Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Campsite recomendations

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I love camping, had many a happy August bank holiday weekend in Hollands Wood. Great spot.

Kids getting to age where they are not interest anymore, so if anyone is after a conway challenger folding camper (erected in 30 mins, ooer mrs) I have one going for about £500. Just right for a camping holiday in Ireland to pick it up :wink:

Re camping films, love carry on camping but Nuts in May is my favourite.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
I can also recommend Sandy Balls (if you want a camping lite experience). All the advantages for a young family of having entertainment laid on, and a pub on site.

Hollands wood is also good, for a more back woods style of camping. My tip for Hollands Wood is to pitch on to the right of the road that runs through it as the road can be very noisy. Also choos your pitch very carefully if the weather is inclement, last time we went there we had to move the tent 3 times, As we kept getting flooded out, not fun.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
1859974.jpg

This takes a bit of beating, if you fancy heading for the lakes...

AlbionKebabs

Sep 23, 2005
Hove innit, you mug.
Try Hollands Wood at Brockenhurst. Some of our best family weekends were spent there. There is a meadow in front of the site for games, the site is large and there are lots of families. It is close to Brockhurst for chippies/chinese etc if you don't fancy cooking. You can walk there for the pubs. There is a small river nearby suitable for paddling. It has planty of toilets and showers (well enough anyway).

You can make some good memories for the kids there.

Another recommendation for Hollands Woods, just got back from a sunny weekend there. Lovely spot in the woods, quiet at the moment and loads of space. Good pubs nearby.

Attachments

• hollands wood.jpg
    hollands wood.jpg
    562.9 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Thanks for all your comments, really helpful.

Some discussion in the giraffe house as to whether we should go to a camp with electric hook up. My view is that we don't need it and the setting is more important. Any views on this?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We have promised the kids we will go camping this year. We have the tent, and some of the will, but where should we go? Likely to only be a long weekend rather than any longer.

Anyone got any good suggestions for campsites. We're thinking of New Forest way perhaps, but happy to consider further afield for the right site.

If they're quite little kids, I'd recommend the Isle of Wight. Ferry trips are an exciting adventure for little 'uns, and it's relatively easy and cheap to get around once you're there. Pretty relaxing too, if memory serves. Plus we're due a decent Summer. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
We went there once - it was ok - but a bit noisy from the road - and not the trees and sense of being in the New Forest I seem to remember.

you sure? The nearest pitch to the road is a fair distance away and the furthest is best part of a mile away. As for no sense of being in the new forest i nearly shat meself when banging in a tent peg and 2 horses ran past me at full throttle about 1.5 yards away...

Some discussion in the giraffe house as to whether we should go to a camp with electric hook up. My view is that we don't need it and the setting is more important. Any views on this?

Never even thought of using electric hook-up before - it's not needed.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We've not used an electric hookup but the sites we've been to have offered it if required. Seems to be mainly used by caravaners.

Showers goes without saying - who would stay somewhere without a shower?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We've not used an electric hookup but the sites we've been to have offered it if required. Seems to be mainly used by caravaners.

Showers goes without saying - who would stay somewhere without a shower?

We have a trailer tent and electric is good for lights, to boil a kettle for hot water for a brew and to help with cooking if needed.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Lytton Lawn is superb

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We have a trailer tent and electric is good for lights, to boil a kettle for hot water for a brew and to help with cooking if needed.

Pretty much a caravan then.

We do all cooking, including boiling water for hot drinks, on a 2 ring gas stove thing. It even has a grill.

I managed to do garlic bread WITH CHEESE on our grill. Oh yes.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

We usually have a hook-up. If you're going for more than a couple of days it is useful to charge lamps, phones etc If you've got the children with you then it can also be useful whewn the rain is hammering down and they want to watch a dvd. At this point Mrs Hiney says that it is also useful for hair straighteners!!

There are plenty of very picturesque sites that also have pitches with hook-up.

Join the Camping & Caravanning Club The Camping and Caravanning Club - Welcome to The Club
as you get some good deals on some lovely sites.

A bit further afield - the Damage Barton site just outside Woolacombe is superb

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
From what I remember seeing - to use an electric hook-up, you need a special hook-up cable - presumably quite heavy duty and outdoors/water proof. So if you intend to use a hook-up you'll need to buy one of those first - you can't just plug in a standard home extension lead or similar.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
From what I remember seeing - to use an electric hook-up, you need a special hook-up cable - presumably quite heavy duty and outdoors/water proof. So if you intend to use a hook-up you'll need to buy one of those first - you can't just plug in a standard home extension lead or similar.

You do mine is one I had with my campervan and I use an RCB to run the extention leads off of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here