Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Can we talk about Sanchez ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That was very, very poor. But Murray didn't clap the fans once. One lapse in judgement doesn't mean the end of a career with a club.
but RDZ has said he didn’t want to travel to Arsenal, or Newcastle. So that’s consecutive bad decisions in 2 weeks - and that’s just what we know about

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
Such a shame that Bob has decided to completely tarnish his reputation with the club by acting like a massive dick. No way back now and if we get anything over £15m we would have done pretty well for an ex academy keeper who’s second choice and not prepared to put in the graft to improve so he is closer to what RDZ wants him to do.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Could not have two more different characters on one hand you have Steele who sat as number 2 but worked to support successive number 1s whilst working hard to improve his game so when it it arose he could take his chance. Then we have Sanchez and his ego who broke into the first team got complacent and had his spot taken deservedly by the number 2 and rather than knuckle down and improve on areas RDZ wants him to sulks around like an entitled schoolboy and stinks the place out.

RDZ pretty clear how he feels about it and don’t imagine the rest of the squad will be happy with it either especially the senior pros who no doubt have tried to have a word too. Remember lallana was very short when asked about trossard leaving when he sulked for a move.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What's gone wrong? He's had a difficult spell in the team and finds himself out of it. He can recover, no problem. De Gea's first season at Man Utd he struggled to convince Sir Ferige that he was a top quality keeper, but he eventually did. Bobby needs to get his head down, work on his distribution and show RDZ he has balls.
You don't normally show a manager you have the right size balls by refusing to turn up...

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I could not disagree more. He is a professional footballer, so he should behave like one.

If he is refusing to travel with the squad and refusing to sit on the bench, then I hope the club hit him with the maximum fine possible and ship him out in the summer.

Downing tools becuase the manager has decided to pick another player in his postion is a disgrace.
Firstly- you have a right to express a POV as I do so respect your right to hold a different view to mine - but that’s all it is - POVs based on rumours, hearsay and obscure remarks from the manager - none of us are in complete possession of the facts.

Secondly - yes, Sanchez is not only a professional footballer but a talented, international player that still has potential to improve and needs to play football - that’s why it’s a very difficult situation - for all concerned - especially for RDZ who has to try and keep top players happy when every single one of them wants to play every week.

Thirdly - what ‘tools’ ? - Sitting on the bench for the rest of the season doing nothing? Sanchez for all intents and purposes has been replaced by Steele (all respect to Steele) - he has not dropped any tools - he hasn’t been using any, that’s the point.

Finally, you don’t know why Sanchez has requested not to be named in the squad for Newcastle - none of us do - but you can’t blame a player who wants to take time out from a squad that clearly has no room for him at the present time and question whether he wants to stay with the club or not.

All these posts suggesting we’ll get next to nothing when he goes is nonsense as it people saying Sanchez has to adapt his natural style of play to suit the coach or fcuk off as if that’s an ultimatum up to us to impose- he doesn’t have to do that, he can find a club that suits his style better and probably will with great ease in the summer window, the same way we have a GK in Steele that suits De Zerbi’s style of football better until he too is replaced with a better one.

Jul 20, 2003
This is hypothetical and empathetic in the extreme BUT if I'd grown up seeing Spain win a World Cup and a couple of Euros, then get picked to play for them, then get a go in the FA cup semi and have a good game, then find myself on the bench to a journeyman* keeper who recently didn't have a good game .... I'd have the right hump, seething and probably not be in the right frame of mind.

*I like Steele

And I like Sanchez.

looks very much like he's off and I hope he has a cracking career.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
If this is simply just a strop at being dropped then that will really tarnish his reputation for buying clubs. He's not such a good keeper that he'd be a guaranteed first choice no matter where he signed, he may well end up as reserve keeper at times, and other clubs now might think he's just not worth the hassle.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This is hypothetical and empathetic in the extreme BUT if I'd grown up seeing Spain win a World Cup and a couple of Euros, then get picked to play for them, then get a go in the FA cup semi and have a good game, then find myself on the bench to a journeyman* keeper who recently didn't have a good game .... I'd have the right hump, seething and probably not be in the right frame of mind.

*I like Steele

And I like Sanchez.

looks very much like he's off and I hope he has a cracking career.
What games has he played for Spain ?

15 mins in a World Cup qualifier after they’d qualified

45minutes of a friendly.

Let’s have it right, great he is in the squads but the scenario you are saying is even more small minded of him

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
I feel a bit sorry for Sanchez tbh. I know this is going massively against the grain but I felt that when he dropped him initially for Steele, RDZ made a bit too much of Steele being his best choice and the most competent playing out etc. it may have been said to boost Steele but it seemed largely at the expense of Sanchez and publicly slating a keeper who hadn’t really done much wrong was harsh.

Sanchez comes in against Man U in the semi-final and plays well, gets dropped back to the bench. He watches Steele drop the kind of performance he did at Everton and yet still doesn’t get back in? At that point he must be seeing that there is no pathway back to the first team for him.

Players on the bench need to see that there is a pathway into the first team for them or they become disheartened and usually leave. I think this is what’s happened here, Sanchez can’t get back in either by playing well or by Steele playing badly. I don’t think he’s gone about it the right way by throwing a strop, I can understand his being frustrated though.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
What sort of advice do these guys get? It beggars belief. Probably worse than any of the previous situations like Cucurella & Trossard. Surely an agent should say to him “do your job, it’s just a couple more weeks and we’ll get you a move in the summer”. Instead, he tarnishes his own reputation and looks an absolute bellend.

Jul 20, 2003
What games has he played for Spain ?

