Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car Insurance

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Has anyone here who has made a claim through their car insurance had their annual mileage checked? People I've asked say not.

I think I might be being to honest with mine.....

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Don't you also have to have a main car insured to qualify for reduced rate classic car insurance any more?

No but generally you need to have the use of another car; I had a 1982 suzuki jeep insured as a classic, 3k miles/year, £160 and use of the Saab that's in wifey's name that we share.

My classic policy didn't accrues any no claims though but fortunately when I changed it for a Jimny on regular insurence Direct Line honoured my NCD from 2.5 years ago.

yes, more likely. maybe for example, 10% likly to have an accident rather than 2%.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember that for 17yo males, it's something like 90% likely that they will have an accident in the first year.

For a new driver, I'de recommend getting the smallest engined car about, something like a 800cc Diahatsu, that's what my boy will be getting in a couple of years

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing
tescos insurance with your mum/dad as first driver, you as named driver. i passed almost a year ago when i was 17 and cost £2000 on a 1.2 punto, cheapest you will find it anywhere though! good luck... and dont crash into me

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Play a couple off each other. I was quoted £825 by Aviva, my current insurer but went to Direct Line to see what they could do, took their price and package, went back to aviva with it and got £655. I've been driving for 3 years with no claims and this was on a 2009 Fiesta 1.4 that I bought. Very happy with this deal seeing as my brother, two years younger than me has and '05 fiesta and his renewal was £1650. It's an absolute joke, I would seriously hate to look for car insurance as a 17/18 year old at the moment.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Thank god for all these teenagers subsidising us - group 18 car - £180 fully comp :D Unfortunately you have to be the wrong side of 50 to get this :down:

And i'm going to have to insure my 17 year old in a couple of months :down::down::down::down:

Shop around, different cars will be different prices due to each insurers experience. A good post code helps, Pass Plus, some insurers give discounts for curfews and adding named drivers who are older helps (even if they would only drive the car occasionally) but DO NOT put the car in a parent's name if it is not their main car.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
tescos insurance with your mum/dad as first driver, you as named driver. i passed almost a year ago when i was 17 and cost £2000 on a 1.2 punto, cheapest you will find it anywhere though! good luck... and dont crash into me

I hope you don't have an accident as your claim will be denied due to illegal insurance - be a lot more than the insurance when you are sued.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
One way of reducing the cost a little is to have a policy in your name but put one of your parents (usually mother) onto it as a named driver and that can bring it down a bit and then your parents also have use of your car if necessary. I had both my mum and my sister on my insurance as additional drivers and although i was the main policy holder it brought the price down and they very rarely drove my car

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
The thing to remember with car insurance is that it's all based on averages - comparing you with other 'similar' people, eg people with the same postcode or job as you.

If you have a job title that is vague, try out different things. Eg if you are an accountant working for the council, you could type in accountant, civil servant or chartered accountant and they would all give you different quotes, depending on who has had an accident recently.

Fully comp is often cheaper than third party fire & theft - because people with third party are more likely to be lower income and to make more claims.

Add someone else as a named driver - my mum only uses my car once or twice a year when she is here babysitting, but she's a semi-retired civil servant, which is a low risk group, so my premium is about £200 cheaper with her on it. I used to let my ex-boyfriend drive my car, and that also made it cheaper - because people who share cars are safer than the average. Also, when I had 3 points on my licence my premiums went up, but putting him on the insurance with no points made it go back down again.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
1. 1 in 5 drivers are involved in a crash during their first year on the road

2. Male drivers aged under 21 are 10 times more likely to have a car accident than male drivers aged 35 or over

3. Young drivers have a higher proportion of crashes at night than older drivers

4. 1 in 8 British drivers are under 25, but a quarter of drivers who die in traffic collisions are in this age group

5. In 2007, 40% of passengers killed or seriously injured – meaning lost limbs, paralysis, brain injury and other life-changing injuries – were in a car driven by a young driver

Bisto

Getting older everyday
Oct 25, 2010
Brighton
Passed my test today and cannot find a quote for less than £3500. Looking to insure a vauxhall corsa or a peugeot 106, which are supposed to be the cheapest cars to insure for young drivers.
Pretty miffed at this point. :tantrum:

The cheapest car for young drivers is.......Classic VW Beetle!!! on special historic cover limited to 5,000 miles PA (Adrian Flux circa £1,350 TPF&T) after 1 year you will find a Polo, 106 etc will be around £1,100 TPF&T

Bisto

Getting older everyday
Oct 25, 2010
Brighton

Be careful despite being a cheap way to insure as others have said if you are the main driver this invalidates the cover! and this can be more of an issue that others have stated. If the insurance company discover this through accident or other means the company will refuse to insure you......Then next time you get quotation for car insurance you need to declare "yes" to the question "Have you ever been declined insurance?" Double whammie! and they do share information between companies!!

