Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff City FC

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I'm sure I read somewhere this week that discussions are underway between FAW and UEFA to change this somehow.

As far as I see it, there isn't an issue between the two. UEFA would accept Cardiff etc in Europe as the FAW's representatives, but the decision by the FAW is not to award these places to sides that contribute to the English pyramid system and not the Welsh.

Jan 30, 2008
If they got to the cup final and won it or played either Man Utd or Chelsea would they be allowed to be entered into the UEFA cup?

The FA has the right to not enter a team dont they?
pure speculation ime afraid i cant see the sheepshaggers winning anything. i cant understand some of the welsh mentality when it come to football, hate the english but would love to play at wembley

As far as I see it, there isn't an issue between the two. UEFA would accept Cardiff etc in Europe as the FAW's representatives, but the decision by the FAW is not to award these places to sides that contribute to the English pyramid system and not the Welsh.

There have been discussions though about allowing the Welsh teams currently plying their trade in the FL to enter '2nd teams' into the Welsh Premier League, with the result that these teams would then be able to take the Welsh Champions League/UEFA cup places.

The idea is that this would stimulate a wider interest in club football throughout Wales, and be good for the Welsh Premier League.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
pure speculation ime afraid i cant see the sheepshaggers winning anything. i cant understand some of the welsh mentality when it come to football, hate the english but would love to play at wembley

However the chances are if Cardiff got to the cup final, they would in theory qualify for Europe as more than likely they would be playing either Man U or Chelsea. Except that the rules do not allow them...

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
There have been discussions though about allowing the Welsh teams currently plying their trade in the FL to enter '2nd teams' into the Welsh Premier League, with the result that these teams would then be able to take the Welsh Champions League/UEFA cup places.

The idea is that this would stimulate a wider interest in club football throughout Wales, and be good for the Welsh Premier League.

I disagree.

It might pull in an extra 50-100 fans for the home games against the "big 3", but it would completely kill off the rest of the league. Few fans of those clubs would realistically go and watch their reserves against smaller Welsh sides (i.e. Brighton in the senior cup), so they wouldn't be massive events.

The interest gained in the odd semi-big match (which friendlies + the premier cup cater for anyway) would be lost because

a) One of those 3 reserve teams would win it every year
b) The race for Europe is a significant part of the season, which would be dead cos again those 3 would take the 3 league places
c) The investment in WPL clubs would disappear with the lack of European incentive, taking it backwards.

It would just mean that Welsh football would become Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham's little backyard, plaything and source of lucrative European football, whilst they concentrate on what really matters to them - English football.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
However the chances are if Cardiff got to the cup final, they would in theory qualify for Europe as more than likely they would be playing either Man U or Chelsea. Except that the rules do not allow them...

Which is a shame.

It would open the door to Portsmouth to get into Europe - Lets hope its a non perm or a Chelsea Man Utd final.
O the race for Europe, Im gutted about not caring.

I disagree.

It might pull in an extra 50-100 fans for the home games against the "big 3", but it would completely kill off the rest of the league. Few fans of those clubs would realistically go and watch their reserves against smaller Welsh sides (i.e. Brighton in the senior cup), so they wouldn't be massive events.

The interest gained in the odd semi-big match (which friendlies + the premier cup cater for anyway) would be lost because

a) One of those 3 reserve teams would win it every year
b) The race for Europe is a significant part of the season, which would be dead cos again those 3 would take the 3 league places
c) The investment in WPL clubs would disappear with the lack of European incentive, taking it backwards.

It would just mean that Welsh football would become Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham's little backyard, plaything and source of lucrative European football, whilst they concentrate on what really matters to them - English football.

I agree with you... wasn't saying that I thought the ideas were good, just that that was what they were!

What are the average attendances in the league in the moment? Apparently this report basically says that the league is 'dying on its feet' or words to that effect. Is that true?

Derry City are Northern Irish playing the League of Ireland and have been allowed enter the UEFA cup for Ireland using an FAI place - precedent exists.

I'm sure I read somewhere this week that discussions are underway between FAW and UEFA to change this somehow.

Yep, the FAW are meeting Monsiour Platini next week - using Derry and Vaduz (from Liechtenstein - qualifying via Swiss Leagues) as precedents.
I'm not hopeful - too many vested interests in the Welsh FA, and the Welsh League clubs would have to vote us lot back into the Welsh Cup, meaning they would effectively lose a European place cos at the moment Cardiff or Swansea would blow them away.
We lost to Llanelli in this years FAW Premier Cup :angry:- so I'm not looking forward to many trips abroad in the near future.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I agree with you... wasn't saying that I thought the ideas were good, just that that was what they were!

What are the average attendances in the league in the moment? Apparently this report basically says that the league is 'dying on its feet' or words to that effect. Is that true?

I think the main problem the league has is that there is a massive difference between clubs at different ends. Bangor and Rhyl, for example, can easily pull in 1000+, whereas places like Caersws, Welshpool & Porthmadog (who between them have had some pretty decent sides) play at places which border on being parks in front of sometimes not more than 50 odd.

In between you've got teams like Aberystwyth, Newtown, Havefordwest who can get a good 500 and have space to grow, but like everywhere they need good results and the prospect of trophies/Europe to get people in. The football has got better in recent years with the investment in clubs like Llanelli & TNS, even if its a bit unnatural, and that has trickled down.

I'd definitely not say its dying on its feet, but then its never going to grow bigger than the Conference at very best. I'd look at things like making ALL games Friday nights instead of Saturdays, trying to forge better links with English clubs, i.e. loan players etc and ideally more financial investment. English-based players can be tempted to come accross if the money is right, as TNS have shown.

I realise thats a very long answer to a short question!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here