Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can Vicente still be an Albion hero?

Can Vicente still be an Albion hero?

• Total voters

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He is a flair player. He is also a lazy fucker who when he loses the ball does no tackling or tracking back.

He is NOT suited to the Championship. Look at our record with him playing at the end of the season.

I think we can do better for our money if he was on high wages as reported elsewhere.

A "box to box" player like Steve Sidwell (see another thread) would be a better bet for a team in our position.

Not really sure what to say to that. Apart from I disagree with pretty much all of it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He is a flair player. He is also a lazy fucker who when he loses the ball does no tackling or tracking back.

He is NOT suited to the Championship. Look at our record with him playing at the end of the season.

I think we can do better for our money if he was on high wages as reported elsewhere.

A "box to box" player like Steve Sidwell (see another thread) would be a better bet for a team in our position.

Yes, who needs a player that has the clubs highest number of assists (9), 3rd highest shots on target (18) and 3 goals in 11 starts and 8 substitute appearances!

You obviously didn't watch many of the games with him in toward the end. Our loss of form would have been a lot more dramatic than it was had he not played. You
only had to have been at the Portsmouth and Derby games to know that.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Compensating for the hyperbole of the options, I've gone for best player ever I'll live with his latin temperament. I'm not offended that he is negotiating with the club and considering other options, but I tend not to get so attached to players that I idolise them, so it seemed the best option in the poll.

Given some of the anger directed at Caldy, and the criticism vicente was getting while out injured, and the wy they were still well loved despite this, I imagine if vicente does come back he will be taken as an albion hero by the fans again.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
Because I am a football fan, and as such am as fickle as f***.

spit-water-smiley.gif

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
... ... ... Our loss of form would have been a lot more dramatic than it was had he not played.... ...

Our loss of form coincided with him playing for extended periods. When he played we were one dimensional. It was so clear that everyone had been told to get the ball to him. Other teams closed him down, and we were f***ed. How many tackles did he make? How many kms did he run?

Football is a game of opinions, and in my opinion, he was too much of a luxury to play whole matches.

Yes, as an impact sub, he was outstanding. He can change a match with some magic. He is not so effective over 90 minutes.

This thread is about him being a "hero". I would not afford him that status for the reasons I have stated. Bobby Zamora is a "Hero" when he was not scoring goals, he was running all over the park closing players down and defending. That is what I expect from someone with "hero" status.

It also asks if the wages could be better spend on another type of player, and in my opinion, they would be better spent on someone like Sidwell.

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
He is one of those players who, irrespective of the outcome of the current situation, I will look back years from now and say "I saw him play for the Albion", much as the older generation do about Wardy et al.

I'm not saying he's a legend, but I've bloody loved watching him play for us.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It also asks if the wages could be better spend on another type of player, and in my opinion, they would be better spent on someone like Sidwell.

In a nut shell, this is why English football is where it is. Coaches from the Sunday morning U12's up to championship sides will prefer a Steve Sidwell, up and down work horse over the magical creative talent of a player like Vicente, a 'luxury' player in the English game, doesn't like it up him does he!?

...How many tackles did he make, how many kilometres did he run?... These really are the important points aren't they. Really surprising England didn't get further at the Euro's as they ran around and tackled a lot!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I find it amusing that some people are being forgiving towards Vicente because of his Latin temperament but harsh on Gus who also has Latin temperament.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
The problem with having Vicente in the side is that the team relied on him for everything creative. Considering we're not quite Spanish national team tippy tippy quality yet, we can't rely on a player who has awesome sparks of creativity when on the ball, but doesn't track back. Maybe in a few years when we are, having Vicente in the side my work.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
If he goes onto greater or lesser things i am overjoyed to the core that he donned the stripes even if his mind was in panic, and that we made enough of a difference to his temperament and mental wellbeing to have him want to play so much again. We should be both proud of ourselves and honoured. He's a hero to me and i like to think deep down the club is a hero to him too. Maybe not enough to make him stay, but a valuable fragment of life for him to remember when he parts.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It is simply too rare that we ever get a chance of a player with his special qualities. I don't think he play for the Albion again. Mainly because he is Spanish speaking and a family man now.

There is a precedent of a player who did not want to come to the Albion but did: Gordon Smith. But he was younger.

With our new full back, I though Vicente might come back. Vicente seems enthusiastic when he scores, not like the dour Gerrard.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
vicente a brighton hero,well he bagged 2 against pompey

but barry butlin on loan from sheff utd got the winner at shithurst park

i see butlin every much a brighton hero as vicente,for the time being

the chap from spain needs to do abit more in my view,to stand out from the rest of our brighton heroes

peter ward for example :bowdown:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
In a nut shell, this is why English football is where it is. Coaches from the Sunday morning U12's up to championship sides will prefer a Steve Sidwell, up and down work horse over the magical creative talent of a player like Vicente, a 'luxury' player in the English game, doesn't like it up him does he!?

...How many tackles did he make, how many kilometres did he run?... These really are the important points aren't they. Really surprising England didn't get further at the Euro's as they ran around and tackled a lot!

How many passengers did Spain have in their team? To be fair to them, every one of them ran and ran to make themselves available. NOT like Vicente at all.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Pitty he didn't leave it in to soak a month later , him and his Mrs would of been back now and none of this may of happend 9 months ago when he was so injured !

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
The way I see it.

Vicente - Wants to go to Elche.
BHAFC - Want some compensation for the money spent getting him fit.
Elche - Want to sign Vicente but don't want to pay out his contract.

It's a shame he doesn't want to stay with us after we helped get him fit and playing regular football again but I can't really blame him as his wife wants the kids brought up in Spain.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The way I see it.

Vicente - Wants to go to Elche.
BHAFC - Want some compensation for the money spent getting him fit.
Elche - Want to sign Vicente but don't want to pay out his contract.

It's a shame he doesn't want to stay with us after we helped get him fit and playing regular football again but I can't really blame him as his wife wants the kids brought up in Spain.

Vicente has millions himself so he can pay the compensation so that he can stay local. Sorted.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
How many passengers did Spain have in their team? To be fair to them, every one of them ran and ran to make themselves available. NOT like Vicente at all.

That just isn't true. One of the reasons Vicente was on the ball so much when he played is because he was always available.

Constantly taking stats out of context to try and prove a point is ridiculous. If you take the time to actually look at the stats and what happened when he came on/left the pitch you would see that it is not a fact that our form dipped simply due to him being in the team. There are loads of other factors, the main one being the other team or how about a shit ref?

Last edited:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
To be fair he's a class player but it's not the end of the world if he dosn'nt want to play for us. I'd rather get someone else in that wanted to play for us than force him to stay. It was nice while it lasted.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Hasn't done anything wrong. It seems pretty clear that the problems are to do with a meddling agent and a nagging wife.

Yep, I think the baby and girlfriend thing are the important things that are going to sway Vicente's ultimate decision on where he is going to end up.

I personally think the staying in Spain looking pretty much nailed-on now even if we come in with a mega-money offer. :down:

Definitely one of the most flare players that has played for BHA throughout the club's history. At least most of us can say that we saw him play for the club, in what was an amazing first season in the new stadium :amex:

I just like to get him to play in the friendlies against Reading, so that another club legend, FDM, get's a good crowd. And the Chelsea game, to see how good he could be up in the Premier League. And then we could all say our farewell's to him :salute:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here