Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car Insurance

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing
The cheapest car for young drivers is.......Classic VW Beetle!!! on special historic cover limited to 5,000 miles PA (Adrian Flux circa £1,350 TPF&T) after 1 year you will find a Polo, 106 etc will be around £1,100 TPF&T

shame theres not enough classic vw beetles to go round! i would love one... but finding one which is reasonably reliable in good nick for cheapish (im on a apprentice wage) is near on impossible! thanks for the advice though!

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing
Passed my test today and cannot find a quote for less than £3500. Looking to insure a vauxhall corsa or a peugeot 106, which are supposed to be the cheapest cars to insure for young drivers.
Pretty miffed at this point. :tantrum:

have you looked at getting one of them trackers fitted? it can limit different things (what times you drive, how far you drive, how fast you drive how fast you take corners etc) and each time you break one of these rules you get a fine from the insurance company. from my understand it knocks the insurance down a hell of alot, but not being able to drive at night is a massive pain... not for me personally.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
but still...

i pay £2000 a year for my insurance, if it wasnt under a named driver it would be nearer £5000, and my car is worth £1500, so really wasnt willing to pay £5000 to insure it,

until there is some sort of way of insuring young drivers for cheaper (i know we are most likely to crash and they are trying to run a business blah blah blah) everyone is going to do this, surely?

The insurance is not covering the cost of your car but the likelihood of you causing damage or injury to third parties!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing
The insurance is not covering the cost of your car but the likelihood of you causing damage or injury to third parties!

I understand that but how can any 18 year old afford to pay 5 grand to insure a car, along with the rising costs of fuel etc etc! In my opinon, something around the two grand mark is about right, but at the end of the year if you have made no claims half of it can go back to the driver? As the driver has not cost the insurance company anything? (maybe a small amount in admin but not £1000 worth) and the insurance companies would still probably be quids in!

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
This increased my price by £200 :/

It doesn't always work, i had to get rid of my mum when she got some points on her licence and now she's into the above 60 bracket which some insurers put the price up again for. When i first got insurance i used Elephants offer of 10 months insurance will give you a year no claims so i got to two years NCB a few months earlier although i'm not sure i saved a lot by doing that. Also you need to shop around, try following the insurance tips on moneysaving expert and also there are cashback sites that can give you a few quid back as well somtimes. I got £70 back from aviva last year doing that.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
but still...

i pay £2000 a year for my insurance, if it wasnt under a named driver it would be nearer £5000, and my car is worth £1500, so really wasnt willing to pay £5000 to insure it,

They are not insuring the car, to a large extent the value of the car is not a high concern for the insurance company, they are insuring the "risk" of you driving it and the damage to can cause to other property or persons with it, which you will appreciate it far higher than the value of your car.

until there is some sort of way of insuring young drivers for cheaper (i know we are most likely to crash and they are trying to run a business blah blah blah) everyone is going to do this, surely?

Only those who are willing to take the risk, If you are caught doing what you are doing. several outcomes are possible.
1) If you are within 2 years of passing you driving test you would be banned form driving and have to re take the driving test to obtain you licence back.
2) If as result of an accident then having no insurance means you could be sued for the damage you cause to other car or property, of heaven forbid, injuries caused to persons.
Harsh i know, but no not "everyone is going to do this."
If you can't afford it don't have them.
I have sympathies for all young driver, my son is 19 and had a driving license for over a year, but cannot afford the insurance so he doesn't have a car.
Having a licence and having a car to drive is a luxury and not a right.
It seems that as soon as a young driver gets a licence that seem to think they have a right to have a car ?
What you are doing is illegal, so be prepared to accept the consequences if caught. just don't hit me !

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing
Appreciate your comments, I still think doing the insurance this way is better than no insurance and driving! And just so you know ive nearly been driving for a year now and once that is done I'm going straight onto my own policy, and have been planning to do so since I first took out insurance. And with no claims! (touch wood)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I got my renewal from Axa, it was a £100 more than what I was quoted from the same company through Confused.com ! When I asked for an explanation no response was forthcoming, needless to say I won't be insuring with them again. Incidentally the quote I got from Aviva (who are doing some heavy advertising right now) was more than a £100 more then the next best quote, Direct Line were extortionate too.

Shop around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here