Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can anyone who knows about PCs fix this?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You say that HP, but I still use XP pro, and find it bloody superb.

But then again, I do tend to live in the past..........

No you're right, XP was an extremely good OS and worth keeping as long as it is supported. Combined NT with Windows, made it literally crash proof and very slick. Sometimes wish I still had XP to be honest.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Hence why Linux is your best bet. It won't cost you anything and will run happily on your hardware because it is designed to make the most of what it has to work with, as opposed to Windows which wants to make full use of everything it can to look flash.

As pointed out, XP is over ten years old. Mint Linux has a new version released every six months, and you can always update it for free.

You don't even need to remove your Windows. Just install Mint on a separate partition of your hard drive and when you turn the machine on you get a choice whether you want to boot into Linux or Windows.

Gone are the days when Linux was only the techy geek's choice. It's now a realistic and sensible option for anyone, regardless of their computing knowledge.

You've nothing to lose by investigating

Think I'm going to give this one a go, let u know how I get on later. fingers crossed

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Got Linux on my PC but what do I do with it lol, doesn't give me many options.

Attachments

• linux2.JPG
    linux2.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 22

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

ah, Linux is soooo easy isnt it :rolleyes:

not your fault chap, its like a mechanic telling you its dead easy to do a cylinder head swap - it is if you're familiar with a few tools and methods and have some direction.

you need to burn the downloaded iso image to disk, use nero or download (hang on, this may get recursive...) a free burning tool. note you need to make an image CD not burn a data CD (the burn software should do this for you). then boot your machine to CD - ie leave it in and it should read and run from the CD on start up.

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
clearly some Mac fans have too much money and dont understand the idea of reusing an old but perfectly workable peice of hardware.

Im still paying off my mac so I do not have a lot of money.
Of course he can reuse it, but a Mac would make his life a lot easier.

Marshal Josip Tito

Маршал н
Nov 29, 2011
Yugoslavia

Don't worry, you just need to burn that file to a CD or USB stick

There are step by step instructions for burning to a CD here:

From Windows to Linux for the average Joe: How to download and burn a Linux Mint or Ubuntu live CD?

Once you've burned the file to the CD you just need to restart the computer with the newly burned CD in the drive and it will come up with a nice pretty screen asking you what you'd like to do - such as try Linux, install Linux over Windows, install Linux alongside Windows or just mess about with the size of your hard disk partitions.

I have done all of this many times for a lot of people who've all been 100% delighted with the way Linux has managed to breathe new life into their aging machines so if you need any help at all just send me a message and I'd be happy to help. Gonna be sat at my computer for the next couple of hours listening in to the game anyway (I can't be there in person as I'm about 800 miles away).

It sounds daunting at first, but don't be afraid. Once you've got your CD ready to get the install under way you'll be guided through the process with a very simple and easy interface, like the below

3rd.png

It's not complicated lines of code or anything like that

Marshal Josip Tito

Маршал н
Nov 29, 2011
Yugoslavia
Except of course, my approaching 7 year old macbook pro that's never had to be re-installed from scratch?

As it happens I have a very lovely MacBook Pro from about 2007 which I'd not swap for the world. However this thread is about a chap who's struggling with his old Windows machine. It's not realistic to assume he's in the market to simply replace it with an expensive Apple product.

My love for my MacBook doesn't mean I can't recommend installing Linux as a sensible course of action for the OP

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here