Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff change to red

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What's interesting is to see what the fans of the other Welsh clubs think. Cardiff have basically hijacked the national identity as their own club identity.

Swansea would be rather hypocritical, if they suggested that, given that this is their new away kit:

212.jpg

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I'd be in favour of every club in the land changing their home shirt to this little red number, even down to the badge. Individual clubs would retain their own shorts and socks so as to distinguish themselves from other teams on the pitch. By this one act plastic supporters up and down the country would be denied the opportunity of walking round Asda (that's Asda, not 'Asdas') on a saturday proudly wearing their shirt with pride, unless they were willing to go for the full monty and wear United socks and shorts as well.

mufc-86170.jpg

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Just seen this on footballforums.net made me chuckle.

Blue was the colour,
Cardiff was the name,
Owned by the Asians,
Our history’s down the drain,
We sold our soul, We should feel ashamed,
Malaysia, Malaysia is our name!

1899 we first had our Blue,
Now it’s Red, a” Dragon” too,
All of the fans think the deal is “Poo”
Malaysia, Malaysia is our name!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
while its a gross abuse of the power of the new owners, to cast away the clubs heritage, it could be worse. I mean, being a welsh club and forced to use a dragon and red is hardly devestating. if we were asked to change to red/gold and a Martlet, would we mind too much?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
TBH Red Dragons does sound better than Bluebirds

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Playing in red and having a dragon on their badge doesn't appear to have done an awful lot for Wrexham's global brand awareness thus far.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
I'm done with the club following this fiasco. CCFC has been a circus for longer than I can remember, but this is the last straw as far as I'm concerned. I've been a season ticket holder since 1975 but yesterday put in a request for a refund on next season's ticket. They can stuff their red shirts and their poxy dragon badge.

Here are two pieces I've written on the re-branding farce during the last couple of days for anyone who is interested:

The Lone Gunman - Shooting From The Lip: A Big Red Cloud

The Lone Gunman - Shooting From The Lip: The Malaysian Overlord Strikes on D-Day for the Bluebirds

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'm done with the club following this fiasco. CCFC has been a circus for longer than I can remember, but this is the last straw as far as I'm concerned. I've been a season ticket holder since 1975 but yesterday put in a request for a refund on next season's ticket. They can stuff their red shirts and their poxy dragon badge.

Here are two pieces I've written on the re-branding farce during the last couple of days for anyone who is interested:

The Lone Gunman - Shooting From The Lip: The Malaysian Overlord Strikes on D-Day for the Bluebirds

Thank you. Two very fine, well-written articles. By the way, is it true that Cardiff briefly had a purple home shirt in the 1970s?

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
On a purely selfish note, I'm so glad we have a Chairman who would never contemplate such a thing.

From a wider football fan perspective, I think its sad that the owners/board of Cardiff have been so quick to sell the traditions of the club down the river at the first sign of some cash.

D

Deleted member 22389

All clubs need to modernise and move forward, but at what expense? Changing kit colours to suit the Malaysian owners and supporters who live thousands of miles away, just because that colour is lucky is an absolute joke in my opinion.

Let's hope you don't turn in to the next Venkys. That was a disaster from day one.

Are these Malaysian supporters and owner there for the long run? or will they start supporting Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal just because they play in red and win most of the time. These are the type of supporters you are dealing with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
An excellent article on the BBC website unpicks the 'strategy':

"Seeking to replace fans at the Cardiff City Stadium who feel alienated by the rebrand with Asian fans on the basis of a shirt change is not a strategy I would recommend and seems rather whimsical.

"The last thing you want to do is alienate your current funders for some hypothetical fanbase which is not there yet."

BBC Sport - Cardiff City rebrand gamble on red

Full article well worth reading.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Thank you. Two very fine, well-written articles. By the way, is it true that Cardiff briefly had a purple home shirt in the 1970s?

No, that monstrosity was an away kit. Our home kit has been blue ever since the club was renamed Cardiff City in 1908 (it was chocolate and orange when we were called Riverside prior to that).

D

Deleted member 22389

No, that monstrosity was an away kit. Our home kit has been blue ever since the club was renamed Cardiff City in 1908 (it was chocolate and orange when we were called Riverside prior to that).

Cardiff City The Redbirds, it's not working is it.

Cardiff lose £1 million a month, if they want to stay in business they had to please the sugar daddy. If its a choice between having a club with different colour or no club I know which one I'd chose.

Grow some balls, you could apply this principle to anything, "If its a choice between having a brown kit with a dog turd emblem or no club at all I know which one I'd chose [sic]" This fuckin stinks and it's the tip of the iceberg, owners that don't give a shit about clubs purchase them for their own ego's who then do one when the shit hits the fan (no pun intended) without giving two knobs of goat shit about those that have supported the club all their lives. Good for you for staying put, but if we were to change from red to blue and didn't fight it to the finish this would be the end (after 35 years) for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here