Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can the United States win the World Cup?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
.....no, but I wouldnt be so sure that Italy, Argentina or Germany are that far away!!!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anything is possible !

[yt]gQ_KepN_GnE[/yt]

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Anything is possible !

[yt]gQ_KepN_GnE[/yt]

Is the right answer. Been telling people that for years when they say "err yeah um right err England are shit aint they"

If Greece can win Euro 2004, any country can win any tournament with a bit of luck...

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
I remember being in Greece when they won Euro 2004 and all the locals were going mental (obviously) driving their cars into the sea, going nuts, it was a good atmosphere though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd say they have about the same chance as England.
Don't be absurd.

They've got to the quarters like, once, EVER. Their current team is good in patches, but their squad has no strength in depth. England are MUCH better than USA and therefore have a better chance of winning it.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Don't be absurd.

They've got to the quarters like, once, EVER. Their current team is good in patches, but their squad has no strength in depth. England are MUCH better than USA and therefore have a better chance of winning it.

But they don't have Heskey in their squad which balances things out

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But they don't have Heskey in their squad which balances things out
They have got Robbie Findley though, and he can't hit a cows arse with a banjo. And Findlay plays alongside Clint Dempsey or Edson Buddle, not Wayne Rooney who is in the top 3 players in the world.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
They have got Robbie Findley though, and he can't hit a cows arse with a banjo. And Findlay plays alongside Clint Dempsey or Edson Buddle, not Wayne Rooney who is in the top 3 players in the world.

But importantly, does he / has he also injured one of your key central defenders on the eve of the tournament, ruling them out ?

The States have a pretty settled side that plays together more often than England do, therefore they should / will have a better understanding etc, and this makes up to some extent their lack of a Rooney type player. Take away Rooney and our team looks pretty poor in the Striker department

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
USA has beat some of the top footballing countries in recent years, England hasn't. England can take care of the Slovenia's and Alergia's of the world but when they come up against a nation like Germany, Brasil, Italy, etc, they fall to peices everytime.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But importantly, does he / has he also injured one of your key central defenders on the eve of the tournament, ruling them out ?

The States have a pretty settled side that plays together more often than England do, therefore they should / will have a better understanding etc, and this makes up to some extent their lack of a Rooney type player. Take away Rooney and our team looks pretty poor in the Striker department
I don't disagree with what you say, but the Juan's assertion that the USA are as likely to win it as England are remains a crock of shit.

USA are ranked, maybe 15th or 16th of the 32 nations, England are 8th at the very worst and are one of only 7 nations to have won it before. We have as much chance of winning it as they do of getting to the semis.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I don't disagree with what you say, but the Juan's assertion that the USA are as likely to win it as England are remains a crock of shit.

USA are ranked, maybe 15th or 16th of the 32 nations, England are 8th at the very worst and are one of only 7 nations to have won it before. We have as much chance of winning it as they do of getting to the semis.

Don't be silly, ranking hasn't got much to say about it. Dodgy refs and players with short tempers are far more of a factor in my book. I wouldn't be surprised if neither the Yanks nor the Anglo-Italian team make the quarters.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Dempsey is a quality player though, as is Landon Donovan. Bradley and Holden are good, if workmanlike, midfielders their defence is fairly solid and Howard's a good keeper. They are not a bad side at all, probably the best the US has ever produced. Obviously they won't win it but they could trouble some bigger nation in the same way Australia did in 2006.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here