Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Canadian Grand Prix

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Best Grand Prix for many years.

Agreed, I have been following F1 for years and that is the most exciting race I can remember. I think the changes this season have led to far more overtaking, despite people calling it a gimmick, plus the uncertainty caused by the tyres suddenly going off. Although Vettell seems to be in a league of his own at times the last lap today shows that he is at least human and capable of the odd mistake, most of the time you might get away with what he did, this evening it cost him the race.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
red J.Button
Thanks - just retuned the tv to get red button to work (normally stick to sky) - needn't have bothered, rubbish highlights. Button was 21st, then they skipped a bit and he was 9th, the suddenly he was 4th.
1:10am its on bbc 2 full highlights i suggest watching it! best race i have ever seen!
That sounds more like it - not showing on my guide, is it a late change to the schedule?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Thanks - just retuned the tv to get red button to work (normally stick to sky) - needn't have bothered, rubbish highlights. Button was 21st, then they skipped a bit and he was 9th, the suddenly he was 4th.
That sounds more like it - not showing on my guide, is it a late change to the schedule?

Even watching it real-time while Button was making his charge there were a couple of times where the commentators gave out his position, only for the caption running along the bottom of the screen to show he had already advanced further, his progress really was that fast!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I moaned, whinged and whined my way through today's GP. I still think they have no idea of what F1 is all about compared to 20 years and more ago ... it rains, they don't race, what's that all about? However what a brilliant outcome, best race for bloody ages!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
there were a couple of times where the commentators gave out his position, only for the caption running along the bottom of the screen to show he had already advanced further, his progress really was that fast!
Yeah I can appreciate the cameras and commentators were concentrating on the leaders, so they wouldn't see all his moves, but the highlights were condensed to a few minutes which doesn't do this race justice. A nice half hour highlights show should do it. I haven't really watched F1 for about 10 years, it got too dull (switched to moto gp), I don't know what they were talking about with the wings (I have lots to learn).

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
...Although Vettell seems to be in a league of his own at times the last lap today shows that he is at least human and capable of the odd mistake, most of the time you might get away with what he did, this evening it cost him the race.

Vettel's hardly had any pressure all year though, other than the last few laps in Spain where he did hold up well to Hamilton. He's great in quali and when he's got free space and no-one pressuring him and he can put quick laps in, but i do think under pressure he's a bit suspect and he's not the best over-taker, but he hardly needs that recently! Unfortunately Webber has had a poor year in the only car that can put him under pressure.

Fantastic GP, but i do think F1 is a little too cautious nowadays with rain and safety cars, its a joke that drivers were switching to inter's straight after the safety car restart, they didn't even need full wets! JB is amazing in wet conditions, so is Hamilton really, just trying to hard atm.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That race had it all, great great drive by Button and seeing Vettell make a mistake is the best thing that could have happened in F1 at the moment.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I moaned, whinged and whined my way through today's GP. I still think they have no idea of what F1 is all about compared to 20 years and more ago ... it rains, they don't race, what's that all about?

did you not actually watch it? on a couple of corners, the chicane one of them, there were inches of standing water. the water plough was making a bow wave as it tried to clear it. that race would have been stopped 20 years ago.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Best Grand Prix I think I have ever seen - I am still smiling now!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
That was f***ing brilliant and i won some cash thanks to button

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
1:10am its on bbc 2 full highlights i suggest watching it!
I set sky+ to record BBC2 at 1am for 80 mins, and it wasn't on.

Anyone know if the full highlights are available anywhere?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Fantastic GP, but i do think F1 is a little too cautious nowadays with rain and safety cars, its a joke that drivers were switching to inter's straight after the safety car restart, they didn't even need full wets! JB is amazing in wet conditions, so is Hamilton really, just trying to hard atm.

Agree with that. It does seem like the Full Wets only exist to help clear the track and create a racing line. they are not even prepared to do that under race conditions, but stick those tyres on purely to drive round behind the safety car and clear the track for when racing can then restart.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I went to the pub to watch the GP and so after four and a half hours I can officially blame the Candian GP for getting me a little bit drunk yesterday.
Not the greatest race to start with and all rather tedious behind the safety car but what the hell, all people will remember is the second half of the race following the restart and some great action.
The only thing that is really starting to piss me off is every single bit of contact being investigated by the stewards. They must be on commision or something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here