Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can the United States win the World Cup?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Don't be silly, ranking hasn't got much to say about it. Dodgy refs and players with short tempers are far more of a factor in my book. I wouldn't be surprised if neither the Yanks nor the Anglo-Italian team make the quarters.
I'm going to bed now, but I'll leave you to stew in your crappy notion that New Zealand are clearly as likely to win it as Brazil because they got fewer yellow cards in the qualifying rounds.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Dempsey is a quality player though, as is Landon Donovan. Bradley and Holden are good, if workmanlike, midfielders their defence is fairly solid and Howard's a good keeper. They are not a bad side at all, probably the best the US has ever produced. Obviously they won't win it but they could trouble some bigger nation in the same way Australia did in 2006.
Totally agree. The USA are a team greater than the sum of their parts and a dangerous outfit, but as you know, that's not what I'm disputing.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Any team in the tournament could win it, but its very unlikely that a lesser nation will, doesn't mean its impossible though.

So could the US win it? - I theory yes.
But will they actually win it is an entirely different question

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ridiculous debate.

England have a much, much bigger chance of winning it than the USA.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Anyone CAN win it, but there a a lot that probably won't.
New Zealand are capable of pulling off a fluke result, they recently beat Australia in a friendly, but having 7 fluke games in a row would be something.:wink:

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Any team in the tournament could win it, but its very unlikely that a lesser nation will, doesn't mean its impossible though.

So could the US win it? - I theory yes.
But will they actually win it is an entirely different question

Thank you for that in depth insight into the laws of chance and the rules of possibility. I shall remember not to begin any question with "Can...?" from now on!

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
It is physically possible, but it won't happen. Have some good players but in a knockout tournament they havn't got the team as a whole to win.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
New Zealand are capable of pulling off a fluke result, they recently beat Australia in a friendly, but having 7 fluke games in a row would be something.:wink:

when was that then?

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Oops! I meant they beat Serbia who are 63 places above them in 2010 world rankings.:shootself

Australia are not half the team they used to be, would not surprise me if NZ came out of this with the same or more points than the convicts.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Australia are not half the team they used to be, would not surprise me if NZ came out of this with the same or more points than the convicts.
You are right about The Socceroos not being what they were, I've voiced my opinion on life after Viduka before so won't bore everyone again. However, if NZ get a point they will have succeeded IMHO. Don't be too quick to rule out The Socceroos either, they may not be exciting but they are hard to beat and if Cahill and Kewell are both fit have two quality X factors.
No Essiean for Ghana, no Ballack for Germany - Group D could be very interesting, not only for the fact that the runner up will likely play England in Round 2.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Every four years I get really excited, and think England will win. They never do. This year, Im not excited by the team or recent performances, and think we dont have a prayer. On that basis, obviously, England will be returning with the trophy.
:clap:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Er, I can help you guys out here, and put this debate to bed.

I have been drawn as the USA in the high stakes NSC sweepstake. This means that they have NO chnace of winning it. Fact.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here