Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff City FC

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If they got to the cup final and won it or played either Man Utd or Chelsea would they be allowed to be entered into the UEFA cup?

The FA has the right to not enter a team dont they?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yes I think they would be entered but why would the FA not enter them (pardon my ignorance)? Millwall was in the UEFA cup when they came runners up to Utd a few seasons ago.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Because they're Welsh, and would be representing England?

Hmm but they play in the English league...Remember the league of Wales has its own representatives I believe and Cardiff (along with Swansea and Wrexham) decided not to join this league when it started, preferring to play in the English league.

But I do take the point! Tho maybe they should stop Arsenal playing in the Champs League as after all while they play in England its basically an advert for Africa, France & Spain...

I'm pretty sure that Cardiff would not be able to play in Europe. Can't remember where, but I read it somewhere. It is, as Trufflehound said, due to the fact that they are a Welsh club playing in the English league. When they signed up to play in this country they had to relinquish their rights to play in Europe, should the situation ever arise whereby they qualified.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Hmm but they play in the English league...Remember the league of Wales has its own representatives I believe and Cardiff (along with Swansea and Wrexham) decided not to join this league when it started, preferring to play in the English league.

That's not for want of trying though. They'd love to take the money from playing in England and the European places from Wales if they could. Personally I don't think they should be allowed, but the precedent is there that teams playing from outside the country can, so I expect they will be allowed to.

Yoda

English & European
Did they not used to have to compete in the Welsh Cup in order to qualify for Europe before the Cup Winners Cup was scrapped?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I'm pretty sure that Cardiff would not be able to play in Europe. Can't remember where, but I read it somewhere. It is, as Trufflehound said, due to the fact that they are a Welsh club playing in the English league. When they signed up to play in this country they had to relinquish their rights to play in Europe, should the situation ever arise whereby they qualified.

They were are also in the Welsh Cup, so I am guessing if they won that they would get into Europe that way ?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Did they not used to have to compete in the Welsh Cup in order to qualify for Europe before the Cup Winners Cup was scrapped?

They didn't HAVE to, they saw it as an easy back door to European places.

Edit - the CWC being scrapped isn't really relevent cos like the English cup, it just holds a UEFA place now instead.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I think that Shrewsbury and Chester have also played in the Welsh Cup, did either of them qualify for the Cup Winners Cup when they won it?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Thats what I was thinking

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i swear i read it somewhere that welsh teams cant enter as english representatives

No, the exiles (Wrexham, Cardiff, Swansea, Merthyr, Newport and Colwyn Bay) that play in the English system wouldn't be nominated by the FA if one of 'us' won the Premiership or FA Cup.

So those mentioned above are the only ones in the whole of Europe that have NO POSSIBLE WAY of qualifying for Europe.

Harsh eh?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
No, the exiles (Wrexham, Cardiff, Swansea, Merthyr, Newport and Colwyn Bay) that play in the English system wouldn't be nominated by the FA if one of 'us' won the Premiership or FA Cup.

So those mentioned above are the only ones in the whole of Europe that have NO POSSIBLE WAY of qualifying for Europe.

Harsh eh?

Good work, cheers.

It would be if Cardiff were not utter cnuts

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Harsh eh?
I'm sure I read somewhere this week that discussions are underway between FAW and UEFA to change this somehow.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

Harsh eh?

Do you actually think that would be the case though if one of those clubs qualified through the English system? I think the FA would nominate them.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Derry City are Northern Irish playing the League of Ireland and have been allowed enter the UEFA cup for Ireland using an FAI place - precedent exists.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here