Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff crowds "lower than Swansea's"

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Where's the Cardiff voice of reason that is the Laughing Bluebird? This must be a cause for concern for City....I suggested Cardiff might get lower crowds than Swansea earlier in the season as well and he said no chance.

Not that we should be taking the piss out of other clubs' crowds, given our position, but it is interesting what can be achieved with the right facilities. Swansea have a lovely new stadium, a promotion winning side, and the momentum to carry that on, judging by their current form. Their gates can only increase. Cardiff, on the other hand...

Cardiff City owner Sam Hammam says the club will face disastrous consequences unless home attendances rise by 20%.
The club sent text messages to 5,000 fans urging them to turn up for Saturday's game with Crystal Palace after a sharp dip in gate receipts.

The average crowd is just over 11,000 this season, but Hammam told BBC Sport: "We have budgeted for 13,000 and we thought that is conservative.

"If out average continues to be low it's a bit of a disaster."

Tuesday's crowd of 9,196 against Leicester was the second lowest of the eleven Championship matches played that night.

The total attendance for the four home games of this season are over 5,000 below last season's total - a frightening statistic for a club £30m in debt.

The more the gates are up the more aggressive we can be in the market and the better we can perform for our fans

Cardiff owner Sam Hammam

Consequently, Hammam has launched a campaign entitled Each One Reach One which is urging Cardiff fans to bring a friend along with them for future home games.

"Every 1,000 (on the gate) is worth £350,000 to the club," added Hammam. "I hope now that the fans will stand up to be counted and really show us they are as ambitious as we are."

Swansea City are averaging nearly 14,000 for their home games in their new 20,000-seater home this season.

Cardiff have been trying to build a new 30,000-seater stadium for years, but the project has been plagued by delays and financial problems.

Cardiff stadium work put on hold

Hammam said construction work on the new stadium could start "in the next few weeks", but conceded that more delays are also likely.

"We've had so many near misses where things were going to start that I don't even dare talk about it anymore," he said.

"But anybody who cares about Wales and Cardiff City Football Club please help us increase the gate.

"The more the gates are up the more aggressive we can be in the market and the better we can perform for our fans."

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
I hope they do screw up

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can't say I'm really bothered either way about Cardiff, there are worse clubs, there are better ones.

I just thought it was interesting the position they find themselves in, as Swansea seem to be doing a bit of a Hull, in that they are on an upward curve and full of confidence.

I thought Cardiff had resolved some of their player problems in the summer, but obviously their fans don't think so.

Hope Falmer has that effect on us as Swansea's new ground has on them.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hey, I wasn't taking the piss at all, I just thought it was worthy of note.

And I'm interested to hear how LB thinks their season is going. They don't look to be pulling up any trees, but maybe that's about what they expected. Or maybe they're getting restless with Dave Jones already.

Just wanted to know that's all, you can never get the true story of a season from match reports in national papers.

If you could, people would have thought we were murdered by Sheffield United, when actually we weren't, save for a 15 minute period in teh first half.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I chat about footy with a Cardiff fan every few days, he was a bit worried before the season started because of the number of players they had sold over the past few months, he is now really starting to sweat as they can't even find a box of matches, let alone set the division alight.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Lower than Swansea? thats quite incredible.

Word is the football boom years are over, my only worry is DK will charge too much to pay for F*lmer.Attendance figures are everything

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
pevenseagull said:
[Blong live cricket

(even Kent) [/B]

Well your on your own there then.May they rot in hell.Idiots.

Mark Ealham was the heartbeat,born and bred, his father played for us throughout the 60's.He left because of 'disagreements' along with everybody else,now he's going to win the Championship with Notts at Canterbury.I'm too angry to write any more.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Gully said:
I chat about footy with a Cardiff fan every few days, he was a bit worried before the season started because of the number of players they had sold over the past few months, he is now really starting to sweat as they can't even find a box of matches, let alone set the division alight.

