Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can anyone who knows about PCs fix this?

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Its XP, haven't used it in about 2 years, so started deleting all old shit I didn't need anymore.
Tried to download something and I get the message "your security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded"
Like WTF?
Wasted about an hour lowering security shit, deleting Norton, googling it.
Everything says do the following:
Your Current Security Settings Do Not Allow This File To Be Downloaded | IT Solutions Knowledge Base

None of this f***ing shit works and I wanna throw it out the f***ing window.
Does anyone ACTUALLY know how to fix this f***ing problem and is not going to say "CLICK ENABLE ON FILE DOWNLOAD IN INTERNET OPTIONS" I've tried that about a million f***ing times.

Marshal Josip Tito

Маршал н
Nov 29, 2011
Yugoslavia
Download Linux Mint from here Download - Linux Mint

Burn that onto a CD or make a bootable USB stick (instructions on the site) and breathe new life into your old machine with a completely new operating system that isn't total shit. It's ever so simple and user friendly and won't cost you a penny. Any problems you encounter you can easily find answers to across the internet. Nothing you can't do has not been fixed before.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Download Linux Mint from here Download - Linux Mint

Burn that onto a CD or make a bootable USB stick (instructions on the site) and breathe new life into your old machine with a completely new operating system that isn't total shit. It's ever so simple and user friendly and won't cost you a penny. Any problems you encounter you can easily find answers to across the internet. Nothing you can't do has not been fixed before.

Follow the advice above if you are geek. Follow the one above that if you are gay.

What you want to do is upgrade to the latest Internet Explorer which is version 8 if you are on XP. Then click the "set to default" under the security settings. YOu could also just install Firefox which is piss easy to install and use and also imports all your favourites and stuff.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Its XP, haven't used it in about 2 years, so started deleting all old shit I didn't need anymore.
Tried to download something and I get the message "your security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded"
Like WTF?
Wasted about an hour lowering security shit, deleting Norton, googling it.
Everything says do the following:
Your Current Security Settings Do Not Allow This File To Be Downloaded | IT Solutions Knowledge Base

None of this f***ing shit works and I wanna throw it out the f***ing window.
Does anyone ACTUALLY know how to fix this f***ing problem and is not going to say "CLICK ENABLE ON FILE DOWNLOAD IN INTERNET OPTIONS" I've tried that about a million f***ing times.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Follow the advice above if you are geek. Follow the one above that if you are gay.

What you want to do is upgrade to the latest Internet Explorer which is version 8 if you are on XP. Then click the "set to default" under the security settings. YOu could also just install Firefox which is piss easy to install and use and also imports all your favourites and stuff.

What on earth has that got to do with an operating system? You do talk shit over west.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
What on earth has that got to do with an operating system? You do talk shit over west.

says the man who said to upgrade his entire computer to windows 7. Well obviously that would work. But sledgehammer/nut surely.

West?? I live in Brighton.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
says the man who said to upgrade his entire computer to windows 7. Well obviously that would work. But sledgehammer/nut surely.

West?? I live in Brighton.

You still know f*** all about computers, much like your football.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea

I already use firefox and it wont download on that either

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Maybe you can use "system restore"even though its been 2 years mmmmm???

This , put it back to what it was 2 years ago and then update from there , deleting all the shit might have included some "useful" shit.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Best idea would be to format the drive and re install the operating system.
Start afresh.

And you said that without sounding grumpy.

Tbh, that's what I'd do, after copying all your stuff that you want from the old hard drive to an external drive of course, which is why I always partition my hard drives so that the c drive contains only the OS. If it get's corrupted or whatever ( whatever maybe, as in this case), format, re load, back to normal.

That's only my advice without actually seeing it of course.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Buy (or pirate) a copy of windows 7, then install it, problems solved, it's XP, it's 11 years old.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Buy (or pirate) a copy of windows 7, then install it, problems solved, it's XP, it's 11 years old.

You say that HP, but I still use XP pro, and find it bloody superb.

But then again, I do tend to live in the past..........

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

If the puter is at least 2 years old its likely that it wont have a fast enough processor or enough ram to rum windows 7, plus there is nothing 7 has will benefit it over xp.

I have several copies of 7 that came with various puters I've bought but prefer to run xp.

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
This happened to me on my old steam driven machine here,it turned out that my Microsoft License Key had expired,I updated/renewed it and computer has been saying "Yes" ever since....Just a thought.. but don't quote me as I am no expert.Good luck.

Marshal Josip Tito

Маршал н
Nov 29, 2011
Yugoslavia
Hence why Linux is your best bet. It won't cost you anything and will run happily on your hardware because it is designed to make the most of what it has to work with, as opposed to Windows which wants to make full use of everything it can to look flash.

As pointed out, XP is over ten years old. Mint Linux has a new version released every six months, and you can always update it for free.

You don't even need to remove your Windows. Just install Mint on a separate partition of your hard drive and when you turn the machine on you get a choice whether you want to boot into Linux or Windows.

Gone are the days when Linux was only the techy geek's choice. It's now a realistic and sensible option for anyone, regardless of their computing knowledge.

You've nothing to lose by investigating

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here