Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Carabao Cup Fourth Round: Charlton - 3rd allocation of tickets

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Yes I saw that one but also saw us lose 4-3 there in a thriller , with the lead changing hands several times, and Hales and Flanagan causing us all sorts of problems.
Yes, I was there for both of those games. 2-0 down to come back to 2-3 up and then lose 4-3. My mum came to that one for her first ever game and said that if games were that exciting she'd come every week. They weren't and she didn't.
Think the Poskett hatrick game was the week before Christmas.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Yes, I was there for both of those games. 2-0 down to come back to 2-3 up and then lose 4-3. My mum came to that one for her first ever game and said that if games were that exciting she'd come every week. They weren't and she didn't.
Think the Poskett hatrick game was the week before Christmas.
I seem to remember Nobby Horton missing a penalty in the 4-3 defeat . :facepalm:

Uboat

Nov 11, 2022
Duchatelet does own the Valley and training ground, so only an idiot would buy us now and sure enough one did. Thomas Sandgaard didn’t buy us from Duchatelet though. We had two other groups of all out crooks and conmen in between. So we have a complicated situation where Sandgaard basically saved us from total disaster, but is also a terrible owner. I don’t think there is the energy for more protests and the fear now is that he just sells to someone worse. It’s really a bleak situation.
I’d love to answer your questions about ticket allocations, but decision making at the club is now so eccentric and unpredictable that anything could happen. Extending the away allocation into the East or West Stands is possible, but tricky and would require a lot of extra stewarding. It would only make sense if ticket prices were quite high, which they might well be. Sandgaard probably thinks 27000 are willing to pay £50 to watch a premier league team.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Duchatelet does own the Valley and training ground, so only an idiot would buy us now and sure enough one did. Thomas Sandgaard didn’t buy us from Duchatelet though. We had two other groups of all out crooks and conmen in between. So we have a complicated situation where Sandgaard basically saved us from total disaster, but is also a terrible owner. I don’t think there is the energy for more protests and the fear now is that he just sells to someone worse. It’s really a bleak situation.
I’d love to answer your questions about ticket allocations, but decision making at the club is now so eccentric and unpredictable that anything could happen. Extending the away allocation into the East or West Stands is possible, but tricky and would require a lot of extra stewarding. It would only make sense if ticket prices were quite high, which they might well be. Sandgaard probably thinks 27000 are willing to pay £50 to watch a premier league team.
I sent a message (it was a very... stoned day) to Sandgaard on Linkedin when he bought the club:

Hej Thomas!

Svenska eller engelska?

Lets do it in English in case your Swedish is as poor as my Danish...

You need to hire me to your football club. My merits are: none. But I am sensible. Analytical.

People often look at a club and think about the managers and players in a simplistic sense: "this guy scored a lot of goals for this club, this guy once took a team to the Premier League". You can do that but then you are doing the same thing that 80 or so other EFL clubs are doing. Its not the right way, it results in very little these days.

Instead, successful less rich clubs are doing things in unique manners. Clubs such as Brighton and Brentford are built on philosophy and personality rather than vain, desperate attempts to sign anything tempting out on the market. It does not matter if a player scored a bunch of goals somewhere unless he got the right personality. It does not matter if a defender was part of a watertight defense unless his style fits into the club philosophy.

You said you want a team playing the high pressure kind of football. What do you need? You need a manager working according to Raymond Verheijens training principles. Someone who understands that in order to play that type of football, you need to condition players to play in that manner: long distance running is out, intensity and explosivity is in. Brendan Rogers and Graham Potter are great examples of managers who every summer goes to Spain to study these things. This is what the coaching staff needs to be built around.
Obviously, player recruitment needs to follow this philosophy.

The club also needs to find ways to increase revenue. One way of doing it is to increase reach: currently the club has a little over 173k Twitter followers. Decent number, but should be at least 200k if you look at comparable clubs. It also isnt monetized properly - look at most tweets from most clubs and on pretty much any graphic, you will see a sponsor name. There is money to be made - no way there isnt any company willing to be seen by 170k people. No link to the club shop in the profile text. Things like these are small but added up they mean money.

