Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cappello Offered England Job - Corrierre Dello Sport

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
From Sportinglife.com:

Reports in Italy claim Juventus coach Fabio Capello has been offered the England job.

The Corriere dello Sport have revealed that the Football Association are prepared to offer Capello a luxury pad in London in addition to a salary of around £4.7million-a-year until the 2010 World Cup.

There has been increased speculation of late that the FA would appoint an English manager ever since the decision was taken in January for Sven Goran Eriksson to step down after Germany 2006.

Likely successors have included former Celtic boss Martin O'Neill, Manchester City manager Stuart Pearce and Sam Allardyce of Bolton Wanderers.

But now it has emerged that a more high-profile foreign name is being sought, with Capello now top of the bill.

And the Juve boss, whose side leads Serie A by 12 points from AC Milan, is contracted at the Stadio Delle Alpi until 2007 but his future at the club has been put in doubt recently.

Juventus' chief operating officer, Antonio Giraudo hinted this week that the Bianconeri are on the lookout for Capello's successor with Roma trainer Luciano Spalletti the prime target.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Christ knows we have enough 'racism' threds on here, but surely preferring - with a level playing field - an English coach isn't racist.

The fact of whether or not your country is producing coaches capable of coaching England is a reflection of how the system is working - or not.

All things being equal, an English coach of similar experience and achievement should be better atuned to the needs of the job and what is required dealing with club managers etc.

The problem has been it hasn't been 'a level playing field' - ie all candidates were of roughly equal ability. The foreign candidates were better, when Sven was appointed and maybe again now.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
sullyupthewing said:
It would not surpise me if he got the job, prefer an Englishman though, is that racist maybe but who cares.
It would not surprise me if he had been offered it, I'd be surprised if he took it.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can tell you now, there is NO WAY the FA will tie themselves into a 4 year deal for nigh-on £5 million a year this time. Once bitten.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Easy 10 said:
I can tell you now, there is NO WAY the FA will tie themselves into a 4 year deal for nigh-on £5 million a year this time. Once bitten.

You reckon? Not so sure, if they want someone badly enough to pick up the pieces after the shambles that our appearance in Germany 2006 may become they may well offer mega money again

Last edited:

E

enigma

Best manager in the world, but I would be surprised if he took it. A good outside bet might be him for the Man U job.

And the Corriere isnt as trusty as the Gazzetta either, so we will see....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Icy Gull said:
You reckon? Not so sure, if they want someone badly enough to pick up the pieces after the shambles that our appearance in Germany 2006 may become they may well offer mega money again
I just can't see it.
Eriksson was already the highest paid International manager by a distance on his ("richly earned") £4.5m a year post. Those at the FA would have been bitterly regretting throwing all that extra cash at him when he was caught with his trollies round his ankles while Roman was tickling his ringer.

You can be sure that whoever they appoint, they will NOT be on anything like the money than the swedish slap is currently raking in. I expect it will be more bonus-related this time.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
3gulls said:
Wrong! England Managers should be English. And CofE at that! :salute:
So you'd rather England be shit under an Englishman than succesful under a foreign manager?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Best offer in ages if true and magnificent for England

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
If the players have to be English then surely the coach should be?

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Silent Bob said:
So you'd rather England be shit under an Englishman than succesful under a foreign manager?

That would sum it up. However, you are assuming that we would be shit under an english Manager. That is unlikely to be the case whoever is in charge. (Or perhapse i should not be so bold with the FA making the appointment!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here