Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can we ACTUALLY win the World Cup in 2010?

Can we actually win it?

• Yes- Capello has got my full backing.

Votes: 33 39.3%
  • No- Still not good enough in certain areas.

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • Maybe- we need to cut out the mistakes through.

Votes: 29 34.5%
  • Quarter final heartbreak yet again....

Votes: 10 11.9%

• Total voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We've got a chance the same as about twelve other countries. The thing we DON'T want is for the team to be sent off with comments like 'Golden Generation' and 'Best side since 1970' ringing in their ears. It seems to set off a chain of high expectation leading to nervous performances leading to fan contempt leading to gutless 'what the hell' performances ... and so on until we change the manager.

It is absolutely no coincidence that the best two results of Capello's reign (last night and Croatia) came when no one expected England to win. If we can keep our expectations in check and accept that other nations have also got a chance then I reckon we'll do ok.

A balanced post. So few people deal with England in moderation.

We're not s**t and we're not world beaters. We have the makings of a very good side who on their day can match anyone. Top 6.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Another thing I liked about the Germany game was it put to bed the moronic "no strength in depth cos too many foriegns in england innit" argument. Our B team was good enough to see off a slightly weakened Germany team easily.

As a Welshman looking in - you do seem to have improved and the result in Croatia was a shock to the system!
Last night I wouldn't hold too much stock with - Germany's first choice XI doesn't look anything like the team they put out last night (neither does yours, I know!), so not much to be learned really, Agbonlahor looked good though.
An easy qualifying group, decent draw in the finals - yes you could win the thing.
:(

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As a Welshman looking in - you do seem to have improved and the result in Croatia was a shock to the system!
Last night I wouldn't hold too much stock with - Germany's first choice XI doesn't look anything like the team they put out last night (neither does yours, I know!), so not much to be learned really, Agbonlahor looked good though.
An easy qualifying group, decent draw in the finals - yes you could win the thing.
:(

Thank you for a positive review from an non-english Briton! Surprising.

Germany's team was full-strength but for 3 players (important ones, admittedly).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Without getting too carried away, I think we have a very good chance with this fella in charge. Unlike previous incumbents, Capello is a man with a track record that COMMANDS respect, and his no-nonsense manner is EXACTLY whats needed in that England dressing room.

When players are working week-in, week-out with quality managers of the calibre of Wenger, Ferguson and Mourinho, it must have been almost laughable for them to meet up with the England squad and take instruction from the likes of McLaren and "vell, errrrrrr" Sven. Unlike them, Capello looks like he might just have the ability to inspire, and really get these players playing for him.

You need a bit of luck on the way as well to win a tournament, but I'm optimistic that we won't be the embarrassing SHAMBLES we've been in the last few tournaments. We've got a decent chance.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Hope so, but lets get there 1st. I hope Capello does not fall out with the FA between now and 2010 - we have more chance with him of competeing with the best and winning something since 1996

hillbilly

In the hill, not over it!
Sep 1, 2008
Burgess Hill
We have a CHANCE. Very valid comments by some so far. Two points I have not seen on this thread yet (hope not to be fixtures) which have been a problem for us in the past is:

1. We play more games during a season than any other nation
2. We always get on the wrong end of dodgy ref decisions

A good point was made that it will be the South African winter, we certainly suffered in the heat in 2002.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Are South African winters COLD then? I was under the impression that it will still be pretty hot and humid...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Are South African winters COLD then? I was under the impression that it will still be pretty hot and humid...

I work with a woman from Johannesburg
She said that in June it can be bloody COLD there. The wind "cuts right through you".

The weather won't be the thing to worry about though. The main problem will be trying not to get murdered.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I work with a woman from Johannesburg
She said that in June it can be bloody COLD there. The wind "cuts right through you".

The weather won't be the thing to worry about though. The main problem will be trying not to get murdered.

Does anyone know if they are playing any games at Ellis Park in Joburg?

If so, good luck to any fans hoping to walk casually around the ground before kick off.

I don't think you will get twenty yards...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here