What is the PR strategy like? Identical to most, it appears. That means no additional value. When I go to the worlds biggest football forum - r/soccer - and search for Charlton and look at the top posts over the last year: "a steward scores a goal with a dildo in the Lincon vs Charlton match" and then there's a lot of shit about Bobby Charlton until you get to some interview with Lee Bowyer. How can such a classic club not be more visible?

I could go on.

So this is my official application for the role as Mad Creative Swede at Charlton FC. Book me a flight to London, pay me £5 per hour and install a bed under The Valley and I'll dedicate 187% of my time (that is 200% minus sleeping and eating) to improving things at your club. I could begin with marketing and within a year when you see my success you'll hire me as Director of Football and I'll take your boys to the Premier League.

Kind regards

Simon

The bloke did not reply.

A shite owner indeed.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Thanks How unsatisfactory to have a dodgy owner selling to another one. Even more a problem to having Duchatelet still owning The Valley and training ground. Have such good memories of going to the Valley

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
Great away game for us. A bit of refreshment at LB and a trip to a proper old ground in the middle of its community. I have a lot of time for Charlton fans supporting their team through thick and (rather a lot of recent) thin when they could opt for more glamorous clubs over the river. Plus they gave us Steve Gritt, without whom who knows what might have been...

Uboat

Nov 11, 2022
I sent a message (it was a very... stoned day) to Sandgaard on Linkedin when he bought the club:

Hej Thomas!

Svenska eller engelska?

Lets do it in English in case your Swedish is as poor as my Danish...

You need to hire me to your football club. My merits are: none. But I am sensible. Analytical.

People often look at a club and think about the managers and players in a simplistic sense: "this guy scored a lot of goals for this club, this guy once took a team to the Premier League". You can do that but then you are doing the same thing that 80 or so other EFL clubs are doing. Its not the right way, it results in very little these days.

Instead, successful less rich clubs are doing things in unique manners. Clubs such as Brighton and Brentford are built on philosophy and personality rather than vain, desperate attempts to sign anything tempting out on the market. It does not matter if a player scored a bunch of goals somewhere unless he got the right personality. It does not matter if a defender was part of a watertight defense unless his style fits into the club philosophy.

You said you want a team playing the high pressure kind of football. What do you need? You need a manager working according to Raymond Verheijens training principles. Someone who understands that in order to play that type of football, you need to condition players to play in that manner: long distance running is out, intensity and explosivity is in. Brendan Rogers and Graham Potter are great examples of managers who every summer goes to Spain to study these things. This is what the coaching staff needs to be built around.
Obviously, player recruitment needs to follow this philosophy.

The club also needs to find ways to increase revenue. One way of doing it is to increase reach: currently the club has a little over 173k Twitter followers. Decent number, but should be at least 200k if you look at comparable clubs. It also isnt monetized properly - look at most tweets from most clubs and on pretty much any graphic, you will see a sponsor name. There is money to be made - no way there isnt any company willing to be seen by 170k people. No link to the club shop in the profile text. Things like these are small but added up they mean money.

What is the PR strategy like? Identical to most, it appears. That means no additional value. When I go to the worlds biggest football forum - r/soccer - and search for Charlton and look at the top posts over the last year: "a steward scores a goal with a dildo in the Lincon vs Charlton match" and then there's a lot of shit about Bobby Charlton until you get to some interview with Lee Bowyer. How can such a classic club not be more visible?

I could go on.

So this is my official application for the role as Mad Creative Swede at Charlton FC. Book me a flight to London, pay me £5 per hour and install a bed under The Valley and I'll dedicate 187% of my time (that is 200% minus sleeping and eating) to improving things at your club. I could begin with marketing and within a year when you see my success you'll hire me as Director of Football and I'll take your boys to the Premier League.

Kind regards

Simon

The bloke did not reply.