Sajerz

Feb 6, 2008
Leamington
I would recommend Aviva for insurance if your going on as a named driver. I did this last year as a 18 year old, got 12 months for the price of 10 and for all 3 of us it cost us £1000. I do also get a NCB, however it is only valid with Aviva.

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
Has anyone here who has made a claim through their car insurance had their annual mileage checked? People I've asked say not.

I think I might be being to honest with mine.....

If your vehicle requires an MOT the milage is recorded annually as part of the vehicle details on the MOT certificate. That information is stored on the VOSA (Vehicle and Operator Services Agency) MOT database. I would imagine that insurance companies may well have access to that.

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing
How could they ever prove I wasn't the main driver? 'I was driving it as a one off to get some groceries for my mum', I'm sure they have heard it all before but there is no way of proving it is there??

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I could be wrong but I seem to remember that for 17yo males, it's something like 90% likely that they will have an accident in the first year.

so only 1 in 10 do not have an accident? ask yourself, how many friends and family you personally know had accidents, and think how likly this is. its nearer the other way round.

1. 1 in 5 drivers are involved in a crash during their first year on the road

2. Male drivers aged under 21 are 10 times more likely to have a car accident than male drivers aged 35 or over

3. Young drivers have a higher proportion of crashes at night than older drivers

4. 1 in 8 British drivers are under 25, but a quarter of drivers who die in traffic collisions are in this age group

5. In 2007, 40% of passengers killed or seriously injured – meaning lost limbs, paralysis, brain injury and other life-changing injuries – were in a car driven by a young driver

i'd be interested to know the source of all that. at a glance the numbers dont look like they will cross reference very well. for example point 3 could simply be because young drivers drive more at night (and "young" is a relative term to use in stats), while 2 and 4 dont look like they'll add up. i dont say they are wrong per se, just that ive been told by an actuary that alot stuff is manipulated (lies, damn lies and statistics)

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
I am 18 and passed my test a year ago on 29th september and I drive a peugeot 106 1.1, so I am in a perfect position to answer this question. Try Tesco car insurance and go for the 'Value' package, I am isnured as a named driver on my dads insurance and he is the registered keeper of the car making my insurance only £1100 for the year and £98 per month. I know they are trying to crackdown on fronting but it was the only way I could afford to run a car which I needed for work. I also was hit by an uninsured driver whilst driving and i got a payout by the MIB of £1800 and no enquiry at all into whether I was a named driver but still drove it more often, they also didn't check mileage on the car so putting your annual mileage down to 4000-6000 a year will help lower the price. Tesco also offer a named driver discount if you are the named driver for a year claim free which I qualify for as my accident was not my fault, this discount is practically identical in savings to 1 years no claims, 30%. So IMO this is the best option, P.S if you want to buy a Peugeot 106, you can buy mine £400? :p

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
One way of reducing the cost a little is to have a policy in your name but put one of your parents (usually mother) onto it as a named driver and that can bring it down a bit and then your parents also have use of your car if necessary. I had both my mum and my sister on my insurance as additional drivers and although i was the main policy holder it brought the price down and they very rarely drove my car

This increased my price by £200 :/

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
How could they ever prove I wasn't the main driver? 'I was driving it as a one off to get some groceries for my mum', I'm sure they have heard it all before but there is no way of proving it is there??

Does the "main driver" also have their own car that they drive ? bit of a clue.
If you think Insurance companies are that stupid you are very naive.
They have employers who's salaries are dependant and covered by the claimants who they can avoid paying out.
For instance, Where you work, are there any CCTV in the area ?

"thats funny your mums cars is parked very near where you work every day, hhhhmmmmmm."

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
In my experience insurance companies will try every trick in the book before paying out any money, so yes if you have a limited mileage policy they will check your MOT certs and yes if you're fronting they will check.

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing
Does the "main driver" also have their own car that they drive ? bit of a clue.
If you think Insurance companies are that stupid you are very naive.
They have employers who's salaries are dependant and covered by the claimants who they can avoid paying out.
For instance, Where you work, are there any CCTV in the area ?

"thats funny your mums cars is parked very near where you work every day, hhhhmmmmmm."

but still...

i pay £2000 a year for my insurance, if it wasnt under a named driver it would be nearer £5000, and my car is worth £1500, so really wasnt willing to pay £5000 to insure it,

until there is some sort of way of insuring young drivers for cheaper (i know we are most likely to crash and they are trying to run a business blah blah blah) everyone is going to do this, surely?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here