Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Carlisle away train tickets

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Yes, I know this isn't the appropiate section of the board but no-one ever replies in the other section.

Right, Carlisle away is on Saturday the 18th of September - this is over 2 months away. Normally around this sort of time you would be able to buy advance train fares and travel on specific trains for a cheaper price. However, for some reason there appears to be no advance fares available on this date, and there hasn't been for over a week now. This isn't just specific for trains to Carlisle; I've checked a few other train journeys on the same date and there are no advance fares available for them either. It is also just specific for this date, because if you do the exact same train times a week earlier (the 11th) advance fares are still available

Does anybody know why this is? Surely there is something going wrong? I know there are a few people on here who are experts with train bookings so if they could shed some light on this it'd be much appreciated as this is rather frustrating...

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
It's because Carlisle is so far away you have to get the sleeper from Euston leaving on Thursday 16th.

wizo7

Man Met Massive
Dec 17, 2008
Bolney
Don't have a clue! but i've managed to book advanced fares from manchester for a £12.50 return. I realise this is no help for you what-so-ever!

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Keep an eye on it - the return fare's probably haven't been uploaded yet

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Tried to book a return from Bristol - you can get there OK - but impossible to get back - unless I am prepared to wait on Newport station for 8 hours. Would guess they are starting some sort of engineering work late on Saturday. Not had a problem in previous seasons.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If there are engineering works and a replacement bus service is in operation that could explain why there are no advance fares available. A replacement bus service means that some journeys will be impossible to do unless sleeping overnight at one of the stations.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Just checked and I can't get an advanced price either for the whole journey but last year I broke up the journey with single advance tickets only to come unstuck when the train from Kings Cross was 20 minutes late at Donny and we missed the connection at Leeds and had to go via Preston instead of Appleby which cost £20 extra than if I had paid for a return ticket on the day.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Don't think there are engineering works as it gives direct trains to and from London.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I dont have a Phd in operational research so I am unable to find the cheapest rail tickets. Sorry I cannot be of help.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Can get 1 aduly + 1 child on Family Railcard for £30 ish return. Problem is that the return train is at 5.09, and any train after that is £30 more.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Managed to find a train from Bristol to Carlisle and back being diverted and adding 25 minutes to get to Birmingham - and one back at six o'clock to Bristol at 2310. Only £43 return as opposed to Sheffield for £48! - does not make sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here