A shite owner indeed.
Having read that I’m honestly surprised you didn’t get the job. He might actually have taken some of that on board. He even sacked the much loved comms bloke, so maybe that’s on you. I think the main thing that counted against you is that you’re not related to him as that’s his main criterion for giving people jobs at the club.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Last time I was there I got involved in a rather long discussion with increasing numbers of young security guys over a large artisanal loaf and some Comté cheese I was carrying. Head guy was eventually called who said “it’s just a loaf of bread” and let me in. One guy actually asked what I was planning to do with it. :shrug:
Well? Don't leave us in suspense.... what DID you do with it?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Having read that I’m honestly surprised you didn’t get the job. He might actually have taken some of that on board. He even sacked the much loved comms bloke, so maybe that’s on you. I think the main thing that counted against you is that you’re not related to him as that’s his main criterion for giving people jobs at the club.
Could be... honestly I realised the bloke was batshit crazy in the not too positive sort of way, hence taking the (very) long shot...

Bloke is with all certainty a better one than Roland Duchatelet, but that says very little obviously. VERY little.

Uboat

Nov 11, 2022
Could be... honestly I realised the bloke was batshit crazy in the not too positive sort of way, hence taking the (very) long shot...

Bloke is with all certainty a better one than Roland Duchatelet, but that says very little obviously. VERY little.
If you can imagine getting saved from a burning building by a psychopath then you’re on your way to understanding the Charlton experience.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If you can imagine getting saved from a burning building by a psychopath then you’re on your way to understanding the Charlton experience.
Its a sad sight.

I remember when Charlton was the hipster team in Sweden... Mathias Svensson and Martin Pringle and stuff.. Lots of talk about the club and the TV would try to show some of your games. Think I remember every single squad member of your 01/02 squad.

Can't you just call Curbishley to come and work his magic?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yes I saw that one but also saw us lose 4-3 there in a thriller , with the lead changing hands several times, and Hales and Flanagan causing us all sorts of problems.
Flanagan and Hales were a very good partnership… and they did some catchy tunes.

Uboat

Nov 11, 2022
Its a sad sight.

I remember when Charlton was the hipster team in Sweden... Mathias Svensson and Martin Pringle and stuff.. Lots of talk about the club and the TV would try to show some of your games. Think I remember every single squad member of your 01/02 squad.

Can't you just call Curbishley to come and work his magic?
Not forgetting that Bjorn Borg is a Charlton fan of course. The return of Curbishley was talked about ever since he left, but there aren’t many left who really thinks it’s a good idea. He works on Charlton TV now, so has watched the horror unfold with the rest of us.
Regarding the football, you will be overwhelming favourites of course. We have played really well a few times this season. The 5-1 victory over Plymouth was like watching Brazil ‘82. However, getting outplayed by Stevenage for 80 minutes before nicking a draw and victory on penalties is perhaps more typical.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
I seem to remember Nobby Horton missing a penalty in the 4-3 defeat . :facepalm:
Well from memory we had a penalty to go 3-2 up. Horton scored the first which was retaken because of encroachment. His second attempt was saved but the keeper had moved so it went to a third go. Wardy took that one and scored.

I'm not 100% on this but that's my recollection from all those years ago.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Matches scheduled for December 20th. Let's hope no-one is injured in the pointless WCF. I'm sure they wouldn't want to miss this.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well from memory we had a penalty to go 3-2 up. Horton scored the first which was retaken because of encroachment. His second attempt was saved but the keeper had moved so it went to a third go. Wardy took that one and scored.

I'm not 100% on this but that's my recollection from all those years ago.
You're right. Was at that game. We went in top of the table having beaten Sunderland 2-0 at Roker park on the Saturday and beating Charlton would have cemented that position. If memory serves me well we were on the massive terrace at the side.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
It will be interesting to see the difference between a side who won’t have played a competitive game for 6 weeks and one who will have played every week during that time.
Which is why we MUST play our strongest team. Hopefully we can get some sort of friendly sorted so at least those players not involved in the WC can keep sharp.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here