Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can we pull out of Fifa?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Say we got half of Europe onside, which isn't unthink able, I think the rest would follow!

Would that be the same Europeans who just voted against the England bid?

Unfortunately any split from FIFA would be holed beneath the waterline from the start because the organisation "gifts" considerable sums of money from its coffers to member nations (mysteriously enough, these gifts tend to arrive just before Mr Toad Blatter stands for re-election). If you're on the board of the FA in an impoverished developing nation, a Lesotho, if you will, or a Uganda or Congo, then such sums are most welcome. If you are also personally as corrupt as has been suggested, then the money will be even more welcome, and will probably never see the light of day in football terms after it disappears into the bank accounts of the nation's FIFA delegates. Those countries voting to leave FIFA would be like turkeys voting for Christmas.

FIFA also seems to be set up like Eurovision in many respects, in that countries with historical connections often vote with each other. Spain/Portugal had the votes sewn up from almost all the Latin American nations, for example.

Germany has hosted a recent World Cup, as have France, who also have Platini on the FIFA board. They're not going to side with us, and I don't think many others will either, as corruption is viewed as a necessary evil in many places still.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
If we left FIFA it would mean the end of international football for us as Blatter would ban any FIFA member team from playing us as non-members.

I really wouldn't care right now. I'm sure we could tempt most countries away from FIFA with one thing or another!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
While we could it would be pointless unless we convinced a lot of others to join us and going by how many votes we got don't seem people like us

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
To be honest I have lost nearly all faith in international football mainly because I no longer give a shit about the OVERPAID, BADLY PERFORMING and UNINSPIRING bunch of NOBS that call themselves the England football team. This World Cup announcement has just further fuelled my complete lack of care. If we were to pull out of FIFA and persuade a few other big guns to join us then maybe it would be a step in the right direction but I think a lot more needs to change as well.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
On paper it would be great to pull out of FIFA and do the double with Eurovision as well !

The trouble is, we have to be seen to be competing rather than boycotting them even though we get shat on in both. If we left FIFA it would mean the end of international football for us as Blatter would ban any FIFA member team from playing us as non-members.

However, we have been let down and indeed stitched up so often it might just be worth it to avoid the shames and humiliations heaped upon us on and off the pitch.

Vegster: I can see where your coming from with your comments, though they do seem a little contradicting (not digging you though mate). I'm as sick as you and the rest on this forum and my view is we pull out. Other countries associations would not tolerate such a situation, dont forget a game against England as well as the prestige, is worth a lot of bucks to these countries. Someone mentioned on here about setting up a rival tournament to be held on the same year as the world cup. I believe we could have more support from other countries with this move than we think.

Until the smoke filled corrupt rooms in Zurich become accountable somehow, then this freeloading will just go on and on. Small point that no-one appears to have latched onto was when Blatter was opening the envelope and he said I hope the selected bid is printed on both sides and with a wry smile said because even I don't know who it is. Proper mugging us off and no doubt I'm sure both himself and his members will do the honourable thing and return all gifts and investments made by nations with failed bids.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It would be brilliant if there was some sort of revolution and actually hand over the national game to people that cared about the game and not lining the pockets of interested parties and what-have-you.

Bagpuss

Sep 27, 2010
I think this is something that should seriously be considered. The corruption and power of FIFA is no secret and this will only continue and get stronger over time.... a stand needs to be taken at sometime by someone and it may as well be us. We have nothing to lose it seems, we will never be awarded the world cup, we are not competitive Internationally on the pitch at major finals, but above all we have the stature to lead a new way, we have the finance to manage such an undertaking and we do have some allies out there, I would imagine there are quite a few nations who are very uncomfortable with FIFA's power, but someone has to make the move.

Personally I would rather we were in the football wilderness than continue to be spineless, groveling puppets to that shower of shit. They control us and others because we allow them to, we don't need them and whatever the risks may be, I think we can prove it and make an alternative to FIFA a reality.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
The only way 'we' can leave FIFA is if the FA do it Shirley?

And, as a closed shop, they're not corrupt are they?

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
On paper it would be great to pull out of FIFA and do the double with Eurovision as well !

The trouble is, we have to be seen to be competing rather than boycotting them even though we get shat on in both. If we left FIFA it would mean the end of international football for us as Blatter would ban any FIFA member team from playing us as non-members.

Reckon the Aussies would play us, they are pretty pissed off, too. We could start up the football ashes.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
After listening to Splatter credit the Chinese with the invention of football, I got to thinking how all these foreigners got involved in the info-structure of our national game .
As usual we have our inaction and the French to thank for their part in this world wide debarcle.

This is what Wiki has to say.

Globalisation of association football
Main article: History of FIFA
The need for a single body to oversee association football had become apparent by the beginning of the 20th century, with the increasing popularity of international fixtures. The English Football Association had chaired many discussions on setting up an international body, but was perceived as making no progress. It fell to associations from seven other European countries: France, Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland, to form an international association. The Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) was founded in Paris on May 21, 1904. Its first president was Robert Guérin. The French name and acronym has remained, even outside French-speaking countries.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Would that be the same Europeans who just voted against the England bid?

Unfortunately any split from FIFA would be holed beneath the waterline from the start because the organisation "gifts" considerable sums of money from its coffers to member nations (mysteriously enough, these gifts tend to arrive just before Mr Toad Blatter stands for re-election). If you're on the board of the FA in an impoverished developing nation, a Lesotho, if you will, or a Uganda or Congo, then such sums are most welcome. If you are also personally as corrupt as has been suggested, then the money will be even more welcome, and will probably never see the light of day in football terms after it disappears into the bank accounts of the nation's FIFA delegates. Those countries voting to leave FIFA would be like turkeys voting for Christmas.

FIFA also seems to be set up like Eurovision in many respects, in that countries with historical connections often vote with each other. Spain/Portugal had the votes sewn up from almost all the Latin American nations, for example.

Germany has hosted a recent World Cup, as have France, who also have Platini on the FIFA board. They're not going to side with us, and I don't think many others will either, as corruption is viewed as a necessary evil in many places still.

Don't worry edna, we can bribe 'em & they'll all defect! Be rude not to - wot with all the surplus dosh that's sloshing around this Septic Isle at present.

Oh. :down:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The best thing about telling Blatter and the French twat to shove their FIFA and UEFA up their corrupt asses is that we can go back to a sensible offside law that we all understand. Plus, we can start eliminating all of the cheating that has been allowed to creep into our game. I'd love to see us start World Football from scratch. Again. It means I'll never ever see England compete again in a World Cup before I pop my clogs but as it is right now I don't f***ing care. Blatter, you are a corrupt cunt and you have completely betrayed the great game of football.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Surely we just invite Brazil and Argentina to the Euros and suddeny UEFA has the better tournament without all the crappy third world football nations making up the numbers?y

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Perhaps as we have a stamp out racism day at club level we should have a stamp out corruption day at international level.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Agree with many of the sentiments on this thread - we stood alone against tyranny in 1940, a last bastion of hope in an otherwise darkened world. We should do it again!

Unfortunately, you just know that as soon as you clean up a business the size of football a new wave of rot and corruption would almost immediately fill the void left behind. However good intentions we may have at the oust. It's just the way it is, something's will never change to quote the great Bruce Hornsby. It's the human psyche; greed and power for selfish individual gain at the expense of the greater good. Quite depressing really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here