Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff WILL NOT go into Europe if they win the FA Cup

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The teams have to be nominated by the English FA to participate in the EUFA Cup so the answer is simple the FA make a rule even anow it can be done,that the teams nominated must be in the Premier Leaguie for the season of their involvement so if like when we got to the Cup Final had we won we would have been excluded from Europe because we got relegated. Harsh but fair as everynody then know the rules.

Pompey would be allowed as would West Brom if they got promoted. In all honesty who wants Barnsley or Cardiff put up as the model of and representing England in Europe, I certainly dont and I dont think that many do other than their own fans.

Peter Ridsdale says in todays papers if Cardiff win the cup and are refused entry he will take the matter to court.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The teams have to be nominated by the English FA to participate in the EUFA Cup so the answer is simple the FA make a rule even anow it can be done,that the teams nominated must be in the Premier Leaguie for the season of their involvement so if like when we got to the Cup Final had we won we would have been excluded from Europe because we got relegated. Harsh but fair as everynody then know the rules.

Pompey would be allowed as would West Brom if they got promoted. In all honesty who wants Barnsley or Cardiff put up as the model of and representing England in Europe, I certainly dont and I dont think that many do other than their own fans.

Peter Ridsdale says in todays papers if Cardiff win the cup and are refused entry he will take the matter to court.

I saw that, the only reason Risdale wants them in Europe is because they are so far in debt they need the cash.

I agree on the first bit.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Would the same happen for berwick then? English team in the jock league.....
Berwick upon Tweed might end up a Scottish town if the council hold a referendum on whether they come under Scottish rule and enjoy all the benefits that are currently available north of the border.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Although AS Monaco still qualify for Europe playing in the French League, despite the fact Monaco is still an independant country. Guess it is a different case for them.

The actual rule has nothing to do with what country you actually play in and everything to do with which FA you play under. AS Monaco are ruled by the French FA so are allowed to compete as a representative of them in UEFA club competitons. Cardiff are governed by the Welsh FA but would be representing the English FA if they were in the UEFA Cup as a result of winning the FA Cup. This is against the rules.

Seagull Stew

when we got to the Cup Final had we won we would have been excluded from Europe because we got relegated.QUOTE]

Not true. I remember very clearly, Aston Villa wanting Manchester United to beat us because they finished just outside the UEFA cup position. As Manchester United had already qualified for a UEFA cup place by their league position, and the Cup Winners Cup taking priority over the UEFA cup, by them beating us meant that Aston Villa could take the final place in the UEFA cup.

Had we won, we would have qualified for the Cup Winners Cup and Aston Villa would have missed out of a UEFA cup place.

Obviously things are alot different now with the Cup Winers Cup abolished.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
From the Beeb;

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Cardiff City | Platini makes Cardiff FA Cup vow

Platini makes Cardiff FA Cup vow

Uefa boss Michel Platini has pledged to help Cardiff if they win the FA Cup, but are refused entry to the Uefa Cup.
The Football Association says Cardiff will not be one of England's Uefa Cup representatives as the club comes under the jurisdiction of the FA of Wales.

"If England don't do anything we will," Uefa president Platini told BBC Sport.

In the most open FA Cup for years, Cardiff play Barnsley in the semis, with the winners due to meet either Portsmouth or West Brom in the final.

"We have to respect the result on the field," added Platini.

Under current FA rules, Cardiff is considererd a Welsh club with full membership of the Football Association of Wales (FAW), but only associate membership of the FA.

"We spoke with the FAW," added Platini.

"I think it is not normal that if they win then they're out. That's not natural and not so good."

Winners of the FA Cup are currently handed a Uefa Cup spot by the FA, who run the competition as a reward for winning it.

Cardiff chairman Peter Ridsdale has hinted the club would challenge the English FA's current rules and regulations.

Cardiff could cite several examples to support their case including:

Derry City - Based in Northern Ireland but since 1985 have been playing in the Republic of Ireland's competitions and are regarded as a Republic of Ireland club. When they qualify for Europe, they play as a Republic of Ireland team.

AS Monaco - Based in Monaco, where they are the only side, but play in the French League.

Berwick Rangers - Based in England but play in the Scottish League and would be accepted as a Scottish club if they qualified for Europe.

When the FAW formed the League of Wales in 1992, Cardiff, Swansea City and Wrexham all decided not to join it choosing to remain playing in the English Football League.

