Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff WILL NOT go into Europe if they win the FA Cup

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
so the place would go to the runners up ?

Dont think so it would go to the next team in the Premiership. Only the winners of the Cuop can enter EUFA. At least I hope so as it is all shit teams that are left in it, in terms of possibly playing in Europe.

I know Millwall entered but I am fairly sure that the rules were changed after that.

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
TNS qualified through the League of Wales. Although, curiously, their ground is in England......

???

Isn't Chester's ground partially in Wales too? Gosh it gets complicated!!!

Anyway, have fun at Wembley LC, it's awesome!

:thumbsup:

zego

Jul 10, 2003
If Swansea Wrexham Cardiff sometime Newport are good enough to play in the 'English' Leagues then it seems strange that the possibility of one of them one glorious day winning the FA Cup has not occurred to the FA ... fick ot wot?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not a question of being good enouigh it is to do with which association they affiliate but in most cases they dual affiliate i.e to Welsh FA and English FA so their reserve teams etc can play matches in Wales.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Dont think so it would go to the next team in the Premiership. Only the winners of the Cuop can enter EUFA. At least I hope so as it is all shit teams that are left in it, in terms of possibly playing in Europe.

I know Millwall entered but I am fairly sure that the rules were changed after that.

West Ham were in the UEFA Cup after losing in the 05/06 FA Cup final to Liverpool. They finished 9th that season so certainly didn't qualify through the Prem. I don't recall any changes to the rules since then for UEFA cup qualification.

Last edited:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

didnt west ham qualify through finishing runners up?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
West Ham were in the UEFA Cup after losing in the 05/06 FA Cup final to Liverpool. They finished 9th that season so certainly didn't qualify through the Prem. I don't recall any changes to the rules since then for UEFA cup qualification.

I think the Scots were the ones who tried to get it changed, in light of Gretna being awful in the qualifying road of the UEFA Cup, dropping their coefficent.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
A Cardiff v Pompey final... that's hell on earth in my mind. Though I would support Cardiff.

It's going to be a football violence showpiece!

at least it will put the corporate types off, and be a fans final!

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Millwall and West Ham qualified for the UEFA cup due to the winners qualifying for the bigger ranking tournament in the Champions League, so there was still an UEFA cup slot reserved for the FA cup and thus, West Ham and Millwall (and Southampton for that matter) got in through the back door.

I think that as Portsmouth could only qualify for the UEFA cup in terms of league placing, and therefore being in the same European competion if they win the FA cup, Pompey would take the FA cup slot .The then remaining UEFA cup slot goes to the highest placed Premiership team.

It was explained on Sky Sports news last week, but as I didn't think for one moment that there wouldn't be a 'big 4' representative in the final, I wasn't paying much attention!! :lolol:

Alby

Jan 4, 2005
West Sussex
If Swansea Wrexham Cardiff sometime Newport are good enough to play in the 'English' Leagues then it seems strange that the possibility of one of them one glorious day winning the FA Cup has not occurred to the FA ... fick ot wot?

Think you will find it was UEFA that decided this some years ago when the League of Wales was pushing for a Champions League place . Also seem to remember many years ago when English sides close to the Welsh border entered the Welsh Cup when they won it they were not allowed to enter the old Cup Winners Cup.

When the Welsh League was set up in its present day format the Welsh sides playing in England including those outside the Football League ,such as Newport County were told they could stay where they were but if they did they couldnt qualify for Europe through the Welsh set up . So it appears they lose out in both directions.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I think the Scots were the ones who tried to get it changed, in light of Gretna being awful in the qualifying road of the UEFA Cup, dropping their coefficent.

Gretna's "being awful" was mostly down to people underestimating the strength of the eircom League - as has happened to IK Gothenburg, Djugardens, etc, etc over the years. It hit their coefficient so badly because the eircom League has an atrociously low coefficient for whatever reason.

Gretna's manager made an "in all fairness, we should be beating teams like..." style statement except it was ridiculously over the top - he expected to be thrashing Derry, not being thrashed by them.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Correct.

you only have to get to the final of the FA cup to get into Europe.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Millwall and West Ham qualified for the UEFA cup due to the winners qualifying for the bigger ranking tournament in the Champions League, so there was still an UEFA cup slot reserved for the FA cup and thus, West Ham and Millwall (and Southampton for that matter) got in through the back door.

I think that as Portsmouth could only qualify for the UEFA cup in terms of league placing, and therefore being in the same European competion if they win the FA cup, Pompey would take the FA cup slot .The then remaining UEFA cup slot goes to the highest placed Premiership team.

It was explained on Sky Sports news last week, but as I didn't think for one moment that there wouldn't be a 'big 4' representative in the final, I wasn't paying much attention!! :lolol:

Only 5th in the league will get into Uefa cup now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here