Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Canada. British Columbia/Alberta (O/T)

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Me and the wife are planning to go to Canada this July. Starting from Vancouver and driving through the Rocky Mountains to Calgary.

Obviously I have my own ideas as to the attractions, but just in case I've missed some jewel, what should I definately go and see...places and things.

Also what is the weather like out there at this time of year, I've had conflicting stories.

Thanks

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Lakes Louise and Peyto ... Whistler's pretty snazzy any time of year. Vancouver Island also well worth a peek if you fancy going the other way.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
defrocked priest said:
Buy a copy of "The Lonely Planet",available at any bookstore.It's the best travel guide ever printed.There is a poster on Brightonfans.com who's a Canuck ,Juan Albion is his user name.Wouldn't hurt to see what he has to say.
Have a nice trip.

And I say "wibbleflipplediggle."

Did that hurt?

Actually, I've never been out west. Too darn far away.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Pity you won't be going to Ontario because I have to say that Niagara Fall are quite stunning.

mchaney

mick.seagulls
Jul 26, 2004
Kitchener (Canada)
Agreed with the second post Lake louis, Banff and Vancouver Island, (there are Train Trips that are way cool. Im on the otherside (Ontario)..As for weather we have just had the hottest January in 150 years where the average Temp was 10.4 degrees hotter than normal. You will see Rain and Snow with Temps hovering around the 0 mark at this time of year. lots of rain in the low lands and Snow in the higlands...Remind you of anywhere:lolol: :lolol:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Take a trip to Victoria on Vancouver Island. Assuming you're not a) heavily pregnant b) a big scaredy cat then book yourself on a Zodiac (rigid inflatable) and bomb out to see the Orca whales that visit and live in the area. I can recommend Seacoast Expeditions.

Great fun.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Curious Orange said:
In Vancouver, Capilano Canyon is well worth visiting, as are Grouse Mountain, and Stanley Park.

I'd agree with those too.. although Capilano Canyon's only a quick stop I think. As I remember it, you can do it on the way to Grouse Mountain.. or maybe I'm confused.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
trueblue said:
I'd agree with those too.. although Capilano Canyon's only a quick stop I think. As I remember it, you can do it on the way to Grouse Mountain.. or maybe I'm confused.

That is correct.

I probably haven't seen half of what you can see in Vancouver as the last couple of times I went out there was for my cousins' weddings and left little time for sightseeing.

Last edited:

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Weather will be great in July.

If you go to Vancouver Island I suggest Butchart Gardens http://www.butchartgardens.com superb place for flowers etc..

also on Vancouver Island and well worth a visit if you are close by is Cathedral Grove

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/ParksAndTrails/Parks/details/?ID=286

Back onto the mainland Columbia Icefield can be interesting.
http://www.columbiaicefield.com

As mentioned above Peyto lake is just the coolest colour of water you will ever see!

Whistler is a great little town to visit. Lots of bars and yes the ski lift runs all year so you can go to the top of the mountain and have a look about. We saw black bears running around when we were there in August.

If you can get to any of the hot springs it makes for a neat little swim http://www.bchotsprings.com

The real problem with the West Coast is you can't see it all. It takes a while driving up and down mountains but really the whole time is amazing.

Have fun!

We did this 4 years ago but the other way round starting at Calgary and ending in Vancouver. A great holiday. Definitely Peyto lake and lake Maligne (?sp). Also Emerald lake but I thought the most beautiful was Lake Morraine.
Theres a great hotel called Num-Ti-Yah Lodge on Bow Lake which is a great place to stay for a night or two.
I wasn't particularly impressed with Vancouver Island though. Vacouver's a great city, we took a seaplane trip for 40 minutes - fantastic!
I'll show you our holiday photos if you like :yawn:

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada
Wife and I did it the reverse way a couple of years ago. Take a guided tour in Vancouver taking in StanleyPark, Grouse Mtn and Capilano Suspension Bridge.
I didn't have too much of a sense of altitude driving thru the Rockies. I had more of that feeling driving the Toll Highway between Kamploops and Surrey.
Waher should be pretty good. Have a great vacation.

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
Never been in the summer but loads of times in the winter. Have a friend who lives in Calgary and I'll be going out at the end of the month.

Driving in Canada's great last year we drove down to Fernie from Calgary via Castle Mountain and then back up to Banff. The scenery's absolutely stunning and must be great in the summer.

Don't forget to stop at Timmy's for coffee.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Cadiz Seagull said:
I wasn't particularly impressed with Vancouver Island though.

It's important to think what you want out of Vancouver Island. Victoria promotes itself as an olde-style English town, with red buses and tea shops and flower gardens. Great if you're retired, but not much interest otherwise.

Similarly this is never going to be the place for wild nightlife and so on – there's some, but you'll get more of that back in mainland Vancouver.

If you want a more outdoors holiday, then head to the west coast, or further up north, where the island gets increasingly wild and unspoilt. A road trip on bikes or something would be good, and hiking, camping and so on are all excellent here. If you like canoeing or sailing, this is also a superb environment for it – possibly one of the best in the world. This is where Vancouver Island excels.

(Caveat: I am biased because I was born on the island, lived there as a kid and have been back since!)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
You're right to be biased. Vancouver Island is about much more than the rather twee Victoria, which is probably impressive to North Americans but not so interesting for Europeans under the age of 60.

Head north and the Pacific Rim National Park is fantastic. Tofino's great - another Zodiac trip to see bears fishing for crabs on the shore highly recommended, as is the sea kayaking.

Probably not enough time for all that if you're heading to Calgary... it's a holiday in itself.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Victoria is good for catching a zodiac out to the see the Orca's, which is a fantastic experience (have been out 4 times from there: Prince of Whales highly recommended (Stubbs Island further north also rec.)).
As Trueblue says, Tofino and Pacific Rim NP are great. Long Beach as well, especially if its stormy. Tofino nice and chilled.
A walk around Stanley Park In Vancouvers always worth it, plus a visit to the Aquarium. Burchets good if you like plants.

Three years back took the ferry from Vancouver Island, up to Prince Rupert, then drove to Jasper, then down to Banff and back to Vancouver, taking in Columbia Icefields, Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, the one near Jasper (I forget its name). Saw bears, Moose, Elk the lot. Shed load of driving in 2.5 weeks but worth it.

Wherever you go in that neck of the woods, you will enjoy. Great place :)

If you're in the BC/Alberta border area on highway three, a visit to the Frank slide is worth a look. Around one hundred years ago, a whole mining town was buried under a gigantic rock slide. Supposedly caused by the dodgy mining tecniques of the owners. The site is pretty much as is. Seeing a sea of rocks, looking at the pictures in the memorial centre and knowing a whole town is somewhere under there is quite moving. Apart from the previous suggestions for the area, if you wish to see the Worlds biggest truck, (allegedly) it's parked up next to the highway at nearby Sparwood.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here