15 mins in a World Cup qualifier after they’d qualified

45minutes of a friendly.

Let’s have it right, great he is in the squads but the scenario you are saying is even more small minded of him
Given my limited maths that's 2 caps for one of the best international sides in the world.

I did state that my comments were from a position of possible extreme empathy and that empathy also extends to those in the BURN THE TRAITOR camp as well, if that makes you feel any better.

X

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Sanchez comes in against Man U in the semi-final and plays well, gets dropped back to the bench. He watches Steele drop the kind of performance he did at Everton and yet still doesn’t get back in? At that point he must be seeing that there is no pathway back to the first team for him.
Yeah, not a happy experience I’m sure.

If Silva and Haaland put 6 past us on 24th, I hope the same people knocking Sanchez now for getting pissed off he‘s been replaced and saying he deserved it for ‘his mistakes’, won’t afterwards be knocking RDZ for playing Steele instead of Sanchez 🤷‍♂️

(of course they will though because this is NSC 🙂)

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Firstly- you have a right to express a POV as I do so respect your right to hold a different view to mine - but that’s all it is - POVs based on rumours, hearsay and obscure remarks from the manager - none of us are in complete possession of the facts.

Secondly - yes, Sanchez is not only a professional footballer but a talented, international player that still has potential to improve and needs to play football - that’s why it’s a very difficult situation - for all concerned - especially for RDZ who has to try and keep top players happy when every single one of them wants to play every week.

Thirdly - what ‘tools’ ? - Sitting on the bench for the rest of the season doing nothing? Sanchez for all intents and purposes has been replaced by Steele (all respect to Steele) - he has not dropped any tools - he hasn’t been using any, that’s the point.

Finally, you don’t know why Sanchez has requested not to be named in the squad for Newcastle - none of us do - but you can’t blame a player who wants to take time out from a squad that clearly has no room for him at the present time and question whether he wants to stay with the club or not.

All these posts suggesting we’ll get next to nothing when he goes is nonsense as it people saying Sanchez has to adapt his natural style of play to suit the coach or fcuk off as if that’s an ultimatum up to us to impose- he doesn’t have to do that, he can find a club that suits his style better and probably will with great ease in the summer window, the same way we have a GK in Steele that suits De Zerbi’s style of football better until he too is replaced with a better one.
He wouldn’t be doing nothing, he’d be preparing to play, supporting Steele, being ready if Steele were to get injured or sent off.

As it is, he leaves us weakened if something does happen to Steele, and frankly heresay or not, at this stage of the season especially, it’s bang out of order.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Right pees me off these players who throw a strop when dropped if this is the case? Big Bob dropped a massive clanger at Palace and was supported by De Z as well as the fans there on the day. He obviously isn't happy being on the bench but surely you support your colleagues! No?
No.

Bye, Bobby. Just piss off, and we'll take as much money as we can get. Sorry, this looks like the height of unprofessionalism. What if Steele got injured and we needed Sánchez FFS?

GallodiMare

Apr 14, 2023
No.

Bye, Bobby. Just piss off, and we'll take as much money as we can get. Sorry, this looks like the height of unprofessionalism. What if Steele got injured and we needed Sánchez FFS?
It's not even that he can't play with his feet. It's rather that he slipped that ball through his hands. How many points did it cost us? Not even in the fourth division do you see a goalkeeper make a mistake like that. For RDZ mentality h'is definitely out.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Sorry but f*** him, he’s paid to do a job for the team and is refusing to do so. Donate his wages to charity. C**t

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
He wouldn’t be doing nothing, he’d be preparing to play, supporting Steele, being ready if Steele were to get injured or sent off.

As it is, he leaves us weakened if something does happen to Steele, and frankly heresay or not, at this stage of the season especially, it’s bang out of order.
I don’t buy that tbh - we are in the slightly unusual position (for a squad our size) of having two great PL seasoned GKs in the squad, so that’s a luxury not an entitlement - the situation was never going to be sustainable in terms of keeping them both happy indefinitely. GKs cant be rotated into different positions like the other members of the squad, nor do they sustain injuries or suffer fatigue at the same level as other players so unless they are rotated in to play, the options are very much more limited. In the unlikely event something happens to Steele, before the season’s out, Sanchez would step in to finish out the remaining matches, I have no reason at this stage to doubt that.

We are far more weakened by loosing March and Veltman (requiring Gross or Caceido to vacate their imo crucial MF roles to play at the back) than having a very low possibility of having to finish a game with a debut sub GK.

All I know, if I were the team leader or supervisor in my place of work and had been for over a year, was the employee of the month several times, then my boss suddenly decided that he would replace me with a junior staff member that previously I was the role model to, I be pi&&ed frankly. I’d be even more pi&&ed, if my boss then told me, you are not loosing your job because in stead of doing your job, we want you to stay as an assistant to your replacement, training him to be better, cheer him on and help him further his career. Really? If my replacement needs my training and support why are you giving him my job in the first place? Mega bucks wouldn’t make me put up with that humiliation and certainly not if my nose was being rubbed in it in front of a 30,000 other members of staff. I’d bum off work for a few days and get my shite together and start looking for another job.

Having said that, it should be stressed that we literally don’t know what’s going on exactly or why Sanchez and RDZ decided Sanchez not travelling but staying at home would be better - for all we know RDZ could be ‘saving‘ Sanchez for the Citeh game … just saying

(and for the record, we will come under heavy bombardment from Citeh forwards because they are the better team across the whole field - they have the ability to carve through our defences GK will be crucial in whether we take away any points - sorry but I trust Sanchez the Stopper more than Steele the Distributor for this match 🙁)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here