Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

carol thatcher calls a tennis player a golliwog

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I get called a cockney c"%t. A Brighton rent boy. in my workplace. So should I get the lot sacked

Don't know Cov - I was just noting that because the comment was made in the workplace it was not technically a private conversation since it was held in the presence of others.

I don't know what my views on this are yet but I was interested to hear that Enid B called her three characters Golly, Woggy and ****** (or was it NigNog?). It shows how much the use of the words have changed.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I love these kind of debates.

They are so lop sided.

How many of the bleeding heart brigade get this offended when someone is vilified for having red/ginger hair?

Sweet FA i'd guess.

And yet red hair is a racial trait of some peoples.

What's good for one isn't always good for another.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

They are so lop sided.

How many of the bleeding heart brigade get this offended when someone is vilified for having red/ginger hair?

Sweet FA i'd guess.

Yeah but bedwetters are proper mingin

The Cardinal

Bishop of Withdean
Sep 2, 2008
St Peters

They are so lop sided.

Sweet FA i'd guess.

I don't mind ginges. F*cking hate Aussies, mind you.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So she apparently made these terrible remarks to a group of people including Adrian Chiles, a bloke accused in the NOTW on Sunday of being the third person in a relationship and the reason Christine Bleakley dumped her ex.

Ironic that in today's society she's the one getting the criticism.

My view is that whilst it's not PC to mention the word 'golliwog' you have to cut those people over 50 a bit of slack. Many people, muy mum included, had golliwog dolls that were loved and cherished, and the Robertson's jam character was massive.

I don't think Thtacher should have lost her job over this, just been given a serious bollocking by her boss.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There was big old kerfuffle on Talksport about this today. It seems that the comment was made during conversation with the Cokehead, Chiles and Jo Sargeant or John Brand overheard the comment and said nothing at the time but later went running to Aunties Thought Police after the show. so, she's a snitch !

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
We can tell it's been on Talksport because their favourite phrase "bleeding heart brigade" has already crept into the debate here!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Agree with you on the term coloured, we are all coloured if you think about it...the worst one was a term I remember from when I was at school to describe someone who was mixed race...that was half-caste...what the hell does that mean?

when I lived in South Africa, coloured people were mixed race ( also funnily enough Asians), inigenous black people were kaffirs or blacks.

I just think it must be very difficult these days if you are a pensioner or of teh "older generation" as terms used then were the norm ( that didn't make it right using todays parlance). My nan was forever calling black people "darkies" and when my gran was having real trouble with local asians who wanted her out of her flat and made it very difficult for her in her later years( in dewsbury) she would refer to them as "them bloody pakis".

the Golliwog thing is very strange as I remember having the whole series of Gollywog badges( the band) from Robertson's Jam. I didnt give it a second thought that it was demeaning to Black people.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I dont know if its been mentioned before but all the reports I have heard on the BBC today have said that the comment was aimed at Andy Murray and his frizzy hair do. Might have been a better debate if that had been confirmed.

Have just read the BBC account from information given by the snitches and it was definetly a black tennis player and not Andy Murray.

Last edited:

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
How is the term golliwog a racist remark,it refers to a black doll which was often a loved possesion of both black and white children, in fact I remember that way back there was critism that all dolls were white, thats probably where the Golli came in.
It has been stated that it could not be a private conversation as it was held in the presence of others, is`nt it a fact that all conversations take place in company?

How is the term golliwog a racist remark,it refers to a black doll which was often a loved possesion of both black and white children,

er, because the dolls were/are racist, perhaps?

in fact I remember that way back there was critism that all dolls were white, thats probably where the Golli came in.

How old are you?! Black dolls known as golliwogs were first made in 1905. Black dolls known as minstrel dolls are at least 30 years older than that.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Attachments

• cgon111l.jpg
    cgon111l.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 86

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
when I lived in South Africa, coloured people were mixed race ( also funnily enough Asians), inigenous black people were kaffirs or blacks.

I just think it must be very difficult these days if you are a pensioner or of teh "older generation" as terms used then were the norm ( that didn't make it right using todays parlance). My nan was forever calling black people "darkies" and when my gran was having real trouble with local asians who wanted her out of her flat and made it very difficult for her in her later years( in dewsbury) she would refer to them as "them bloody pakis".

the Golliwog thing is very strange as I remember having the whole series of Gollywog badges( the band) from Robertson's Jam. I didnt give it a second thought that it was demeaning to Black people.

Same with me Granny...I collected the badges and my sister had a Golliwog. We went to school and read about Ba-Ba Black Sheep ( banned now, I understand ) The teacher wrote with chalk on a Blackboard ( banned now, I understand ) and my father used a colour called ****** Brown. We watched ' The Dambusters ' film where Guy Gibson's dog was called ******. We watched film from the USA and South Africa where black people were called ' coloreds '
This was the norm at the time and we never questioned it and it was never knowingly offensive.
Political Correctness is an industry and permeates our society to all levels. There are those who are ready to pounce on the slightest mishap,create huge publicity and demand that heads should roll.
As Ron Atkinson, Jon Gaunt and Carol Thatcher have discovered ( to their cost ) there is now a line you cannot cross.
As said before, it is a generation thing and whilst I would not use any of these terms I am not going to compromise my memories for the sake of being PC.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
How is the term golliwog a racist remark,it refers to a black doll which was often a loved possesion of both black and white children, in fact I remember that way back there was critism that all dolls were white, thats probably where the Golli came in.
It has been stated that it could not be a private conversation as it was held in the presence of others, is`nt it a fact that all conversations take place in company?

The word 'golliwog' in itself is not racist. You are right that for some children it has been a loved possession.

It's how you use the word that counts.

Just like the word 'black' is not racist, but if I called someone 'black' in way that suggested that people of a race that had that skin colour were somehow inferior or demeaning, then it would be.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
There is a shop in Old Leigh which still sells Golliwogs..got one as an ironic present for my neo nazi dad last week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here