He obviously wasn't bothering to watch the team last season then. We're in a better position now than we were this time last year. While we have lost a number of talented individuals, we actually seem to be working better as a team and are managing to grind out a few results.

We had five points at the same stage last season, and we'd scraped through the first round of the Carling Cup after beating Kidderminster on penalties. Now we have eight points, and we comfortably beat Colchester 2-0 in the Carling Cup.

The team isn't brilliant by any means, although we have a few gems such as Jerome, Ledley, Barker and Koumas. It'll be another tough season, no doubt about that, but your mate should consider that we've played Leeds, Leicester and Wolves at home this season and we haven't lost to any of them (2-1 win, 1-0 win, 2-2 draw). Those three clubs were in the Premiership sixteen months ago, so it's not all bad!

We're sixteenth at the moment. This time last year we were second from bottom. If he's sweating now he must have been shitting himself then.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
edna krabappel said:
And I'm interested to hear how LB thinks their season is going. They don't look to be pulling up any trees, but maybe that's about what they expected. Or maybe they're getting restless with Dave Jones already.

The season is going pretty much as most fans expected I reckon. The team is far from great, but it's doing OK. The encouraging thing is that we've scored a few goals recently. The failure to sign a new striker looked like it might cost us, but thankfully Cameron Jerome has come on in leaps and bounds this year. He was an exciting prospect last season but he's doing some real damage to opposition defences already this season.

The signing of Michael Ricketts was hardly inspiring, but he had a good debut up at Burnley and scored the winner on Tuesday against Leicester with a great header. Maybe he'll turn out be a unlikely hero. The early signs are that he's working well with Jerome.

Jason Koumas has really hit form now he's fit. He did well when he came on for Wales against England, and looked the best player on the pitch out in Poland. He's been very good in his last few matches for us too. He has the ability to make a real difference to the side. Leicester's defence looked petrified whenever he had the ball in midweek.

The defence is the biggest worry. It's been shipping stupid goals. Darren Purse's form has been disappointing. But they did OK on Tuesday and kept a clean sheat at last, which was encouraging.

The poor crowds are a major concern. The fickle nature of our support means people in this area will find any excuse not to attend. It's always been the same unfortunately, but the crowds this season have surprised everybody by how low they've been.

A few of the lads from our website will be meeting with Sam Hammam again on Monday to discuss the situation, and we'll be talking about ways in which we can drum up support. The ticket prices aren't too bad, but the ticketing policies here make it very difficult for people to pay on the day, which is a major problem.

Between us we've come up with a number of initiatives which should help a little, but I'm afraid the time-honoured South Wales apathy has returned again because, shock horror, we SOLD A FEW PLAYERS! Many of our fickle fans will use that as an excuse not to attend for some time to come, even though the team is actually getting better results than it was this time last year.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Hooray for us. Another three points. And hooray for big Michael Ricketts too.

And bollocks to Palace, while I'm at it.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Great post on the "Dowie Out" thread about how if they lose against 'Brightscum' Dowie must go. Funny how at the start of the season they were predicting themselves to walk this division and now they're entertaining the possibility of losing to us.
:clap2:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Lots and wailing a gnashing of teeth there! Very funny. They really should be beating teams like Cardiff.

Some of their match reports are amusing. According to the Palace fans we only had one chance and scored from it. They obviously didn't spot the excellent effort from Ricketts that went inches over the bar, or the sitter that Jerome missed, or the Whitley shot which hit the post.

Palace were rubbish in the first half and we could've gone in three up if we'd taken our chances. They only really came into the game in the last 20 minutes when our lot got nervous and started defending too deep.

Some of their fans described us a very ordinary side. If that's the case, then Palace are less than ordinary.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Laughing Bluebird said:

Some of their fans described us a very ordinary side. If that's the case, then Palace are less than ordinary.

:thumbsup:

We've known that for years :lolol: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here