Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can anyone remember the shops in the old Churchill Square?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
What about 'The Wall' where the skateboarders went near the old Churchill Square.

Seemed to be between the parking and shopping area, think you had to climb over fences and walls to get there.

Just one railing next to where Borders was, riding it the first time was up there with....

Doctor Nobby

Nov 7, 2012
I worked in Bejam in about 1979 , and used to spend more time in LR Cloake the record shop a couple of doors along where a certain Mick Fuller [still around today] dispensed the sounds.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Where do people meet, now that the legendary 'Wishing Well' has gone!?

I'm one of those people (one of the few judging by this thread) who never met anyone at this Wishing Well.

In fact, this thread has been an eye-opener to me. I was a teenager in Brighton for most of the 1970s and yet I have little recollection of Churchill Square. I'm truly amazed at the number of people with memories of the place: I doubt if I set foot in the area more than half a dozen times. It's been an interesting thread to read - particularly about the streets that were demolished - but am I the only Brightonian of those times who has no room in his heart for Churchill Square?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Good call. I bet many relationships started there. There should be a plaque or something to commemorate this piece of history.

Wasnt there a grate in the wishing well under the water, sometimes the coins would balance between the slats and you would dip your hand in for free money, I am sure it was mainly the EF students that actually threw coins in it.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
It did, however piror to that it was the WH Smith music dept, bfore moving over the road at the back into its own stand alone shop

Correct - I worked in WH Smiths in those days. the book department was upstairs, Main shop on the ground floor and the travel agency downstairs. There was a basement below that, not accessable to the public, where stock was stored.

Jello Biafra

Aug 8, 2011
I acquired Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik and the Pogues' 1st album, (with Waxie's Dargle on it), at the HMV store. Place just isn't the same these days. It must have been cool before the concrete monstrosity was constructed as it was like the Lanes wasn't it.

Jello Biafra

Aug 8, 2011
Correct - I worked in WH Smiths in those days. the book department was upstairs, Main shop on the ground floor and the travel agency downstairs. There was a basement below that, not accessable to the public, where stock was stored.
Do you remember an inebriated 17-year old buying Bram Stoker's Dracula, one Friday afternoon in 1986? If so that was me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here