Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

carol thatcher calls a tennis player a golliwog

Nationalities don't have physical traits, if something is prevalent within a nationality it's because they have a higher % of people from certain racial background within their populus.

And someones ethnicity relates to their race...

With free online dictionaries so easy to access, I would have thought you would have looked the words up before declaring your ignorance.

From thefreedictionary.com:

Trait:
1. A distinguishing feature, as of a person's character.
2. A genetically determined characteristic or condition.

NB distinguishing and characteristic.

Ethnic:
1.a. Of or relating to a sizable group of people sharing a common and distinctive racial, national, religious, linguistic, or cultural heritage.

NB or.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
With free online dictionaries so easy to access, I would have thought you would have looked the words up before declaring your ignorance.

From thefreedictionary.com:

Trait:
1. A distinguishing feature, as of a person's character.
2. A genetically determined characteristic or condition.

NB distinguishing and characteristic.

Ethnic:
1.a. Of or relating to a sizable group of people sharing a common and distinctive racial, national, religious, linguistic, or cultural heritage.

NB or.

You must the ignorant one because everything I said was backed up by those definitions.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Problem with this thread is that it has confused the question whether a golliwog is intrinsically offensive or referring to a black person as one in 2009 is.

The latter obviously - because the last three letters of the word are 100% a term of racial abuse.

Then I must be a racist because for 6 years as a scout I was proud to wear my scarf, beret and WOGgle.

The Concise Oxford Dictionary definition of the word 'golliwog' is:

"black-faced, brightly-dressed soft doll with fuzzy hair".

Nothing about 'derogatory' or 'slang'.

She said someone looked a bit like a black doll and got the sack for it. From whatever angle you look at it that's an overreaction.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Massive lack of common sense and proper management here. The woman isn't racist, just a bit silly, 55 and brought up in an era of golliwog dolls.

That said, when she was Queen Of The Jungle there weren't any black contestants, the nearest was David Dickinson.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Massive lack of common sense and proper management here. The woman isn't racist, just a bit silly, 55 and brought up in an era of golliwog dolls.

That said, when she was Queen Of The Jungle there weren't any black contestants, the nearest was David Dickinson.

I don't think there's an equivalent orange doll, is there?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think Carol Thatcher looks like a Cabbage Patch Doll.........

Oh my god what have I said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here