Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Captain Sir Tom Moore - *Died 2 Feb 2021*

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
This puts a very different spin on it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...oundation-donations-expenditure-b2009996.html

It's a completely new concern separate from the money raised for the NHS. According to the above, the "costs" are quite usual when you set a charity up for the first time.

No idea, but don't blame the messenger.

Too many people, with their told you so attitude, without having access to, or so it appears, understanding the full facts.

Why are people so judgmental? It’s almost like they want to see wrong in people doing good...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This puts a very different spin on it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...oundation-donations-expenditure-b2009996.html

It's a completely new concern separate from the money raised for the NHS. According to the above, the "costs" are quite usual when you set a charity up for the first time.

No idea, but don't blame the messenger.

I thought it sounded a bit odd when I read the earlier linked article - it was only talking about a few hundred ks, not the main NHS fund.Thanks for the clarification - the consultancy costs for the new foundation don’t look unreasonable IMO. Plenty of charities would be delighted to have costs running at 15% of donations.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Too many people, with their told you so attitude, without having access to, or so it appears, understanding the full facts.

Why are people so judgmental? It’s almost like they want to see wrong in people doing good...

As far as I can see, it’s one journo’s word against another. Not sure it’s “people” - just the press.

I have no idea who’s right - but it’s an interesting story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The facts still stand.
It is a lot of money sunk on costs, including £100k going to other family members businesses. Nothing fraudulent but surely a better way could have been found to maximise how much of the donations went to the charity funds without what look like fairly big overheads.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The facts still stand.
It is a lot of money sunk on costs, including £100k going to other family members businesses. Nothing fraudulent but surely a better way could have been found to maximise how much of the donations went to the charity funds without what look like fairly big overheads.

So this is what I have read.

When the campaign went viral unexpectedly , they used their own consultancy company and staff (remember we in a middle of a pandemic) to administrate.

All the money raised went to NHS Charities, but now the charity is set up they have claimed the costs back.

and of course you have to spend money to set up a new charity.

If true, beyond a few admin mistakes in setting up the charity proper I'm really struggling to see where the story is.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

When the campaign went viral unexpectedly , they used their own consultancy company and staff (remember we in a middle of a pandemic) to administrate.

All the money raised went to NHS Charities, but now the charity is set up they have claimed the costs back.

If true, beyond a few admin mistakes in setting up the charity proper I'm really struggling to see where the story is.

Question is why are the claiming consultancy fees for the money raised under the justgiving web page? Also, for the seperate charity now set up, did they advise that they would be taking money from that to cover work they claim they did during the previous campaign? I'm not sure people that contributed to the second campaign will be pleased with that.

It would be interesting to see exactly what they were invoicing for during the NHS fundraising drive. If they are claiming for time spent doing interviews with tv etc with Sir Tom then that's not a good look.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
His daughter did a strange interview where she described 2020 as her best financial year ever in the Mail on Sunday.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
His daughter did a strange interview where she described 2020 as her best financial year ever in the Mail on Sunday.

On that column they interview completely random people all the time, often with something to promote or sell.

The column was used to promote the charity.

It seems like a very honest interview. When asked "What was the best year of your financial life?" (which is a standard question on that column) she responded they raised £38.9million for charity, which all went to charity.

If that's someone up to something dodgy they are doing in very plain sight. If they've now built a full time charity out it and they get paid to administer it, I'm not sure what the problem is.

The reality is you have to pay people to run charities and they are very closely monitored. The story has broken because they have released their first year accounts, which are not connected to the original money raised.

The stories in the newspapers look deliberately nuanced to confuse the money raised in the lockdown and the set up of a new charity.

Hope not to be wrong, but having read widely on it - that's my honest opinion.

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
Haven't read the articles in detail but the family certainly weren't short of money anyway before any of it happened. Did you see the size of the garden?! And the grandson was at £21k per year Bedford boys school

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

This.

I am very used to reading articles that don't print proper facts and are designed to get a reaction.

I wouldn't make any judgement until the organisation gets to present their case in a way that people can look at objectively.

My initial reaction was one of surprise and annoyance, but then thought it best to let them state the facts as they see it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh shit - here we go again. OK, I'm outraged. Where do I sign up?

Perhaps the old boy would be happy that his children and grandchildren also got something out of his efforts? Selfish old git - dig him up and burn him, eh?.

Ermm ........... is that OK with everybody?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Are you pissed ?

If that was attempt to draw parallels with "people being offended by everything" and some odd tabloid headlines about a charities first year accounts then I suggest you go to bed.

Next thing we know people will be accusing Momentum of attacking Kier Starmer outside parliament.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Perhaps the old boy would be happy that his children and grandchildren also got something out of his efforts? Selfish old git - dig him up and burn him, eh?.

Ermm ........... is that OK with everybody?

What an odd post. Gin?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here