As a result, Uefa decided the clubs would no longer be allowed to compete in the Welsh FA Cup and therefore would not be allowed to qualify for Europe that way.

The FAW agreed with that decision and Uefa take the view that because they play in English competitions, they are English clubs.

Seagull Stew

From the Beeb;

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Cardiff City | Platini makes Cardiff FA Cup vow

Platini makes Cardiff FA Cup vow

Uefa boss Michel Platini has pledged to help Cardiff if they win the FA Cup, but are refused entry to the Uefa Cup.
The Football Association says Cardiff will not be one of England's Uefa Cup representatives as the club comes under the jurisdiction of the FA of Wales.

"If England don't do anything we will," Uefa president Platini told BBC Sport.

In the most open FA Cup for years, Cardiff play Barnsley in the semis, with the winners due to meet either Portsmouth or West Brom in the final.

"We have to respect the result on the field," added Platini.

Under current FA rules, Cardiff is considererd a Welsh club with full membership of the Football Association of Wales (FAW), but only associate membership of the FA.

"We spoke with the FAW," added Platini.

"I think it is not normal that if they win then they're out. That's not natural and not so good."

Winners of the FA Cup are currently handed a Uefa Cup spot by the FA, who run the competition as a reward for winning it.

Cardiff chairman Peter Ridsdale has hinted the club would challenge the English FA's current rules and regulations.

Cardiff could cite several examples to support their case including:

Derry City - Based in Northern Ireland but since 1985 have been playing in the Republic of Ireland's competitions and are regarded as a Republic of Ireland club. When they qualify for Europe, they play as a Republic of Ireland team.

AS Monaco - Based in Monaco, where they are the only side, but play in the French League.

Berwick Rangers - Based in England but play in the Scottish League and would be accepted as a Scottish club if they qualified for Europe.

When the FAW formed the League of Wales in 1992, Cardiff, Swansea City and Wrexham all decided not to join it choosing to remain playing in the English Football League.

As a result, Uefa decided the clubs would no longer be allowed to compete in the Welsh FA Cup and therefore would not be allowed to qualify for Europe that way.

The FAW agreed with that decision and Uefa take the view that because they play in English competitions, they are English clubs.

There we have it. The problem would not be a UEFA rule, just the FA trying to ensure only premiership clubs are entered into Europe. If that is the case, then the FA should only have allowed qualification through league position in the first place, not bend the rules because they happen not to like the side who have won the competition.

Much as I'm not the biggest fan of Cardiff, in my opinion, any team that wins the FA cup have done so because they are the best team in the competition. Any top half premiership side that would argue against that, I'd say they should have just played better and beaten the lower teams, end of!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
The actual rule has nothing to do with what country you actually play in and everything to do with which FA you play under. AS Monaco are ruled by the French FA so are allowed to compete as a representative of them in UEFA club competitons. Cardiff are governed by the Welsh FA but would be representing the English FA if they were in the UEFA Cup as a result of winning the FA Cup. This is against the rules.

Correct. Platini and the FAW were going on a couple of weeks ago about having a meeting to look at changing this or getting the big welsh 3 back in the Welsh Cup, but it all suddenly seems a lot more relevant now.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Very simple the FA make a rule, which they can easily do tomorrow providing they get sufficient votes for it to be carried, that only teams in the Premier League during the forthcoming season will be invited to play in the European competitions.

There we have it. The problem would not be a UEFA rule, just the FA trying to ensure only premiership clubs are entered into Europe. If that is the case, then the FA should only have allowed qualification through league position in the first place, not bend the rules because they happen not to like the side who have won the competition.

Much as I'm not the biggest fan of Cardiff, in my opinion, any team that wins the FA cup have done so because they are the best team in the competition. Any top half premiership side that would argue against that, I'd say they should have just played better and beaten the lower teams, end of!

How can you say that it's to do with wanting Premiership clubs only in Europe? It's a decision that was taken when the Welsh clubs were officially admitted to the Football League, and as I understand it would similarly apply should Cardiff finish in 5th in the Premiership; it's got sod all to do with the fact that they are from outside the Premiership.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If a club chooses to enter the competitions of a "foreign" FA and the foreign FA accepts them, then they should reap the reward of winning it, IMO. If however, a club enters competitions governed by multiple associations, all promising European entry with success, then I think they should waive their rights from all but one of the FAs before they enter *any* competition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here