Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cannabis.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Interesting reading:

Health risks of cannabis 'underestimated', experts warn

Experts are warning that the public dangerously underestimates the health risks linked to smoking cannabis.

The British Lung Foundation carried out a survey of 1,000 adults and found a third wrongly believed cannabis did not harm health.

And 88% incorrectly thought tobacco cigarettes were more harmful than cannabis ones - when the risk of lung cancer is actually 20 times higher.

The BLF said the lack of awareness was "alarming".

Latest figures show that 30% of 16-59 year-olds in England and Wales have used cannabis in their lifetimes.

A new report from the BLF says there are established scientific links between smoking cannabis and tuberculosis, acute bronchitis and lung cancer.

Part of the reason for this, say the experts, is that people smoking cannabis take deeper puffs and hold them for longer than when smoking tobacco cigarettes.

This means that someone smoking a cannabis cigarette inhales four times as much tar as from a tobacco cigarette, and five times as much carbon monoxide, the BLF says.

Its survey found that young people are particularly unaware of the risks.

Some studies have also suggested cannabis increases the chances of developing mental health problems such as schizophrenia.

Almost 40% of the under-35s surveyed - the age group most likely to have smoked it - thought cannabis was not harmful.

However, smoking one cannabis cigarette increases the chances of developing lung cancer by as much as an entire packet of 20 tobacco cigarettes, the BLF warned.

Its chief executive, Dame Helena Shovelton, said: "It is alarming that, while new research continues to reveal the multiple health consequences of smoking cannabis, there is still a dangerous lack of public awareness of quite how harmful this drug can be.

"This is not a niche problem - cannabis is one of the most widely-used recreational drugs in the UK, with almost a third of the population having tried it.

"We therefore need a serious public health campaign - of the kind that has helped raise awareness of the dangers of eating fatty foods or smoking tobacco - to finally dispel the myth that smoking cannabis is somehow a safe pastime."

The BLF's report says there should be a public education programme to raise awareness of the impact of smoking cannabis and increased investment in research into the health consequences of its use.

Peter Reynolds, leader of Clear, which used to be known as the Legalise Cannabis Alliance, suggested the BLF had been highly-selective in its use of research.

He added: "It is clear that this report was written not as a scientific document but as campaigning propaganda.

"As such it is misleading, inaccurate and dangerously irresponsible."

Dec 29, 2011
'tis true. Most my friends say it's less harmful than smoking cigarettes, however I remember a report came out a few years ago that said one joint was the same as smoking 8 cigarettes. What about 'hash cakes'... any harm in them?

Last edited:

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Absolutely. Cannabis is the devil.

We are plagued down my road by stoned people having fights, kicking wing mirrors off cars, being sick etc.

Hang on, now I think about it I might have that confused with drunk people.

But drinking is OK so forget it.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Ive smoked daily since 1979... I work in the IT business, and have done most of my life. ..ive never taken anything else, which sort of debunks the ...it leads to other drugs myth... It isnt for everybody, the same as drink isnt for everybody...I smoke cigarettes, and from a lung poinit of view, it isnt good, but I take the other scare stories with a shovel of salt.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Looks like the media needs to demonise cannabis a bit more, presumably in response to the recent cries of common sense saying that it would be best if it were legalised.

If you were a Youth Worker, watching what Cannabis is doing to Young People, and what and where it leads them to next, you might think differently about legalising it.

It's very clear that the 'War on Drugs' isn't working, and I really don'tthink there is an easy solution, but making it easier to get hold of cannot be the answer IMO.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
If you were a Youth Worker, watching what Cannabis is doing to Young People, and what and where it leads them to next, you might think differently about legalising it.

It's very clear that the 'War on Drugs' isn't working, and I really don'tthink there is an easy solution, but making it easier to get hold of cannot be the answer IMO.

Surely it is better to address why young people want to smoke Cannabis, rather than just trying to demonise anybody who does.

In my youth many of us smoked weed just to forget about the world, and I would guess that the UK I was a teenager in 15-20 years ago was a lot easier to grow up in than the current one.

As long as young people, especially young men, feel the need to just get away from everything weed will always be a popular option.

I must admit the new strains of "super skunk" I wouldn't touch with a bargepole, and they seem to have a much higher instance of causing mental health issues in their users.

If weed was controlled centrally by government, then the super mind bending skunk could be replaced with nice normal mellow high weed, young people who want to score weed could be engaged with by youth workers in order to get it, rather than drug dealers, and we can start to think logically about our weed consumption "problems" in the UK.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Ive smoked daily since 1979... I work in the IT business, and have done most of my life. ..ive never taken anything else, which sort of debunks the ...it leads to other drugs myth... It isnt for everybody, the same as drink isnt for everybody...I smoke cigarettes, and from a lung poinit of view, it isnt good, but I take the other scare stories with a shovel of salt.

Personally I think your card's either marked or it isn't. Sure smoking in any form doesn't do wonders for your chances of avoiding disease and death, but there are many smokers who have lived long lives untroubled by significant health issues, while conversely many people with healthy lifestyles meet their maker prematurely.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

I'd avoid the salt if I was you. Especially by the shovel.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Yep, and I have seen a couple of people go a bit weird, supposedly through cannabis, but its difficult to tell... but yeah, I think its more to do with the individual than the drugs, whatever it is...

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
I smoke weed every evening, have done for the past couple of years. Not to get stoned off my face, but to relax and chill out. I have not seen any negatives from it, for my age I have a great job that pays well, great social life, I'm down the gym 4 nights a week and couldn't really be happier.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I smoke weed every evening, have done for the past couple of years. Not to get stoned off my face, but to relax and chill out. I have not seen any negatives from it, for my age I have a great job that pays well, great social life, I'm down the gym 4 nights a week and couldn't really be happier.

According to the OP you will be dead before the start of next season by the looks of it Nick.

Can I have your stuff?

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
If it wasn't cannabis then "the kids" would be doing something else. I'm not condoning it, just saying like.
In my day we did butane, petrol, aerosols you name it, even a vicks inhaler dropped in a pint of lager to get a buzz. At least when we discovered cannabis we didn't destroy our brain cells as quickly as we were doing.
Now I'm older and wiser I can say, give it a go if you want but it's hardly makes you the most interesting person to be around.

Plus it really is bloody expensive for what you get, in my day etc. etc.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
A new report from the BLF says there are established scientific links between smoking cannabis and tuberculosis, acute bronchitis and lung cancer.

Part of the reason for this, say the experts, is that people smoking cannabis take deeper puffs and hold them for longer than when smoking tobacco cigarettes.

This means that someone smoking a cannabis cigarette inhales four times as much tar as from a tobacco cigarette, and five times as much carbon monoxide, the BLF says.

This may be true, but smokers smoke a lot more cigarettes than cannabis smokers smoke spliffs! Ten fags a day would be twice as harmful as one spliff.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Throughout life I have been surrounded by cannabis smokers. In my teens I used to smoke weed every day, as did all of my friends. I can say with absolute confidence that for the vast majority of people its not a dangerous drug in the slightest. The only danger for most seems to be the act of smoking.

The problem seems to be that cannabis is selectively bred for potency, and as a result it has become obscenely strong to the degree that the average "skunk" these days would have been regarded as an extreme batch in my teenage years.

With legalisation, the potency could be regulated. The few people that do have adverse mental effects would be better advised - and of course the tax revenue could be used for further research and support.

My point exactly.

Well said Mustafa

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here