Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can we ACTUALLY win the World Cup in 2010?

Can we actually win it?

• Yes- Capello has got my full backing.

Votes: 33 39.3%
  • No- Still not good enough in certain areas.

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • Maybe- we need to cut out the mistakes through.

Votes: 29 34.5%
  • Quarter final heartbreak yet again....

Votes: 10 11.9%

• Total voters

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Tbh I couldnt give a f*** whether we won it or not, Ive never been that bothered about the international scene, never have, never will!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
For me what has put the wind up England players is that he has gone out and learned English. What message does that send to the players when so few of us can speak a foreign language ?

In fairness, so have their club managers. Wenger, Benitez, Scholori have all learned the native tongue here. Even Alex Ferguson is almost coherent in english these days.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
İbrahim Tatlıses;2686431 said:
Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Turkey - all far superior teams to England :(

You're (at least part) Turkish aren't you?

Spain are definitely the best team around at the moment. Turkey aren't. They're not partuicularly close to being the best either, IMO.

Brazil and Argentina are currently not all that. They're making a real dogs dinner of qualifying and are looking distinctly average at the moment. Argentina even have Maradonna as manager. That's got to be a hindrance, surely?!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
England playing to their strengths, why not? That twat Sven bored me to death and tried to get us to play like Italy and many of you thought he was the Messiah and had made us contenders. I am actually enjoying watching England again and after initial cynicism about Capello I have to admit to being refreshed and enthusiastic about our chances. I'm willing to bet we won't go out in the pathetic manner of SVG's two cluelless world cup exits either. I doubt we'll win but I believe we may have a better chance than we have had for more than a decade and enjoy watching rather than just being grateful for a scraped victory here and there.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We've got a chance the same as about twelve other countries. The thing we DON'T want is for the team to be sent off with comments like 'Golden Generation' and 'Best side since 1970' ringing in their ears. It seems to set off a chain of high expectation leading to nervous performances leading to fan contempt leading to gutless 'what the hell' performances ... and so on until we change the manager.

It is absolutely no coincidence that the best two results of Capello's reign (last night and Croatia) came when no one expected England to win. If we can keep our expectations in check and accept that other nations have also got a chance then I reckon we'll do ok.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Please! you know what happens, everyone gets excited, there is a massive build up, every house is draped in the flag of St George, cars merrily go round the country with little flags hanging out the windown then...

BANG!

Three shit group performances, just about scrape through, maybe win one knock out game against a poor country then go out either to a penalty shoot out or some apparently completely unjustified way, just so we can blame someone else...

Repeat again in four years time...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Please! you know what happens, everyone gets excited, there is a massive build up, every house is draped in the flag of St George, cars merrily go round the country with little flags hanging out the windown then...

BANG!

Three shit group performances, just about scrape through, maybe win one knock out game against a poor country then go out either to a penalty shoot out or some apparently completely unjustified way, just so we can blame someone else...

That was SVGs England though, I feel Capello has a much better grasp on how to use the players you have to the best of their ability rather than trying to change the mentality and style. Most enthusiastic I've been since Robson was in charge, early days though admittedly and we haven't seen how he reacts to a defeat or a booing England crowd. Although he did looked absolutely gobsmacked at the treatement Cole got at the last Wembley game.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BANG!

Correct. The last game tends to be 'heroic' and glosses over the numerous inadequacies exposed during the tournament and provides the all important hard luck story.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Capello has got us playing some exciting football, he is making us exciting to watch again. His no nonsense ballshit with the England regulars, is something Sir Alf Ramsay drummed into his players, and the WAGS staying away. Can he finally bring home the World Cup in 2010?

funny you should mention Sir Alf he was a good coach and a disciplinarian and he won the world cup..................so why should'nt Capello do the same

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
With all the prima donnas 'injured' last night it was good to see a well balanced team of commited players playing good football. If Gerrard and Co are not worrying about their positions in the squad this morning then they should be.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Anyway there's plenty of time for the wheels to come off. We've only got to go a few games without a win and all the 'Capello - is he the right man?' articles in the press (and threads on here) will start to appear. You know what the patience of some people is like; probably the ones who were questioning whether he was the right choice because we didn't win the first few games!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Surely it depends who wins the General Election that will be held before then.

We all know that we only win WCs under Labour so if the Tories win, then it's no chance and if Labour win, well, we could :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surely it depends who wins the General Election that will be held before then.

We all know that we only win WCs under Labour so if the Tories win, then it's no chance and if Labour win, well, we could :)

Good point. Surely no one will vote that novice in so you heard it here first: England for 2010.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We CAN, but probably won't.

But let's please please PLEASE stick with CAUTIOUS optimism. And the following phrases should be BANNED from all English papers forever;

England Expects.

Golden Generation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here