Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Captain Sir Tom Moore - *Died 2 Feb 2021*

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
What? Bizarre argument.

I'm more outraged at the Tory treatment of NHS workers (which is what the protest was highlighting) than some faeces on a bit of metal.

I just looked this up (because, as I wrote in my previous post, I'd forgotten) and all the reports I saw stated it supposed to be against private jets.

Which I appreciate doesn't make any difference to the argument.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I just looked this up (because, as I wrote in my previous post, I'd forgotten) and all the reports I saw stated it supposed to be against private jets.

Which I appreciate doesn't make any difference to the argument.

I think her protest was rather muddled. My understanding is that she belongs to a protest group that is trying to end the use of private jets but this was about the NHS and done off her own bat.

I may have that wrong.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I think her protest was rather muddled. My understanding is that she belongs to a protest group that is trying to end the use of private jets but this was about the NHS and done off her own bat.

I may have that wrong.

I think that the point was the effort that goes into saving the NHS and health care workers is meaningless while allowing the ongoing environmental disaster to continue.

Which while broadly true doesn't in any way validate her actions. I think I've put more thought into getting my head around her statement in the last 5minutes, than she put into the protest.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
But pouring shit on other people's property either carries a custodial sentence or it doesn't.

I don't agree, context is absolutely key to how harshly a court will treat you. Everything gets taken into account.

Football is an obvious example. If I punch someone on west street on Saturday night I'd probably get away with a caution. If I do it at a football match it would go through the courts and probably a minimum of suspended sentence plus travel restrictions.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't agree, context is absolutely key to how harshly a court will treat you. Everything gets taken into account.

Football is an obvious example. If I punch someone on west street on Saturday night I'd probably get away with a caution. If I do it at a football match it would go through the courts and probably a minimum of suspended sentence plus travel restrictions.

Regardless of this idiot woman’s protest, that’s not true.

I deal with people hitting each other in West St every Friday and Saturday night. You would get arrested and charged if you acted out of malice in punching someone.

The law rarely takes context into account. That’s why thousands of women are locked up for hurting or murdering abusive partners.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

The daughter and her husband, must demolish their new swimming pool complex. She built it partly for the needs of Tom's charitable foundation, of course.
It’s hard to understand why the charity needs a swimming pool and spa.

Is there any suggestion money from the charity has been spent out of all the donations towards the building as well? Or is that the inquiry investigation? Sorry, not up to speed on this story. BBCs most read tonight!

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
It’s hard to understand why the charity needs a swimming pool and spa.

Is there any suggestion money from the charity has been spent out of all the donations towards the building as well? Or is that the inquiry investigation? Sorry, not up to speed on this story. BBCs most read tonight!
I don’t think the trust knew anything about it. They claim the space was ‘urgently required’ for presentations and memorabilia.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I don’t think the trust knew any about it. They claim the space was ‘urgently required’ for presentations and memorabilia.
Massages (spa) and entertainment (pool) too? :) That’s a bit of a stretch but sure planning permissions been granted for way more controversial applications. I’m not sure the pile in is deserved so far. Outcome of the inquiry is the bit to reserve judgement for

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Bit of an odd story open to interpretation. Some reports the say the building wasn't completed, some say contains a spa.

Appear to have used the charities name on the planning application. Well not the actual application, but supporting documents.

No allegation of using the charities money, but then built something else, applied retrospectively (giving the details of what was actually built) and now told to demolish it.

Which is subject to appeal.

Charities trustees rightly pissed off and now not taking donations.

Why bother ? They just wasted thousands of pounds.

Just read another report that says they built the "original" building as per plan under the name of the charity, but then extended it (under their own names) and retrospective planning has been denied.

Neighbours dobbed them in of course :lolol:

Parish Council notes from last year.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have bought quite a few car magazines over the years and I have noticed that many “owners cars” are CEOs of charities. Nearly always supercars too.

Makes me very suspicious and reluctant to donate because of it. The salaries some of these CEOs take is nothing short of scandalous imo when you consider they are supposed to be charities.

This one smells the same to me :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have bought quite a few car magazines over the years and I have noticed that many “owners cars” are CEOs of charities. Nearly always supercars too.

Makes me very suspicious and reluctant to donate because of it. The salaries some of these CEOs take is nothing short of scandalous imo when you consider they are supposed to be charities.

It’s not just the CEO’s. I know someone who works for a registered charity, below Board/management level, on £100k.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house

Chap who serviced the air conditioning system at the office also did the cat protection league's head office on Ashdown Forest. He said the car park was full of top of the range, very expensive cars.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here