Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can we emulate Norwich next season?

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I'd be more than happy with mid table next season, then maybe we could push on the season after. But as bhaexpress says "Let's not try to run before we can walk"

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Our current squad may be good enough for mid table or lower in the Championship but they would not be capable of challenging over a whole season in the playoff zone. Definitely need four or five Championship proven players.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Nobody should be upset if we finish 4th bottom - remember how hard it was before? Slightly dissapointed maybe but surviving in the Championship next season is the main and first aim.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Nobody should be upset if we finish 4th bottom - remember how hard it was before? Slightly dissapointed maybe but surviving in the Championship next season is the main and first aim.

Absolutely. Main aim is to become an established club at that level, something we were unable to do previously for obvious reasons.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
As long as we stay up I'll be more than happy.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Whilst we are doing very very well in League 1, I don't think we should underestimate the quality of players and teams in the Championship. It is choc full of internationals and players of a higher pedigree than those we currently play against. Please don't get me wrong, I think our squad can step up and, with the addition of a few new faces, we should be able to hold our own and aim for a mid table spot. Obviously I would love it if we followed in Norwich's foot steps and challenge for honours, but realistically we should be looking to establish ourselves in the Championship.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Yup, I'd say my emotions next season [provided we go up!] would be:

Bottom 3: Unhappy
4th from bottom: Content
Lower mid-table: Happy
Upper mid-table: Delighted
Play-offs: Ecstatic
Top two: Beyond wildest dreams

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Possibly

cyanide-sid

May 20, 2010
Worthing
One striker, one good midfielder ( god I`d love another Nobby Horton ), full back cover and KLL signed up and a couple of cheapy back ups and we make mid table. IMO.

Stumpy Tim

I think we'll spend & end up higher mid-table, possibly challenging for the play-offs. I think the attempt to buy Hoskins was a signal of intent, and wouldn't be surprised if Gus tucked into his European network once we're in the Championship.

If the miracle was to happen & we went up twice I don't think Gus will manage us in the Premiership - he won't want a relegation on his young CV

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Not many at all, basically same squad as last season bar Lansbury on loan and Fox. Also signed Jackson from Gillingham and some fella called Crofts....

since going up we've signed ruddy, ward, barnett, tierney. crofts, fox, jackson, wilbraham and surman

plus vokes, pacheco and lansbury on loan

also whitbread has returned from long term injury so has been like a new player

11 of those players featured in the match today

and the only starters who were at the club last season were martin, holt, hoolahan and whitbread

so yeah pretty much the same squad...

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Also Norwich had only just come down so already had a fairly strong team for this league. Once they had the right manager, they were on their way.

it was still a pretty new side tho

hoolahan and drury the only regs of the previous campaign and then got battered 7-1 on the opening day

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Forget 4th from bottom, we should reasonably expect to do significantly better this time. It's a completely different situation from 2002/3 and 2004-6. We already have better players (on the whole) than those promotion winning teams, we will not have the psychological inferiority complex associated with Withdean, we will have a much bigger budget and, all being well a better manager.

Whereas then, heroic battle against relegation with the odds stacked against us would have been the board's expectation, next year Bloom will want to see, at a minimum, mid-table consolidation as a solid championship outfit and, more optimistically, a play off push. My feeling is that we will see 4-5 good League 1 or proven championship signings and this should leave us in a good position.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
With what I've heard, I fully expect us to be pushing for the top 6 next season.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Sorry, that sounded a little secretive. What I've heard is supposed transfer budget and percentage increase in wage bill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here