the blame firmly at the door of social media and the media in general; could it not be more simple than that? She stood to lose everything had she been convicted at her trial; her career, and with it her fame, her money, her lifestyle. I note that her home was up for sale at the time of her death. That's a pretty difficult prospect to wrap your head around for anyone.

I'm going to share something that I haven't shared with another soul before, and even then something that I'm only comfortable in sharing behind the anonymity of a internet pseudonym, because I'm so ashamed of it. Ashamed because of what it would have done to my beautiful children who I love to bits, had I gone through with my darkest of thoughts and done what Caroline Flack did yesterday.

How close did I come? I'm not sure I even know the answer, but close enough to have begun sourcing the things I would need in order to meet my maker. As it happens, it was the thought, this vivid image in my mind, of my kids gleefully handing me a parcel (as they often would whenever I'd ordered something as innocent as a book) and becoming unknowingly complicit in their own father's death, that snapped me out of the place I was in.

I'd describe the experience as being like continually running from a problem and then reaching a cliff edge. There's nowhere else to run - you either stop where you are, accept the reality of your problem, and all of the pain which comes with it, or you put an end to the problem, the pain and everything else and take the cliff edge. I think people who've never been in that state of mind will find it hard to comprehend how anyone could ever take that 'option', but the reality is if you believe that you cannot withstand the pain, you don't have any options - there is only one thing you can do.

I never set an expiry date as such, but I just wanted to make sure that if things ever got too much, that I had everything ready to go. It felt, at the time, like that day was on the horizon, like the walls were closing in. It's an all consuming, suffocating experience.

The sick mind plays horrible tricks, too. It makes you feel as though not only will you be putting an end to your own pain, but also making everyone elses life better in the process. You become deaf to the nice things people say and do to you, whilst all of the hurtful things become amplified or misconstrued. I often see people refer to suicide as a selfish act, and I understand that, but having been at that cliff edge myself and managed to just about drag myself away I disagree. You see it as doing a positive thing for your family, your loved ones, even though from the vantage point of a better place that is so obviously and stunningly untrue.

The sad thing is this. Whenever someone dies by suicide, there is invariably a public outpouring of grief - touching tributes to the beautiful, wonderful person that they were. But those tributes are too late, if all those people had been open about saying those things whilst the person were living, it may have given them a reason to choose life. As a society, and I include myself in this, we're so bad at this. It's somehow slightly weird to say nice things to people, to compliment your mates or your colleagues, but so normal to criticise.

Like many on here, I didn't know much about Caroline Flack the person, other than through my wife's obsession with Love Island. I'm going to work on the assumption that she probably was a generally good person, perhaps a troubled one, who made a mistake. She probably didn't deserve to lose everything, and ultimately her life, over a moment's error, albeit a serious one. But life can be a brutal, unforgiving place and sometimes that can be too much for some.

RIP.

Wow, just wow. I don't even know what to say. This is one of the best explanations I have ever read about what makes someone take the ultimate step.

Poojah I hope u r in a better place now and wish u all the best in your life. I was surprised when for the second week the fa did metal health but I am now thinking maybe it should be every week with the stresses and strains of modern life.

love to all xx

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have had periods of thinking not worth carrying on. It is a desperate pit to be in. I just try and live a week at a time now. Baby steps. Just try and live, improve and hope it gets better.That reallly is all you can do

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have had periods of thinking not worth carrying on. It is a desperate pit to be in. I just try and live a week at a time now. Baby steps. Just try and live, improve and hope it gets better.That reallly is all you can do

I’ve helped family in that state. Giving someone a daily happy distraction, something to look forward to after school or work, can be part of the solution.

Funnily enough, with you posting, watching a good movie can be amazing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here